April 14, 2017
Dear Bulldog Families,
I hope that you enjoyed spring break and that your student has quickly gotten back into the swing of school. As I engaged in conversation with students and adults this week, many told me that one fun and relaxing activity they did over break was reading. I am always excited to hear about students and adults finding time to live a Reading Life…a life in which what we read:
• makes us smile, laugh…maybe frustrated and sometimes even sad
• allows us to travel places
• teaches us something
• helps us connect with a character similar to us in some way
• informs us about worldly happenings.
My family and I also enjoyed having some extra time to get lost in a good book of our choice, not something we had to read for work or school. I chose realistic fiction, my husband non-fiction, and our daughter read a series book. Although we read different genres, we engaged in discussions about our books. Independent reading and shared reading is important for children to take part in at home and school. I encourage you to set aside a time each day, even if it is just 15 minutes, to read with your student. The benefit of additional reading time is immense. But the most important thing is that when you encourage reading, you help children increase their reading engagement and understanding of the importance of reading.
As always, thank you for partnering with us in education.
** NEW Kindergarten Open House Date **
2017 Kindergarten Registration Information and Open House Announcement 4/18
Will your child be 5 years old on or before August 1st?
HSE now offers online registration for your 5 year old coming to kindergarten!
Register your child for Kindergarten here: Kindergarten Registration
Click HERE to learn more about Kindergarten enrollment.
Be sure to mark your calendars to attend the
Kindergarten Open House
Tuesday April 18th from 5-7p.m.
Learn more HERE!
Bulldog Blast Friday April 21st 6:00-8:30
This year's Bulldog Blast will include fun and food for all ages! Check out the activities and food options your family can enjoy at the Blast! Click HERE to learn more!
Save money on wristbands by pre-ordering! Print this form to pre-order your wristbands and return form and payment by Wednesday April 19th.
Attention 3rd & 4th grade Parents
ISTEP/CCRA (College &Career Ready Assessment) which is much like the ISTEP+ Multiple Choice testing done online will be the week of April 17th through April 28th.
Be on the look out for information from your child's teacher regarding the testing schedule.
Testing make-up days will be done as needed throughout the second week. As the time gets closer, teachers will send out detailed dates and information to parents.
The Indiana Department of Education has provided parents with some information concerning the testing at the link below: http://www.doe.in.gov/assessment/istep-grades-3-8
Attendance during these days is very important; please make every attempt to reschedule dentist/doctor appointments around the test dates.
Here are just a few tips for a good start to every morning and they also make for an even better testing situation:
• Get a good night’s sleep. This is important every night!!!
• A good morning at home makes for a good morning at school.
• Eat a good healthy breakfast.
• Wear comfortable clothes.
• Talk to your students about the test in advance not just the week of the test. Remind them to give their best effort today and everyday. This test is important, but too much stress can be a problem also.
• Encourage your student to listen to the teacher for directions.
• Encourage your student to think positively – they can do this!!!
• Smile ☺ and tell a funny joke – laughing is good for everyone.
Bulldog Calendar & Rotation Days
Monday 4/17 (Day 5) 4th grade group photo
Tuesday 4/18 (Day 6) Kindergarten Open House 5-7 p.m.
Wednesday 4/19 (Day 1)
Thursday 4/20 (Day 2)
Friday 4/21 (Day 3) Bulldog Blast 6:30-8:30
Sunday 4/23 - NBE 25th Anniversary Open House 2-4 p.m.
Monday 4/24 (Day 4) Risinger, Shelton, Franklin field trip 9:10-2:00
Tuesday 4/25 (Day 5) Myers, Hower, Hensley field trip 9:10-2:00
Wednesday 4/26 (Day 6)
Thursday 4/27 (Day )
Friday 4/28 (Day 2)
Good luck Caden and Danny!
Please join us in supporting our New Britton Elementary students Caden Thornton and Danny Jeschke and wish them the best of luck on April 22nd as they compete to represent HSE at Indiana DI State Finals.
If your child will be absent due to illness or medical/legal appointment, please call attendance line at (317) 594-4130. This phone line also has a 24 hour voice mail option. Please leave your name, your child's grade, teacher and the reason for the absence by 9:30 that morning. Please do not email the office with this information.
