NORTH NEWS September 26th
Where Tradition began, Excellence continues.
Message from Principal David Ewers
Believe it or not, we are rapidly approaching the end of the first quarter. Please help us in emphasizing attendance, engagement, and achievement with your student at home. Our core values as a building emphasize the following:
- Being where you are supposed to be.
- Doing what you are supposed to do.
- Doing it to the best of your ability.
If our students do those three things, they are on the right track to success! Let's have a strong finish to end of the first quarter. Have a great week and Go Bison!
Traffic updates- Johnson Dr and Metcalf Lane
NEWS & UPDATES FROM SM NORTH
After School Tutoring is back!
Beginning on September 26th (TODAY) we will have tutoring after school in the Learning Commons every Monday and Wednesday afternoon from 3:00-4:20. With this opportunity also comes FREE meals for students who stay. These can be picked up in the cafeteria at 2:50 and must be consumed on campus. FREE late busses will be available to bring students home anywhere in the North attendance area. Busses will leave from the cafeteria doors in the front circle drive at 4:30. Students must have a pass from a staff member to ride the free bus.
Photo Retakes - Wednesday 9/28 in the Auditorium
Retakes are this Wednesday, Sept. 28 from 7:30 a.m. – 9:30 a.m.
Underclassmen (grades 9-11) will be called down by alphabet. Seniors will report based on the time they signed up for on the form.
Students Grades 9 to 11-
If never photographed-no charge
If purchased and the package is returned-no charge
- Rolland Studios will not print a package at no charge if the original package is NOT returned!
If photographed first time but never purchased-$3.00 charge
The studio has moved to all online ordering.
Here is a site to prepay for students in grades 9-11 that want retakes: https://bit.ly/SMN9TO11
Senior Retakes are $10.00
There is a calendar for Seniors to sign up. The online Senior appointment system will make students pay online
QR code for Seniors Only below
Seniors Only: https://bit.ly/SMNSR22
How to order your school pictures
You have to wait and order when the “second chance to order” proof is delivered with all those that ordered packages in about 2 weeks.
The original forms for underclassmen to order from were only good until photo day – afterward the prices increase.
Go to https://rollandkc.gotphoto.com/login -- the access code is the student ID number. They can order photos right now.
Practice ACT on 10/12/22
Sophomores and Juniors will have an opportunity on Wednesday, October 12th to take an ACT Assessment. This assessment will be scored locally and does NOT count as scores for future use with post-secondary opportunities. This is a great opportunity to prepare for the free ACT in the spring, or other ACT testing opportunities this school year. If you would like the opportunity to take the ACT assessment on October 12th, please complete THIS FORM.
Student ID Cards
This year we will be allowing students to take a photo of their student identification card front and back once they are received to use as an acceptable form of identification to enter the building.
The only exception will be the senior students who go to outside lunch, they will still be required to show their actual I.D. card with the lunch sticker on the back of the card.
Students will still be required to purchase a replacement I.D. card after their fourth incident in which they fail to show a card, after that they will be required to see an administrator prior to being allowed into the building.
Safety and Security at SM North
A couple reminders about safety precautions we are taking at Shawnee Mission North moving forward. Violation of these policies can result in consequences from administration so please take this seriously:
- We will not prop exterior doors at any time at Shawnee Mission North.
- We will not open exterior doors for anyone to enter the building between 7:40 and 2:40. All students MUST enter through the main doors (in the circle drive) between 7:40 and 2:40.
- The only students allowed to leave the building without parent approval are SENIORS whose parents have completed the permission form for open lunch. Documentation/Identification must be shown upon return, and students may only return through the main doors (in the circle drive).
- Restrooms at Shawnee Mission North are single use only. Students found sharing restroom stalls are in violation of this policy and are subject to consequences from administration.
Please take these policies seriously as they help to keep us safe at the Brickhouse!
ATTENTION ALL PARENTS:
We are closing in on our first exclusion date for students who are missing required vaccinations.
Emails were sent at the end of last school year notifying parents/guardians of students who were in need of required vaccinations.
Another email will be sent in the next week to those who are in need of a vaccination.
Once your student receives the required vaccine, please send copy/proof of that to the nurse’s office. You may email the copy to email@example.com or fax to 913-993-1450.
We do not want to exclude any student from school. However, if they do not have the state required immunization they will not be able to be in attendance on October 13th. They will need to get that vaccine before returning to school after 10/13/22. Thank you all for helping us out! We appreciate your time and dedication to keeping SMN safe and healthy!!
Mary Alice Kelly BSN, RN
Val Snow aide
Celebrate your senior's graduation with a Senior Ad in the 2023 SM North yearbook.
The first deadline is Sept. 16.
To purchase an ad, go to www.yearbookforever.com. Choose Shawnee Mission North. You can upload all of your photos and pay there.
If you need help scanning to make the photos digital, or getting things uploaded, please call Mrs. Tate and she will assist you.
Thanks so much for supporting the SM North yearbook. We look forward to designing your senior’s ad.
If you have any questions, please contact yearbook advisor Becky Tate at 913-993-7012 or at firstname.lastname@example.org .
The theme for the 2022 Reflections Contest is:
Show your voice!
Students can submit their entries in the following categories:
Dance Choreography Music Composition
Film Production Photography
Literature Visual Arts
*** Specific entry (file) requirements are listed on entry form link below. ***
Tuesday, October 18, 2022 – entries due in the SM North office. Just drop the entry off there with the entry form.
