Sport - Week 2 Term 2
Tauranga Primary School
Tauranga Primary School appreciates the support of the Lion Foundation, who provide funding for our Sport Co-ordinator role.
Jo's Sport Talk
There will be over 70 TPS students representing our kura at various sporting arenas this weekend, as the 2022 winter sports season kicks off! We have teams competing in the local basketball, hockey and netball leagues. All of these teams are now complete and every player should have received their team list for the season.
Remember that TPS athletes always try their best, and are humble in victory and gracious in defeat!
The TPS Cross Country is happening next week; our first whole school sports event for 2022. After encouraging our runners daily, as they train around the school grounds, it will be exciting to watch them compete and reap the rewards of their efforts. We invite everyone to come and share the event with us.
Event details are:
When: Tuesday 17th May
Where: Memorial Park (the Fraser Street end)
Times: 9:30am - 12:00pm
Must bring: sports shoes, a raincoat, morning tea and lunch, and water (no sports drinks)
Wear: Your House T-shirt or House colours
Approximate race times:
- 9:35 am - Year 6 girls followed by Year 6 boys
- 9:50 am - Year 5 girls followed by Year 5 boys
- 10:10 am - Year 3 girls followed by Year 3 boys
- 10:30 am - Year 4 girls followed by Year 4 boys
- 11:00 am - Year 0/1 girls followed by Year 0/ 1 boys
- 11:20 am - Year 2 girls followed by Year 2 boys
Term 2 Winter Sports Starting Dates
TPS Slam Dunks and TPS Swish (Yr 5 & 6) - Friday 13th May
TPS Ballers (Yr 3 & 4) - Tuesday 17th May
TPS Hot Shots (Yr 1 & 2) - Monday 16th May
TPS Huia (Yr 5 & 6) and TPS Kea (Yr 3 & 4) - Saturday 14th May
TPS Piwakawaka (Yr 5 & 6) - Saturday 11th June
TPS Tui (Yr 3 & 4) and TPS Kiwi (Yr 1 & 2) - Saturday 18th June
TPS and Inter-School sports events in Term 2:
- WBOP Inter-School Amazing Race (Year 5 & 6) - Friday 13th May 9:00am - 12:00pm @ Mt Maunganui
- TPS Cross Country (whole school) - Tuesday 17th May 9:00am - 1:00pm @ Memorial Park
- South and West Cluster RIP Rugby World Cup (Year 3 - 6) - Friday 27th May 9:00am - 2:00pm @ Greerton Rugby Park
- South Cluster Cross Country (Year 4 - 6 qualifiers only) - Tuesday 31st May 11:30am - 2:00pm @ Waipuna Park, Welcome Bay
- Primary Gymnastics Competition 3 & 4s - Friday 10th June 8:30am - 2:30pm @ ARGOS Gym, Tauranga
- BOP RIP Rugby World Cup (Year 3 - 6 qualifiers only) - Wednesday 15th June 9:00am - 2:30pm @ Paengaroa Rugby Grounds
- TGA City Basketball World Cup Year 3 & 4s - Thursday 16th June 9:00am - 2:30pm @ Trust Power Arena, Mt Maunganui
- Primary Gymnastics Competition 5 & 6s - Friday 17th June 8:30am - 2:30pm @ ARGOS Gym, Tauranga
- WBOP Cross Country (Year 4 - 6 qualifiers only) - Tuesday 21st June 9:00am - 2:00pm @ Waipuna Park, Welcome Bay
- BOP Cross Country (Year 4 - 6 qualifiers only) - Tuesday 28th June 9:00am - 2:30pm @ Waipuna Park, Welcome Bay
- TGA City Basketball World Cup Year 5 & 6s - Thursday 30th June 9:00am - 2:30pm @ Trust Power Arena, Mt Maunganui
We are sending two teams to the WBOP Amazing Race tomorrow. Good luck to Mauritz, Henry, Boston, Flynn, Cayden, Jamie, Tiana, Ruby, Tessa, Sophie, Jayda and Emmanuella!
If your child participates in gymnastics and is interested in competing in one of the upcoming Primary School Gymnastics competitions. Please email me for further information.
Other Sports Events
The Junior Tough Guy and Gal 'Mud Run' is taking place at Bay Park in Tauranga on Tuesday 14th June. As this is not a school event, children must be transported and supervised by parents, and reported as absent to the school office. Enter individually online by Friday 20th May at www.eventpromotions.co.nz
Otumoetai Football Club Initiative - Together in Football Platform
The aim of the Otumoetai Football Club Initiative "Together in Football Platform" is to help people overcome the financial barriers of sport by granting the opportunity to gain funding and/or playing gear so they can play the sport they love.
There are three ways to take advantage of the platform:
- Individuals can apply for funding and/or equipment
- You can support a player by donating used or new training clothing or equipment
- You can provide financial support by donating to the Together in Football Fund
I am located in the school Tech block during the hours below, otherwise, email is a reliable source of contact.
My office hours:
· Monday and Tuesday 11:00am - 3:00pm
· Wednesday 11:30am - 3:00pm
· Thursday 9:00am -3:30pm