Think College Now
Teacher Times & Week at a Glance Week of 1.4.16
- Thank you Jennifer and Jennie for pioneering some exciting technology work in January!
- Thank you ILT for putting such a fun spin on team barometer!
- Thank you Jennie for being so organized - it makes splitting your class a breeze!
- Thank you Claudia for doing two jobs this week! You have held down the office when it was short staffed and kept everything running.
- Thank you teachers and staff for your incredible work this trimester. You give everything you've got on the daily, so we're hoping that you take the next two weeks to relax, recharge, unplug (take a break from your work email!) and get some much deserved rest. We feel so grateful to have such a phenomenal team! - Allison & Maddie
- Thank you Arcelia, Allison, and Jacqui for envisioning a Unity Night where students, families, and teachers could come together to share our cultures and break bread.
- Thank you Arcelia for inviting the amazing Ballet Folklorico performers!
- Thank you Carmen and Rita for supporting setup and clean up!
- Thank you teachers for preparing your students to perform at Unity Night and for facilitating art projects with them during such a busy time of the year!
- Thank you to ALL teachers for being flexible with schedule overlaps, last minute changes, and adjusted lessons! Of course, plans look perfect on paper but once the class is involved, things can change quickly. It makes my job easier knowing there is open support :) - Mariya
- Take OUSD Equity Survey
- We are Central Region
- Think through plan for Oratorical participation for your students with your grade level partner.
- Share your Winter HW with Maddie
- Books for Classrooms! Every classroom is receiving 100-150 books. Make sure you reference this email from Maddie to make sure the books are ready for students by winter break.
- Thank you for making sure Maddie & Allison are shared on all assessment data!
Over the next two weeks we'll be conducting goals conferences. Please come prepared with any artifacts that support data analysis (f&p's, words their way spelling inventory, and conferring notes)
- Reimbursement Forms - Click here for a link to the OUSD Reimbursement Form. If you are not already set up as an external vendor, you will need to fill out this form as well.
- Need to meet with Allison? Set an appointment here or check her calendar here
- Need supplies, SST, buildings & grounds, COST referral etc.? Find the form you are looking for at http://tinyurl.com/tcnfeedback
- Want to share pictures, appreciations or upcoming events. Please email Jennifer with TT in the subject line by end of day Monday to be included in the next issue of the Teacher Times. Teacher Times will be sent out Fridays at 8am.
Mexico is represented with traditional clothing and furniture.
Booths representing El Salvador, Yemen, Japan and the Black Lives Matter Movement
Students and families help represent their cultures
Hour of Code!
Students across the school got a taste of coding with help from Elsa and Anakin Skywalker
Students watch with excitement as Oakland Ballet teachers them about their daily training
First graders try on a bee keeper's outfit during a field trip to the Oakland Museum
Hour of Code!
Welcome Phillip Handy - New ASP Site Coordinator
Weeks of 12.21.15 and 12.28.15
Week of 1.4.16
Monday, January 4th
- Damion Off Site
Tuesday, January 5th
- Student Council [3:00pm - 4:00pm]
Wednesday, January 6th
- TCN PD [2:15pm - 3:30pm, B203]
Thursday, January 7th
- Daniel's birthday!
- Allison Off Site
- ILT [3:15pm - 4:30pm]
Friday, January 8th
- Panther Paw Assembly - 4th grade
- TCN New Year Celebration Party [5-7pm]
Week of 1.11.16
Monday, January 11th
- Staff Meeting [3:15pm - 4:30pm]
Tuesday, January 12th
- Maddie Off Site [AP PD]
- SSC [3:15pm - 4:30pm]
Wednesday, January 13th
- TCN PD [2:15pm - 3:30pm]
- TCN Technology Forum [3:30pm - 4:30pm]
Thursday, January 14th
- "Wired Parent" Technology Series [8:30am - 9:30am, computer lab]
- ILT [3:15pm - 4:30pm]
Friday, January 15th
- Panther Paw Assembly - 3rd grade
- Winter Bingo at Oakland Public Library - Winter Bingo gives children and families a chance to read and play during Winter Break! Beginning December 12, the library will distribute cards for its “Winter Bingo” game, encouraging children in grades K-5, and parents of younger children and babies, to do activities that stimulate literacy and learning during the winter break. Any child or parent may return a bingo card with five activities marked in a row to any Oakland Public Library between December 19, 2015, and January 16, 2016, to select a free paperback book to keep, as a prize.
- TCN Tech Forum - Check your emails and watch the video above for more info! Mark your calendars for January 13th, 3:30-4:30pm.
- Spelling Bee - Dates TBD [Jan/Feb] but more info can be found here
- Oratorical Celebration - January 28th/29th more info can be found here
- African American Read In - More info to come! Mark your calendars for February 1st - 5th.
- Family Math Night - Get ready! Math Night is coming...Thursday, February 25 from 5:30-6:30. The goal of this evening is to make it an engaging event where families feel excited about doing math at home and supporting their students. After the new year, we will share more information about the format and schedule of the event. In the meantime, here are some links to a few sites and ideas to get your creative juices flowing: Family Math Night and Fun Math Games
- Oakland Running Festival - March 20, 2016. Believe it or not, March will be here before we know it. Last year, a group of teachers/staff/families from TCN participated in the 5k at the Oakland Running Festival. We'd love to get a group going again this year, so mark your calendars!
- Fund For Teachers
Deadline: Thursday, January 28, 2016 at 5pm CST
- TCN Chromebook Use - Please read this document for TCN Chromebook Procedures and Norms.
- Wireless Printing: Click here for directions to set up printing from your Chromebook to the new wireless printer in the teacher workroom.
- The Marshall Memo - A Weekly Round-up of Important Ideas and Research in K-12 Education. Check out the current issue. including 'What Makes and Good Teacher' & 'Orchestrating Discussions [in math]'
Ready to share your opinions? Earn $0.50 for Think College Now K-5, and more chances to win a $100 Amazon.com Gift Card.