Grade 4 News
Newsletter #1: How the World Works
UOI #3 How the World Works
An inquiry into the natural world and its laws; the interaction between the natural world (physical and biological) and human societies; how humans use their understanding of scientific principles; the impact of scientific and technological advances on society and on the environment.
Central idea: Discovery of electricity and magnetism inspires technological advancements
Key concepts: function, connection, perspective
Related concepts: circuits, conductors, insulators, magnetism, electromagnetism, technological advancements
Lines of inquiry:
- Circuits and their applications (function)
- Magnets and electromagnetism (connection)
- How to create technologically advanced solutions (perspective)
UOI Field Trip
What Are We Learning This Unit?
During this unit, we will multiply up to 4-digit numbers by single digits and apply this understanding to real-world application problems. We will also work on multiplication of two double-digit numbers. We will then move on to equivalent fractions. Please see the Parent Tips sheets below for more details about these topics and how they are taught.
English Language Arts
- I can refer to details and examples in a text when explaining what the text says explicitly and when drawing inferences from the text.
- I can determine the meaning of general academic and domain-specific words or phrases in a text relevant to a grade 4 topic or subject area.
- I can describe the overall structure (e.g., chronology, comparison, cause/effect, problem/solution) of events, ideas, concepts, or information in a text or part of a text.
- I can use context to confirm or self-correct word recognition and understanding, rereading as necessary.
- I can introduce a topic clearly and group related information in paragraphs and sections.
- I can develop the topic with facts, definitions, concrete details, quotations, or other information and examples related to the topic.
- I can link ideas within categories of information using words and phrases (e.g., another, for example, also, because).
- I can use precise language and domain-specific vocabulary to inform about or explain the topic.
- I can provide a concluding statement or section related to the information or explanation presented.
- I can use description to develop experiences and events.
- I can make observations to provide evidence that energy can be transferred from place to place by sound, light, heat, and electric currents.
- I can apply scientific ideas to design, test, and refine a device that converts energy from one form to another.
- I can use scientific vocabulary to explain my observations and experiences.
- I can identify or generate a question or problem to be explored.
- I can plan and carry out systematic investigations, manipulating variables as necessary.
- I can make and test predictions.
- learn how to talk about the daily prayer (time of the prayer, number of the prayer, the place of the prayer, etc) (أنا أصلى في المسجد، أنا أصلى العشاء في المساء).
- Students will learn the past tense and how to make a sentence in this tense (أنا صليت الفجر ، أنا قرأت الكتاب).
- Count from 21st to 30th and write it.
- Affirmative and negative statements.
In this UOI we will focus more on reading and apply the Tajweed rules
during the recitation.
- Read the second Juzaa
- Memorization based on the group level:
- فريق النجوم: Memorize Surat Al-Qalam.
- فريق الكواكب: Memorize Surat An-Nazi'aat.
- فريق الليل: Read the words with Sukoon and Shaddah.
- Review the life of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) from the beginning of the revelation until the Muslim persecution.
- The battle of Badr.
- Wajibaat of the prayer.
- Continue practicing the prayer leading.
- Creating Cut-out designs.
- Stenciling Art.
- Creating geometric Islamic art collage.
Negative and positive space.
Targeted MSDE Standards
3.0 Creative Expression and Production: Students will demonstrate the ability to organize knowledge and ideas for expression in the production of art.
Create images and forms from observation, memory, and imagination and feelings
- processes, and techniques to express thoughts and feelings that have personal meaning Experiment with media
- Manipulate art media, materials, and tools safely
- Create artworks that explore the uses of the elements of art and selected principles of design, such as pattern, repetition, contrast, balance, and variety, to express personal meaning