Davis/Martin Weekly Update
January 10 - January 15
Second quarter report cards and other important information were sent home on Friday. Please sign and return any stamped papers at your earliest convenience. We will be following a regular schedule this week. Students will have a Chapter 7 Social Studies test on Friday, January 15th. Students who reached their second quarter AR (Accelerated Reader) points goal will be allowed to bring an electronic and eat lunch in the classroom this Tuesday, January 11th. Please remember that there will be no school next Monday, January 18th due to it being Martin Luther King Jr. Day.
Mrs. Davis & Mrs. Martin
IN READING & SOCIAL STUDIES:
- Reading: We will focus on nonfiction: strategies, text features, and text structures (description, sequence, cause/effect, compare/contrast, and problem/solution).
- Week 16 Vocabulary: tragedy, pulsate, undaunted, aptitude
- Social Studies: Chapter 7: The Southern Colonies - We will finish reading lesson 3 and review for the test on Friday. Students received their study guides this past Friday. They are due Wednesday the 12th. Students will also need to know the names and locations of the 13 colonies on a map.
In MATH & SCIENCE:
- Science: We are studying Simple Machines. This week we will be working with screws/nails/hammers, pulleys, wedges, and potential & kinetic energy.
- Math: We are still working Multiplication and Division with Fractions. We are getting close to having a test, but we still need more work on dividing. Hopefully we will be ready by the end of the week. I will send a "Remind" to let you know the test date.
- We will continue to work on our individualized math program on Khan Academy and Front Row Math. Students are allowed to work on it at home.
- Weekly Reading Log: 20 minutes of reading, 5 nights per week, DUE MONDAYS (this is averaged into your child's reading grade)
- Weekly Vocabulary Page: This will go home every Tuesday, and needs to be completed and returned every Wednesday
- S.S. Chapter 7 Study Guide: due Wednesday the 12th
- Study for S.S. Chapter 7 Test on Friday the 15th
- Students will most always have math homework every night through the week, Fridays and weekends off.
- Have you downloaded the Nettleton app? If not, go to your app store and search for Nettleton Public Schools. You will be able to email staff, receive information regarding school closing and much more!
- If your child is going home a different way than usual, please call the school to let us know. Many parents will email or text teachers but often times teachers have their phones off. We want to make sure that your child makes it home safely!