Information for the 2023-24 School Year!
A Note From Principal Baylor
Greetings YWLA Families,
I am Apryl Baylor, the new principal at the Young Women’s Leadership Academy. I am excited and honored to serve our young ladies, their families, and the community! I have been a Texas educator for over 25 years, all of which have been in the Grand Prairie Independent School District.
I am a product of Grand Prairie schools. I was born and raised in the city in which I currently work, live, and play. Some may say I need to widen my horizons but I say, I love living life GRAND in Grand Prairie, TX.
We have an amazing staff of teachers, counselors, front office staff, nurses, and administrators who are ready to get back into a new school year and welcome our students! We are looking forward to a great year at YWLA and in GPISD!
We're very excited to welcome our students back and to work alongside you to create a successful year. Below you will find pertinent information that will be helpful as we start the new year. If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to the campus at 972-343-7400. We are happy to help.
Have a great day, and I can't wait to meet all my students on Monday, August 14th, 2023.
~Apryl Baylor, Principal
Safety and Security Protocols
The safety of students and staff is at the forefront of all our minds, and at YWLA, we will continue to ensure we follow all safety protocols to maintain a safe environment.
Security and planning are critical to keeping students and faculty safe in educational facilities. Safety is a #1 priority for all schools. Security vestibules provide additional protection by adding a secured space.
This school year, we have completed construction on a new secure vestibule. All parents and visitors will come to our new secure area to complete any business you may have here at YWLA. Instead of coming to the series of glass doors under the awning, you will now be required to come to our new secure area which is located to the left as you come down the drive. Again, all parents and visitors must come to the secure area before accessing the building.
In our secure vestibule, you will be greeted by Ms. Sena, our Attendance Clerk. She will conduct all necessary procedures for check-out, drop-off, and/or pick-up. With safety being at the top of our priority list, you must have a driver's license/photo I.D. when coming to the school.
As you come down the drive, you’ll see signage with arrows pointing you to the correct door for entry. The secure area will help us add another layer of safety for our students.
Keeping students and staff safe is a priority. Here are some precautions we take at YWLA and in GPISD:
• All visitors must present ID and must be granted access by YWLA staff prior to entering the building. If you need to visit with staff, please make an appointment.
• Visitors are only allowed to enter through the new secure area, to the left of the old entry.
• All staff and students must wear ID each day.
• Classroom doors are to remain locked and closed.
• Exterior doors are to remain locked and closed. During arrival and dismissal, doors are monitored by staff.
• Monthly drills are done to ensure reaction is second nature in the event of an emergency.
Safety Video: New Secure Entrance
DROP OFF & PICK UP
Parent Drop Off/Pick Up
- Doors open at 8:00 each morning.
- Parent drop off is in the back of the building, near the cafeteria.
- Once at the back of the building, the outside lanes are for drop off/pick up, and the middle lane is for through traffic.
- Teacher parking lot is not for drop off/pick up.
- Be aware of pedestrians and of staff members who are directing traffic.
Dress Code for 2023-2024
Our dress code hasn't changed since last school year, but here
are some reminders:
- No hoodies
- Black pants or our official red/black plaid skirt are acceptable; skirt can be purchased at Levine's (see information below)
- No jeans, tights, leggings, or shorts
- Shoes can be red/black/white or a combination of those colors
See below for additional information.
YWLA BELL SCHEDULE
Bell Schedule 2023-2024
See Bell Schedule below.