MLK News: August 15-19, 2022
From Executive Principal, Dr. Angela McShepard-Ray
Breakfast and Lunch will be Provided to Students This Year at No Cost
This does not mean you should not apply for free and reduced lunch if your child will qualify according to your income. If your child will qualify for free and reduced lunch benefits, I want to provide the link for you to submit your Free and Reduced Lunch Application online on this website if needed for the 2022-2023 school year.
**Please know completing this application not only impacts you and fees that impact your child during the 2022-2023 school year, it also impacts MNPS. If you qualify for free and reduced lunch and are approved, MNPS will have reduced fees when it pertains to your child. For example, if your child is enrolled in Advanced Placement classes and is approved for free and reduced lunch, MNPS will pay a reduced rate for the Advanced Placement test(s).
Student Parent Handbook Permissions are Online - Deadline is August 26
The online version of the Student-Parent Handbook has been updated for the 2022-23 school year. This year, parent permissions must be submitted by Friday, Aug. 26 either using the online permissions portal (which will be available in the coming days) or the printed permission forms. Permission forms can be downloaded in multiple languages from the Handbook webpage.
Debate Team Interest Meeting - August 15
SGA elections are coming!
Virtual Parent Empowerment Series - Aug. 23
On Aug. 23 at 6p.m. Counselors will discuss the new MLK planners, why we are using and them and how you can help your child be successful using this new tool. The link to join is below. We hope you can join us!
High School Cheerleading Tryouts: August 22-25
- MLK Varsity & Junior Varsity Cheerleading tryouts will be held Aug. 22nd -Aug. 25th for the 2022-2023 Season for upcoming 9th-12th graders.
- A mandatory two-day cheer clinic will be held from 3:15 p.m.-5:00 p.m. on Aug. 23rd-24th.
- Tryouts will be held on Thursday, Aug. 25th from 3:15 p.m.-6:00 p.m.
- If you're interested, please sign-up by Aug. 19th using this link: https://forms.office.com/r/HSNFhmEKZ1
- The tryout packet will be emailed directly to participants after signing up.
- All participants must submit the required athletic forms, tryout packet forms and teacher recommendations before trying out.
- If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me at email@example.com.
Vote for MLK in the Nashville Scene's "Best of Nashville"!
Please vote for MLK as the best middle school (public or private) AND the best high school (public or private). Make sure you are under the category of "Kids and Pets" to find the two places to vote. Let's let the community know about our amazing school! Voting ends on September 6. Thank you!You can vote here: Best Daycare | Kids & Pets | Ballot | nashvillescene.com
MLK 2022-2023 Yearbook
MLK Student Featured on MNPS website
Congratulations to 11th grader, Mikayla Prude for being featured on the MNPS website and for representing MLK is a positive way. She along with Kennedy Lovett (11th grader) and Nevaeh Hyde(12th grader/NSA) represented MLK Cheer at the MNPS PD event at Hillwood HS on Aug. 4th.
Seniors Prepare for the First Day of School by Decorating Their Crowns
MLK SSMV Seniors Present Research Posters Over the Summer
Over the summer our MLK students who are a part of the School for Science and Math at Vanderbilt (SSMV) presented their group research posters to their peers in the program. Congratulations on a job well done!
Eighth Grade Students Visit Pearl High Archives
News from the MLK College Center
NEW! College Center Extended Hours The College Center will offer extended hours each Wednesday during the first quarter of the school year. Seniors who would like support for completing applications, writing essays, or anything "college related" are invited to join Mrs. Hensley each Wednesday any time between 3:00 and 5:00 pm - no appointment needed!
This Week's Activities
- Aug. 19 – Lunch & Learn for College-Bound Senior Athletes (Both lunches; pizza lunch provided)
- If your Senior is thinking about pursuing athletics at the college level, there's much to learn and do. Invitations to the event will be distributed by Wednesday, August 17 - encourage your athlete to join us!
- Aug. 20 – Saturday Application Station (9:00 am – 12 noon) Seniors who would like application assistance or just a quiet time and place to work on their college journey are invited to stay the entire time or "come and go" as they wish. Pre-registration is required - watch for an email from Mrs. Hensley.
Save The Date
- Aug. 25 - Visit from University of Tennessee President, Randy Boyd (during the school day; interested students will register in advance)
Welcome to week 1 of the 2022-2023 ACT Corner!
This week’s practice passage comes from the Reading section of the ACT. Reading_Passage_6_Aug_10_2022.pdf
Correct answers will be provided next week. Welcome back!
Back to School Bookbag Giveaway - August 12
This event is at True Way Church at 2715 Clarksville Highway, Nashville, TN 37208
U.S. Service Academy Day for High School Students
U.S. Service Academy Day will occur on Saturday, September 17 at Nashville Public Library.
Nomination applications can be found here: Military Academy Nominations | Congressman Jim Cooper (house.gov)
MLK Spirit Store Information
MLK Spirit Store
Our MLK Spirit Store will OPEN Monday, August 15.
The details for shopping MLK apparel online, payment options, and
picking up your order are below. Click on the link below to order.
• New apparel will be added to the website on a regular basis. We will also
be restocking popular items; however, not all items will be restocked so
please do not delay in purchasing your items. If you do not see your size or
the color you want, please continue to check the website for updates.
• You will NOT have the opportunity to try on apparel prior to purchasing.
• NO RETURNS will be allowed on any purchased items. Most of our spirit
wear is printed on Gildan apparel (100% cotton) and fits true to size. Please
pay careful attention to the size that you choose prior to placing your
Online Payment Options:
• All major credit cards (Visa, Mastercard, AMEX) are accepted. You will also
be charged a nominal credit card processing fee (based on your subtotal)
for all online purchases.
Picking Up Your Order:
• Parents/students will be able to pick up online orders in the front office.
MLK parent volunteers will be processing orders for pick up on Wednesdays
and Fridays of every week. You will be required to sign for your paid online
order upon pick up. There are no alternative payment options at pick up.
Need Help with Homework?
Teachers are available to answer questions Mondays through Thursdays from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. This is a free service to students in TN.
988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline
988 has been designated as the new three-digit dialing code that will route callers to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (now known as the 988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline), and is now active across the United States.
When you call, text, or chat 988, you will be connected to trained counselors that are part of the existing Lifeline network. These trained counselors will listen, understand how their problems are affecting you, provide support, and connect you to resources if necessary.
The previous Lifeline phone number (1-800-273-8255) will always remain available to people in emotional distress or suicidal crisis.
The Lifeline’s network of over 200 crisis centers has been in operation since 2005, and has been proven to be effective. It’s the counselors at these local crisis centers who answer the contacts the Lifeline receives every day. Numerous studies have shown that callers feel less suicidal, less depressed, less overwhelmed and more hopeful after speaking with a Lifeline counselor.
Answer the call! These centers are looking to bring on new volunteers and paid employees. You will receive training, so if you are a caring person who wants to help those in crisis, apply today. Find your opportunity: samhsa.gov/988-jobs
- For ways to support your local Lifeline network crisis center, visit our Crisis Centers page here.
- To learn about the impact of the Lifeline, visit our new By the Numbers page.
- To learn about what happens when you call, text, or chat with the Lifeline, click here.
- To learn more about the history of 988, visit here.
- To learn how Vibrant Emotional Health, the nonprofit administrator of the Lifeline, has been supporting states’ implementation planning for 988 through grants, check here.
If you’re a Veteran, Service Member or loved one and want to know more about how 988 will affect the Veterans Crisis Line, click here.