Roberts Library Information
From Your Book Diva
Several people have asked me questions about the way AR will run this year. I decided to make this informational page for you to give you the rundown on all things library. Please let me know if you still have a question after reading this information. I am always open for suggestions, too!
- All folders should have been passed out and sent home this week for parent signatures.
- If you have a student that was overlooked for a folder, please send them our way.
- Once the folder has been signed, it should not go home anymore this year.
- Please send students with the folder anytime they need to checkout.
- Please remember to check the open checkout time before sending students down.
- Please also begin sending chromebooks with students this week. We may/may not use them each week, but I would rather have them than not, just in case.
- Please do not send students with chromebooks or library folders/books on Fridays. It is too difficult for PE to keep up with these items since they are outside.
Basic Li-Berry Info
- I normally begin Kinder checkout around December. If Kinder teachers would like to start earlier, just let me know. I am open to whatever you prefer!
- 1st grade: students will checkout one book.
- 2nd grade: students will checkout two books. The first few weeks we still with beginning reader and everybody books. We will tackle non-fiction and fiction later this fall.
- 3rd-4th grade: students will checkout two books. They are welcome to explore the entire library from the beginning.
Roberts Library Resources
- Please use the Roberts Library site to access any and all library and digital resources.
- Please remember to have students bookmark and use the Roberts Symbaloo to access ALL of our Roberts resources from one place!
- I have created a Facebook group called, Roberts Teachers Rock. Please use this group as a place for posting great ideas and for seeing the great finds I have found for you on Twitter! It is just beginning, but it will be a great resource to you as it grows!
Accelerated Reader Program
- AR is open for business.
- Please see the Teacher Helper document I have created for you.
- After iStation testing is complete, I will sit down with your grade level to show you how to set goals.
- Once goals are set, please record them in the AR program AND the library folder (I will show you where).
- We will run two incentive programs:
- Reading Team: This will work the same as Bridget set up. Each grade will have a point goal to reach. If students have met the goal and have at least 80% accuracy, they make the team and receive a t-shirt. The only difference is there will not be a big party at the end of the year (see #2).
- AR 9 Weeks Incentive: In exchange for the one huge party at the end of the year, I will host four "medium" size parties at the end of each nine weeks. I have found this does best keeping students motivated throughout the year.
- To make the 9 week incentive party students must do the following:
- Have at least 80% accuracy by the date listed in library folder.
- Have met their personal goal that you set at the beginning of the nine weeks.
- Have read and passed the test on the genres required for that 9 weeks (see folder)
- Maintained honesty while using AR. I do NOT allow students who have been caught cheating on AR to attend ANY of the 9 weeks parties. I have explained this to every class (see Honor Code in library folder).