Quadratic Vocabulary for Algebra II
By: Julia Ledbetter 3rd period
Axis of Symmetry
f(x)=a^2 + bx + c, where a<0
f(x)=ax^2 + bx + c, where a>0
This form is to help you find the y intercept.
This form is to help you find the vertex.
Example: Writing Functions in Vertex Form
Example: Graph Equations in Vertex Form
This form is to help you find the roots.
Completing the Square
Follow the Steps below to Complete the Square:
1. Put () around ax^2 + bx
2. Factor the a value from x^2 and x
3. Take 1/2 the middle term and square it
4. Add the number and it's opposite
5. Factor perfect square trinomial
6. Rewrite in the form y= a(x-h)^2 + k (which is vertex form)