Hawk Happenings: Oct.4th
Holy Rosary Regional School/Juan Diego Academy Community
Message from the Principal - Oct. 4, 2017
It has been very busy around the school this week. We began our MAP testing this week and are starting with the middle school students. Grades 6, 7, and 8 will be done with all 3 tests (Math, Reading, Language Usage) by the end of this week. Then, we will move on to 5th, 4th, 3rd, and 2nd. This test will give us some additional information so that we can further differentiate instruction for all 2nd through 8th grade students throughout the school year. This is just one data point, but it will be very useful. Also, today was Picture Day and all of the kids looked amazing. Thank you for sending in your forms. If you didn't send in a form and payment, you can still order pictures online.
Tomorrow, we will do our first Lockdown Drill at the school. The teachers have worked with the kids to prepare them for this drill. The amount of information given during the preparation is largely dependent upon the age of the students. We do not want to scare or overwhelm the students, but we need to make sure everyone is prepared in the event of a major safety event at the school. We also practice earthquake and fire drills monthly. Tomorrow's Lockdown Drill will be right after morning announcements, so if you arrive late to school, we will be in Lockdown for a little while and you won't be able to enter the building. Please know that the safety of your children is of the utmost importance to us.
Have a wonderful week.
- Thursday, Oct. 5th - Spirit/Seahawks Gear, Parent Service Club Meeting at 8 am in the Parish Office building, Lockdown Drill, MAP Testing
- Friday, Oct. 6th - All School Mass at 9 am, Map Testing
- Sunday, Oct. 8th - CYO Cross Country Meet from 2 - 4 pm at Mt. Tahoma (Go Hawks!)
- Map Testing for grades 2 - 5 all week
- Apply for the Fulcrum scholarship...directions went out earlier this week (via Smore) in English and Spanish!
CYO Cross Country: Go Hawks!
From the Development Office:
Recently we kicked off the Annual Fund Appeal campaign. I hope that you had a chance to review the letter in the weekly communication folder. This letter also goes out to 800 donors including alumni, parishioners, and friends of Holy Rosary School. This fund is very important to our school as it helps fund curriculum, teacher's salaries, and new outdoor playground equipment. The goal has increased 50% from last year and is $146,000. I am asking you to make a donation to the Annual Fund this year. You can choose to make a one time donation or you can pledge a monthly amount. This year we are hoping for 100% support from our staff and school families at amounts appropriate to their individual abilities. To donate to this fund you can stop by the office or do a secure donation online, by using the following link:https://secure.lglforms.com/form_engine/s/o5kPfZnwU-9YPZxE8gatew
A big thanks to the following families/staff for your Annual Fund Appeal/Playground Equipment donations:
Bridget Yaden & Jeff Smith
Richard & Stephanie Hernandez
Jeff & Claudia Klein
Jesse & Amanda Schweickert
Daryl & Raquel Lambrecht
Javier & Anita Lemus
Paul & Janel Martin
Casey & Sarah McKinney
Epitacio Garibay & Erika Ruelas
Have you heard of iGive.com? If you have not, it is a great opportunity to support our school by shopping at over 1,700 online retailers. All you have to do is go to the following link to get started: http://www.igive.com/iNZ78dE Once there select Holy Rosary Regional School Juan Diego Academy and a portion of the profits will go to our school. Retailers include 1-800-Pet Meds, Babies R Us, Walmart and so many more. It is a quick and easy way to support our school. Thanks to the Young/Clifton family for bringing this site to our attention.
Parking Lot Reminder! Safety Issue!
- Drive through the carpool lane to let your child(ren) in/out of the car
- Park your car and WALK your child(ren) across the parking lot.
We have people driving around the drop off/pick up line, dropping their children off in the middle of the parking lot, and driving away, leaving their children to cross the busy parking lot unsupervised. This is very unsafe. Children should NEVER be left alone to cross the parking lot for ANY reason during drop off/pick up. Thank you to those who have been fantastic at following these rules! We really appreciate it!
- This week, Ms. Sonia headed to Puerto Rico to assist her parents with FEMA, as their entire home was destroyed by the hurricane. Thank you to the parents who have stepped up to assist Ms. Patty and Ms. Hazel in the Pre-K 4A room during Sonia's absence. Veronica, Susan, Xochitl, and Juana...muchas gracias!
- German and Jesus...thank you so much for finishing up our painting in the stairwell and on the 3rd floor!
- Coach Pickles, Jessica, Craig, and all assistant coaches...thank you for the CYO Cross Country program!
- Camai...thank you for the Box Top program.
- Leianna...thank you for running the chocolate sale (only 7 boxes left!).
- Jackie Lemus..thank you for our beautiful Dia de los Muertos altar near the front office (check it out if you haven't seen it!)
- Parent Service Club members (Amanda, Colleen, Shanan, Sarah, Sophia, and Ralph)...thank you for your dedication and support!
- Picture Day volunteers... Thank you!
- To all of the many parents who help in a million ways...we couldn't do it without you!
MARK YOUR CALENDARS!
CYO Cross Country Meet
Sunday, Oct. 8th, 2-4pm
4634 South 74th Street
Progress Reports Go Home
Wednesday, Oct. 11th, 3pm
504 South 30th Street
Chocolate Sale ends October 13th!
Friday, Oct. 13th, 3pm
504 South 30th Street
Don't forget to SELL, SELL, SELL that chocolate. We will have prizes for the top 3 sellers in the school:
1st Place - Drone
2nd Place - Wild Waves Pass
3rd Place - Movie Tickets
Each box of chocolate is valued at $60 and each family is responsible for selling at least $100 for the fall fundraiser. If you only have one child at the school, you will either need to sell two boxes or sell one box and pay the remaining $40. If you would like more boxes to sell, please just send an email to Berenice at email@example.com or send a note in to the office.
Thank you to Leianna Perkins-Muse for running this major fundraiser and to Shanan O'Driscoll Hedges for your assistance!