Lighthouse School Newsletter
February 3, 2021
See translation information below / Consulte la información de traducción a continuación.
Mr. B's Corner
Good Afternoon Lighthouse Families,
It has been great fun to welcome many of our Lighthouse Elementary learners back into the building this past week. As you can all imagine, the energy in-person students bring into the building reinvigorates us. With this in mind, as shared by Dr. Ronneberg in his message last Wednesday, we are getting ready to welcome our secondary students back to school in a Modified Learning Model (Hybrid). We at Lighthouse School are unique in that, after this transition, our learning facilitators will have:
- Secondary Modified Campus Learners
- Secondary Extended Flexible Learners
- Elementary In-Person Learners
- Elementary Extended Flexible Learners
Given that Lighthouse facilitators did not utilize full planning days during previous learning model transitions and to prepare for this very unique, multi-faceted transition, ALL Lighthouse students will continue to work on their negotiated workplans from home on February 10 and 11.
- Feb. 10: ALL Lighthouse Students will continue to work on their negotiated work plans from home. Facilitators and staff will use these days to prepare for the transition.
- Feb. 11: ALL Lighthouse Students will continue to work on their negotiated work plans from home. Facilitators and staff will use these days to prepare for the transition.
- Night WebEx Conferences (4pm-7pm)
- Feb. 12: No school for all Lighthouse students
- Day WebEx Conferences (8am-3pm)
- Feb. 15: President’s Day holiday – No school for all students and staff
- Feb. 16: New Learning Model Begins
- Extended Flexible Learning students will continue to learn from home.
- In-person students will continue to learn from Lighthouse School
- “B” day students in the Modified Campus (hybrid) model return to the school building.
- “A” day students in the Modified Campus (hybrid) model will learn at home. Their first day back in the school building will be Thursday, Feb. 18.
- Extended Flexible Learning students will continue their learning online.
Please note, if your student is currently in the Extended Flexible Learning (distance learning) model by choice, they will remain in distance learning. We will accept any requests to shift to Modified Campus from Extended Flexible Learning beginning the week of February 22 for the trimester shift. To request a learning model shift for third term, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
We continue to appreciate our Lighthouse School community’s tremendous patience as we navigate an unparalleled time in education. My dad always shared, “back in my day I walked to school in 10 feet of snow, barefoot, uphill both ways.” Can you imagine the stories these students will tell future generations?
As always, thanks for entrusting your child(ren) to Lighthouse School for Gifted and Insatiable Learners,
Please remember to send your child to school each day with headphones. Headphones are needed for:
- Participating in WebEx sessions
- Rosetta Stone
- Listening to lessons on Redbird
- Watching inquiry videos
- Listening to music while working
Pick up and drop off (arrival/dismissal) reminder
- Families can drop their child off at 7:55 a.m. at the beginning of the school day. Please do not drop your child off earlier than 7:55 a.m. as there will be no supervision.
- Families will still be encouraged to call-in pick-up their child at the end of the school day. The pick-up number to call after 2:30 p.m. is 763-600-5245.
Attendance and Health Line Reminders
- Parents are asked to call the attendance line at their child's school, 763-600-5209, to report a student absence when a student is unable to attend school in person
- Parents are asked to call the health line at their child's school, 763-600-5209 and press 1, to report COVID-19 positive cases
Show your Panther Spirit for Challenge #2
Challenge #2 for the Panthers of a Purpose virtual giving event is happening now! Submit photos in your branded SLP Panther gear or school colors blue, red and white to PantherFoundation@district16.org between now and February 12. You'll earn a chance to be featured in the event video on February 27 and entered in a drawing to win a Panther Store $25 gift card!
Learn more about the Panthers for a Purpose virtual event, which helps keep the pantry stocked, children fed and ready to learn!
Lighthouse Winter Conferences
We will be hosting our Winter Conferences this year, as we did our Fall Conferences, through WebEx.
- To schedule a 20 minute conference time-slot, please email Ms. Dougherty, email@example.com. We will schedule time-slots on the hour, 20 minutes after the hour, and 40 minutes after the hour. Conference slots are first-come-first-serve and fill up quickly.
- Night time conferences (4 p.m.-7 p.m.) on 2/11/21
- Day time conferences (8 a.m.-3 p.m.) on 2/12/21
- Conference WebEx Links:
Please click on the link at, or slightly before, your scheduled conference timeslot. Don’t be alarmed as you may be placed in a “waiting room” until the previous conference has finished.
High School Fashion and Design Competition
For high school students interested in fashion and design, here is your chance to participate in a unique opportunity!
The Apparel, Merchandising, and Design department at St. Catherine University, located in St. Paul, MN, will be hosting a fashion competition open to young, aspiring fashion designers in their junior or senior year of high school.
Students are invited to submit an original t-shirt or mask design that engages a social justice message, uses sustainable materials, or incorporates the engineering of a piece that’s comfortable to wear.
All submissions are DUE February 8, 2021 and winners will be announced LIVE on February 16, 2021!
Submit your design in one of four categories: social justice, sustainability, wearability, or most innovative. Winners will be announced in a virtual session: February 16, 2021, 5:30–7 p.m.
Join through this Google Meet link.
In case you missed important information from last week's newsletter, check out the topics below and click to learn more.
Translate This Newsletter / Traducir Este Boletín
To translate this newsletter information to another language, please click anywhere on the newsletter to open it in a web browser and at the top of the page, select your language from the dropdown menu.
Para traducir este boletín de noticias a otro idioma, por favor presionen en cualquier lugar del boletín para abrirlo en un navegador web y en la parte superior de la página seleccione su idioma del menú.