Technology in the Classroom
Is there a downside to technology?
- limited access
- technical problems and bugs
- teacher resistance
- unskilled teachers
- doesn't always provide wanted 'face to face' communication
1. That the World Wide Web is a vast library that can be used to convey knowledge.
2. That searching and finding information on the Web equals learning.
3. That hyperlinking is good instruction. (Bates, 2003, p. 198)
The Internet TESL Journal: More Productive Use of Technology in the ESL/EFL Classroom -Michael Morgan morganmj(at)udmercy.edu University of Detroit Mercy (Detroit, Michigan, USA)
Benefits of technology in the ESL/EFL classroom
- students perceive technology as something useful in their studies
- it is motivating for learners
- promotes autonomous learning (potential to use as in a flipped classroom)
- can promote critical thinking skills
- can provide opportunities for collaborative learning
- real life learning
- can create cultural understanding
Do you know this terminology?
In case you missed the answers, here are the answers:
- digital literacy
- interactive whiteboard
- blended learning
- BYOD-bring your own device
- IALL-internet assisted language learning
- OER-open education resources
- TESOL—Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages
If you want to practice you can do so on Quizlet.
So how can we use technology more productively?
- If you are part of the process of acquiring new technology -be shrewd in your choice.
- Always investigate new media to see if it is suitable for classroom use. Too much focus on the Web obscures the deeper processes of learning ESL/EFL. Sometimes teachers should “let the bits go” (Hurst, 2007, p. 167).
- Be conscious of how the new media changes/influences TESOL teaching.
- Set your English teaching objectives before selecting any tools of technology.
For songs, tutorials, clips and so much more...
References used in the making of this presentation
More productive use of Technology in the ESL/EFL Classroom
Utopia or Chaos? The Impact of Technology on Language Teaching
The Internet for Teaching English: Guidelines for teachers
Clips and Video:
Implications of Technology on Education in the EFL classroom
What is Educational Technology?
David Thornburg on the evolving classroom.