Penguin Press News
October 14, 2019
A MESSAGE FROM PRINCIPAL BAME
Dear LPE Families,
Greetings to our amazing Penguin community!
A few weeks ago, WCPSS announced a plan for each school to undergo a security audit. Our audit occurred in late September and general results were provided for our school administration immediately. While almost all of the feedback was positive, a few areas of improvement are worth sharing with all LPE Stakeholders:
- Carpool lanes and parking lots should be accessed as intended. Student arrival and dismissal patterns are well identified, but all parties must follow the protocols outlined by the school. (Pedestrian crossing lanes should be used, handicapped parking should only be used by those with proper identification, students should not be dropped off in the parking lot).
- Student Safety Patrols should be clearly identified. LPE purchased new vests for carpool and bus Safety Patrol volunteers.
- Some of the in-school cameras need to be replaced with updated models. WCPSS will respond to this need.
- Visitors should stop by the main office and must be identified by a badge or sticker when out in the building. Please make sure you are wearing proper visitor identification for the duration of your time on campus.
Overall, our auditing team was very complimentary of our school structures and systems. We will continue to pass along information as we learn more from the District report provided later in the year.
Please Join us Literacy Night this Thursday evening (5:30-7:30 pm). Highlights will include:
(Students are invited to wear their pajamas!)
- Book spine decorating in front lobby. (This is just families creating a fun book title on a spine to be put on a bulletin board.)
- Green screen videos in the STEM lab.
- Bookmark making in the Art room
- Photo opportunity with a Dog Man cut-out
- Read-alouds throughout the building
- 4th grade poetry displayed in library and scrolling on TVs
Food Trucks at Literacy Night:
- Will and Pop's https://www.willandpops.com/menu
- Stavi's https://roaminghunger.com/stavis-sandwiches/
- Mr Softee https://www.mrsofteewake.com/
WIsh List Items:
Snacks for students who come to school without a snack for the day:
- Non-perishable (goldfish, pretzels, snack bars, crackers, etc)
Mark your calendars:
October 17th/ 5:30 - 7:30 pm - Literacy/ Book Fair Family Night
October 21st - Teacher Workday
October 25th - Report Cards Track 4
October 26th/ 2:00 - 4:00 pm - Trunk or Treat Event
October 31st - Halloween (pajama day)
November 11th - HOLIDAY
November 16th - Weather Make-up Saturday (1,3,4) (9:15 am - 12:45 pm)
November 27th - 29th - Thanksgiving Holiday (building closed)
December 7th - Weather Make-up Saturday (1,3,4) (9:15 am - 12:45 pm)
Thank you for supporting Laurel Park Elementary School!
Raleigh G. Bame
National School Lunch Week - We LOVE Our LPE Cafe Team!
Click Below for WCPSS Math Curriculum Resources
October is National Bullying Prevention Month
On Wednesday, October 23rd we will be celebrating Unity Day. Please wear orange (or red/yellow) to show that we unite around kindness, support and inclusion.
At Laurel Park, daily Positivity Project lessons taught by classroom teachers help reinforce kind and respectful actions in our students. In addition, Mrs. MacEntee and Ms. Waddell teach Guidance lessons on bully prevention to help students understand what bullying is and what to do if they or someone they know are harassed &/or bullied. Please see the following link for more information on bully prevention in WCPSS: https://www.wcpss.net/domain/46
For Parents of 5th Graders
We are starting to receive some information on the middle school registration process. Some of the leadership, magnet schools & early colleges (which may include middle school) have earlier registration deadlines than most of the other middle schools. Here is the information we have recently received:
Magnet, Early College and Year-Round Fair - Saturday, October 26, 9:00-12:00 at Panther Creek HS
Magnet and Year-Round APPLICATION PERIOD - October 26 - January 30 at magnet.wcpss.net/apply
Wake Young Women’s or Men’s Leadership Academies - application period is October 12th through December 16th. You may contact the individual schools to sign up for a tour.
READvolution is Back!
Lucky's Library Updates
Laurel Park Fall Book Fair
Our Fall Book Fair is coming October 14-25th!
Students will have a preview day and a purchase day during the 2 week fair. Track 4 students will be able to preview and purchase during the 2nd week.
In addition, we will be hosting a Family Literacy Night on October 17th from 5:30-7:30pm.
The Family Literacy Night will include food trucks, book readings by teachers, and other family reading resources. We hope to see you there!
If you are interested in volunteering for this event, please visit the Sign Up Genius to do so!
Trunk or Treat will be October 26th from 2-4 pm at Laurel Park! This event promotes a fun, safe environment for children and families to trick or treat. Kids can dress up in costume and trick or treat from trunk to trunk in the Laurel Park Elementary School parking lot. Parents, you provide the trunks and the treats for our trick or treaters by parking in the lot and handing out treats from your car trunk! This year we are encouraging alternatives to candy and food so that we can include all students and promote healthy living. Some “treat” ideas are pencils, erasers, stickers, tattoos, small toys, and glow sticks. We will also have games, activities, and voting for the best class pumpkin!
Laurel Park Spring Fun Run Volunteers Needed
We are THRILLED to be hosting our *very own* Laurel Park FUN RUN in March for our students!
We will be using Boosterthon to help organize secure donations but this will allow us to keep more of the gracious donations that we receive during this fundraiser!
With this exciting change, we are looking for a LOT our Penguin Community to volunteer any time to help us organize this event and make it the best year yet for our students and our school!
Please follow the link below to find a sign up for our current planning needs!