The Mr. Ellis Newsletter
What's Going On in Mr. E's Class and Around Midway Middle
Week of February 1st to February 5th
EARLY RELEASE DAY ON TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 2ND. DISMISSAL WILL BE AT 12:30.
TEACHER WORKDAY ON MONDAY, FEBRUARY 15TH.
THE MAKEUP SNOW DAY WILL BE APRIL 29TH.
SCHEDULE FOR THIS WEEK:
WE WILL CONTINUE OUR UNIT ON CHEMISTRY
STUDENTS WILL HAVE HOMEWORK WEEK 21 AND IT WILL BE DUE ON FRIDAY.
WE WILL HAVE A POP QUIZ SOMETIME THIS WEEK!
WE WILL REVIEW OUR GEOMETRY WE HAVE BEEN DOING THE LAST 2 WEEKS. THERE WILL BE A GEOMETRY TEST ON FRIDAY!
Last Home Game vs RSMS on Monday. Away Basketball Games at Union Middle on Thursday. The girls' game will start at 4:00 with the boys game following immediately afterwards. Please come support our Raiders!
Candy Man Fundraiser
Please help us raise money for Midway Middle School. Students were given yellow forms last week to bring back signed to get a box of candy to sell. Each box has 52 candy bars. Students can sale multiple boxes for prizes!
Awards Ceremony for 1st Semester
We will have the 8th grade awards ceremony on Thursday, February 18th at 8:30 am. Students will be recognized for achievement during the 1st Semester!
Candy Man Fundraiser
Science Homework Week 21
8.P.1.2 Periodic Table Week 21 Homework
1.Which element is a member of the halogen family?
A helium B. oxygen C. sodium D. chlorine
2. A material can be identified by its behavior when chemically combined. Which property BEST supports this statement?
A density B. reactivity C. specific heat D. melting point
3. A chemist is looking for an element that reacts similarly to the element lithium. Which would be the BEST choice?
A gold b. neon C. fluorine D. sodium
4. Which BEST describes a row of elements in the periodic table?
A column B. family C. group D. period
5. Which BEST describes elements found in a column of the periodic table?
A the elements have the same size atom
B the elements have the same atomic number
C the elements have similar chemical properties
D the elements are all found naturally in the same physical state
6. Which BEST describes Groups 3 (IIIB) through 12(IIB) of the periodic table?
A alkaline earth metals C. metalloids
B transition metals D. nonmetals
7. Which BEST explains why the alkali metals are the most reactive group in the periodic table?
A they are radioactive
B they have complete outer energy levels
C they have the highest atomic masses of any elements
D they have only one electron in their outer energy level
8. Which element is MORE LIKELY to react with sodium?
A magnesium B. aluminum C. oxygen D. radon
9. Which element is in the same family as chlorine and fluorine?
A hydrogen B. lithium C. oxygen D. bromine
10. Where on the periodic table is a metal element MOST LIKELY found?
A middle B. bottom C. left side D. right side
11. What do the atomic numbers represent?
A number of atoms B. number of protons C. number of neutrons
12. Which property of matter can easily be determined by looking at the periodic table?
A density B. solubility C. melting point D. chemical reactivity
13. Which property would be MOST USEFUL in placing a newly discovered element in Group 18 (VIIIA) on the periodic table?
A reactivity B. malleability C. conductivity D. nonreactivity
14. Johnny is trying to identify a sample of a highly reactive nonmetal. With which elements would his sample MOST LIKELY be found on the periodic table?
A neon and radon
B fluorine and bromine
C silicon and phosphorus
D sodium and magnesium
15. Which is a property of metalloids?
A the ability to be pulled into long wires
B the ability to be hammered into sheets
C the ability to be a liquid at room temperature
D the ability to conduct electricity under certain conditions
16. Which best describes how the current periodic table is arranged?
A by atomic mass
B by atomic number
C in alphabetical order by element symbol
D in numerical order by number of neutrons in the nucleus
17. Sodium reacts with water. Which element is MOST LIKELY to have a similar effect to sodium if it is exposed to water?
A carbon B. oxygen C. lithium
18. Which BEST describes the reactivity of metals when moving from left to right on the periodic table?
A they become less reactive
B they become more reactive
C the reactivity remains the same
D the reactivity decreases, then increases
Would you like to get a text message from me telling you what your child has for homework each night?
For Science 1A (Mon, Wed), text @ellissc1mw to 81010
For Science 2A, (Tues, Thur) text @ellissc1tt to 81010
For Science 8A, (Mon, Wed) text @ellissc8mw to 81010
For Science 9A, (Tues, Thur) text @ellissc8tt to 81010
For Math, text @mathellis to 81010