Major Writing Assignment Two
Evaluating the Research for a Topic
Major Writing Assignment Two Overview
In the second unit of the semester, we will use research skills to create a scholastic digital reading collection that could be used as support for a problem/solution type research essay regarding the Skills Gap problem as well as informing an audience who may not be familiar with the problem.
After researching a variety of sources on the Skills Gap problem, each student will start to collect valid and appropriate sources on the issue in order to compose a problem-solution essay for the next unit (MWA 3).
- Assemble the sources in a Storify format
- Summarize each source in Storify,
- Write a Research Introduction to the Skills Gap issue in a Word document. It will look at the problem in general, promote its significance, and preview a little of the research sources collected.
- Create a Works Cited page for the sources collected for this assignment.
Major Writing Assignment 2 goes beyond traditional research but is similar to the way research has been done for years.
What sources can I use?
Your MWA 2 Storify magazine will include at least six sources on the Skills Gap. All sources must be from MTC databases (except for the interview). Sources not from a database will be penalized. To make sure you are fully exploring this issue, you must include:
- Two scholarly journal articles
- One newspaper article
- One non-.com source
- Traditional .com source from a trade/professional organization
- A video
- Personal Interview with qualified representative (Extra points)
What do I add to Storify once I have my sources?
Once you add each of your sources to your Storify, add one length appropriate paragraph of summary for each source, so that your readers can quickly determine whether they want to read the source or not.
What do I include in the summary?
The summary should include:
- The article’s position on the topic it is covering,
- The main points
- Relevant supporting details
- See JTC 470-471 for more information