Fork Shoals Library Ledger
News for the week of November 12th
Be thankful for books, reading, and libraries!
To add to your Thanksgiving festivities, check out some of these fabulous books in the Fork Shoals Library:
- Thanksgiving on Thursday (Magic Tree House) by Mary Pope Osborne
- The First Thanksgiving by Linda Hayward
- One Is a Feast for Mouse by Judy Cox
- Thank You, Sarah: The Woman Who Saved Thanksgiving by Laurie Halse Anderson
- Squanto and the First Thanksgiving by Teresa Noel Celsi
- P Is for Pilgrim by Carol Crane
- Gracias, the Thanksgiving Turkey by Joy Cowley
- A Turkey for Thanksgiving by Eve Bunting
- Giving Thanks by Kate Waters
- The Thanksgiving Day from the Black Lagoon by Mike Thaler
- Balloons Over Broadway by Melissa Sweet
- I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Pie by Alison Jackson
- Junie B., First Grader: Turkeys We Have Loved and Eaten (and Other Thankful Stuff) by Barbara Park
- Pilgrims in America by Melinda Lilly
Vote for Fork Shoals!
Our school is applying for a $45,000 grant to turn our old school building into a wellness center for our students, staff, and community. Our 5th grade Beta Club made a 3-minute video and submitted it for our school. Public vote helps determine the winner of the grant. Please vote every day from November 1st to 14th using every email address you have. Tell all of your family and friends to do the same. Only one vote per email address is allowed each day!
To vote for Fork Shoals, visit this website: http://promoshq.wildfireapp.com/website/6/contests/234303/voteable_entries/60654013. Thanks for your support!
Book of the Week: The Fantastic Secret of Owen Jester by Barbara O'Connor
Owen Jester and his family recently moved in with his grandfather after his dad lost a job. Owen isn’t thrilled with the move–especially his grandpa’s snappish housekeeper, Earlene, and his nosy, know-it-all, next-door neighbor, Viola–but Owen will make the most of things with the help of his two friends, Travis and Stumpy, his dogs, and his awesome bullfrog, Tooley Graham.
One night, when the nearby train goes by, Owen hears a sound that is a bit out of place–thump, thump, thump. Wood crashes, and Owen wonders what could have possibly fallen off of the train. Well, as most curious boys would, Owen goes looking in the woods for something that could help solve the mystery. After much searching, Owen finds what he’s looking for, and this could be the most fantastic secret in the history of the world! (No, I’m not going to tell you what it is. You’ll have to read the book to find out!)
As Owen figures out what he should do with this awesome secret, he’s must also deal with his beloved bullfrog, Tooley. Tooley isn’t happy being away from the pond where Owen caught him. Owen tries his best to find a way to keep Tooley happy and with him, but nothing seems to work. Will Owen lose the best, most wonderful bullfrog that Carter, Georgia, has ever seen? Will he do the right thing and return Tooley to his home? If he does, could there be a way to see his favorite frog again? Let the adventure begin when you dive into The Fantastic Secret of Owen Jester by Barbara O’Connor!
It's American Education Week!
Greenville County Schools are celebrating American Education Week this week with the theme, Great Public Schools: A Basic Right and Our Responsibility. Different groups of faculty/staff will be recognized each day. Please join us in celebrating the wonderful people who work at Fork Shoals and the School District of Greenville County!
- Monday – School Support Staff (Food service, custodians, aides, secretaries, clerks, bookkeepers, paraprofessionals, school resource officers, etc.)
- Tuesday – Bus Transportation Staff
- Wednesday – Educators (All certified staff in schools – teachers, media specialists, guidance counselors, assistant principals, principals, etc.)
- Thursday – Operations/Maintenance Staff (Maintenance department, warehouse, operations)
- Friday – District Staff (All district-level employees)
Dates to remember:
- November 12-16 - American Education Week
- November 12 - Hero Day (Veterans' Day Celebration)
- November 12 - SIC meeting @ 7:30am
- November 13-14 - 2nd grade testing
- November 13 - Chick-Fil-A Night Out
- November 15 - Club and class pictures
- November 20 - Career Day
- November 21-23 - Thanksgiving Break
Please remember that we will only be pre-ordering yearbooks this year. If you would like a yearbook, remember to order by December 16th. We will not have extras in the spring, so order yours while pre-orders are being taken!