Congratulations to our "Catch of the Week" Students!
Kindergarten: Benton Williams, Addison Meekin, Maci Clark, Shaylee Blair, Broderick Huttinger, Grant Vorderlandewher, Dhruv Gupta, Ethan Brinkruff
1st Grade: Julia Day, Dasharath Mavila, Ava Eads, Samantha Cheney, Audrey Royer, Andre Ames, Kira Hoffman, Faheem Mohaideen
2nd Grade: Madison Krop, Cambrie Woolever, Teresa Schaffer, Toren Kemp, Kshetra Singarapu, Naveenaa Kumar Sanjeev, Lauren Lee, Gabe Rush
3rd Grade: Mehreen Khan, Max Gallamore, Brooke Boeldt, Seth Fitzpatrick, Ivan Case, Laila Glinke, Henry Weiss, Hasini Karishna, Kassidy Ferris, Allyssa Dukes,
4th Grade: Jenna Myers, Ryan Solesky, Sloan Ferguson, Mauro Mansur-Alonso, Andrew Martinez, Pete Chambers, Owen Folta, Jonathan Albright, Jesse Martinez, Alex Rocha
2017-2018 PTO - NBE needs YOU!
With Spring Break coming up next week, we are quickly nearing the end of the school year. As we do this, we must start looking to next year. We have had a great year with the PTO, but we desperately need more involvement next year. We are currently searching for:
* Vice President
* Walkathon (Glow Walk) Chairperson
* After-School Enrichment Chairperson
* Science Fair Chairperson
* 4th Grade Picnic Chairperson
* Bulldog Blast Co-Chairperson (we need several here)
* Mum Sale Chairperson
* Grant Proposal Chairperson
Most of these could use a couple of people chairing them. The more people we have to help, the smoother the year will go and the better the PTO will be!
If you are interested in any of these positions, please email Leslie at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Summer Sports Camps
Fishers High School
HSE High School
Check out the HSE Community Bulletin Board (CBB)!
Hamilton Southeastern Schools has now consolidated all the great activities offered in Fishers into one easy to access location - the CBB! Check out the CBB for library programs, S.P.O.R.T.S. news and other programs you would normally see in our Bulldog Bulletin. Use this link to check it out now!
*If you would like to have your event advertised to this link, please complete the submission form on the CBB.
*Permitted use of school newsletters as required by the Equal Access Act is not an endorsement of this group or this group’s beliefs by Hamilton Southeastern Schools or the Board of School Trustees.
Knights Cheerleader Call-Outs
We welcome all current 4th and 5th grade students to try out for the Knights Travel Cheer Team for the upcoming 2017 season. Tryouts will be held on Saturday, May 13th at 12 pm @ Fishers High School Aux Gym. A mandatory clinic is scheduled for Friday, May 12th from 6 – 8 pm.
Parents must attend an informational meeting Friday during the clinic.
2017 Knights Travel Football Cheerleading
* No Pre-registration necessary. You will complete a registration for S.P.O.R.T.S cheer at the parent meeting. Payment must be made before tryouts (no checks will be cashed prior to results)
* Attendance at Clinic is Mandatory to be eligible to make the team
* Grades Eligible 5th-6th for upcoming 2017-2018 school year
* Practice twice a week starting June until the start of school
* Games are every Saturday from August- October (including Labor Day Weekend and Fall Break)
* Team Cost Estimated $300.00 (including registration fees)
* Uniform/Practice Wear/Warm Ups/Back-Pack & Coaching (Discounted used uniform pieces will be available on a first come basis)
* Cheerleaders are judged on Side Line Cheer, Jumps, Motions, Appearance and Enthusiasm!
* Tumbling ability is only worth extra credit points/ It is not a requirement to make team
* Knights Cheer encourages strong academics. Bring a copy of your report card for extra credit
Please reach out to the coaches with any questions:
Giannine Cohoon: Giannine.Cohoon@roberthalf.com (312) 545-5342
Tricia Akers: Triciaakers@yahoo.com (317) 679-8303
Fishers Parks Department Camps
It is difficult to believe that summer is just around the corner! The City of Fishers Parks and Recreation Department launched its summer camp registration on Wednesday: http://www.fishers.in.us/CivicSend/ViewMessage/message?id=15994