No late entries will be accepted, school level judging starts on October 19.
School level winners announced! ( Between Oct 31st & Nov 4th)
Friday, November 4, 2022 – School level winners move to SMSD level judging
Tuesday, December 6, 2022 – District level winners announced at the Reflections Open House at the CAA
District level winners move to Kansas state level for judging – dates TBD
Questions? Contact the Reflections chair for Shawnee Mission North, Becky Tate, email@example.com, 913-993-7012 or stop by and see her in room 184.
- Digital entries can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. You can email the entry form too – or if it is easier, drop that off in the SM North front office.
- Physical entries (visual art & photography) and ALL completed and signed entry forms due to the North front office by 3:15 p.m. Oct. 19
Fee Payment 2022-23
Please use the link below to pay current and past due school fees – you can sign in as a guest with the students last name & ID number if you don’t want to set up an account.
Fees can also be paid at the school office from 7:30-3:30 M-F or by phone to Shelle Lewis 913-993-6910.
Required fees: Instructional Resource, ID card, Textbook Fee, Apple Repair, Participation & Course Fees. Optional fees: Parking, Pep Club, Class Dues, Yearbook, Literary Magazine
Any unpaid optional fees and dropped class fees will be swept from student accounts later in the semester.
NEWS FROM STUDENT SERVICES
AP Testing Information
AP Registration is open! Please follow the link below to register and pay for your AP Exam. If you already have a total registration account, please use your username or password to login.
You can find the AP Exam dates Here.
If you have questions, please reach out to BrittSherer@smsd.org for help.
Student JOB Postings
LOOKING FOR SUMMER EMPLOYMENT:
Advance Auto Parts - Click here to apply
YMCA - Before & After School Y Club - See flyer blow
Freddy's - freddys.com/careers
Amazon - Go to student services for more information.
Papa Murphy's on Shawnee Mission Parkway - 913-638-4552
UPS - Lenexa, KS email - email@example.com
Go to student services for more information.
SMN Athletics & Activities
- The Varsity Football team played a solid game but fell short in over-time vs SM East, 35-34. The team has earned some individual accolades with Coach Walter named KC Chiefs Coach of the week for KC Metro (2nd week) and QB, Jacob Needham named Hy-Vee Athlete of the Week.
- Boys Soccer: in the first half, Joshua Mercado put SM North up 1-0 with a well placed PK. Early into the second half, Gardner scored to even the score 1-1. With 10 minutes remaining, Joshua Mercado sent a great pass to Quinn Chambon who slipped past the defense and gave the Bison a 2-1 lead. It was a great all around performance by the Bison. On Tuesday, the team gave a valiant effort vs. Olathe North, losing 2-1.
- Girls Varsity Volleyball beat Bonner Springs in 3 games (20-25; 25-20; 25-23); They followed that up with a tough match vs defending 5A State runner-up St. James Academy, 25-10, 25-10. On Monday, the team secured two wins vs. Kansas City Washington and KC Turner. They also played Olathe South and Mill Valley and dropped both matches.
- Varsity Cross Country traveled up to Minneapolis, Minnesota to compete in the Roy Griak Invitational. This has become an annual trip up North to one for the most competitive high school XC races in the US. The boys ran first in the rainy/wet conditions and Micah Blomker led the boys team with a 9th place finish (16:01). Diego Rojas, Gage Chapman, Gavin Montagne, and Nathan Schweiger finished out the top placers for the boys. The boys team went out hard and fell from 27th place at the mile to finish 38th overall as a team. The girls team was led by Brenna Murphy (20:58) who finished 113th overall. The girls team ran smart and moved up during the racing and finished 46th overall as a team. The Wayzata girls team, who is nationally ranked, won the meet. The varsity teams race again on October 1st at the Baldwin City Maple Leaf Classic. The SMN girls team will have their full varsity team together for the first time in Baldwin.
- SM North Gymnastics team hosted the North Gymnastics Invite at SMNW on Saturday, September 18. Olathe North captured the championship. This past weekend, North attended the Sunflower League Championships at LHS. Meagan Driever led the Bison placing 7th overall.
- Girls Golf: Jocelyn Armendariz paced the North Bison shooting a season and career low 103 with two pars at the second or three Sunflower League Tournaments today at Sunflower Hills Golf course. Senior Sareen Kronawiter got her second career par today as North continues to improve on the links. The Golfers will be playing a 9 hole Ryder cup format at St. Andrews Golf Course as we roll toward the last few weeks of the season.
- Girls Tennis team will compete vs Olathe North today , vs SM South on Wednesday and Sunflower League Championships on Thursday at CBAC.
- Unified Bowling begins practice this week. Contact Robyn Barreca and David Langton RobynBarreca@smsd.org or Davidlangton@smsd.org
SMSD will host a college eligibility informational session on Monday, October 17 at 7:00pm @ SM West. It’s never too early to begin this process.
Reports will be provided to coaches daily from skyward. We use the canvas platform which must be synchronized with Skyward; due to syn issues;
Eligibility reports are Bi-weekly process
1st and 3rd Monday of the month
If a student shows the AD between reports, he/she improved their grade then he/she is immediately reinstated.
If a student does not improve and is on the next report they become ineligible for contests until they can show they are passing 5. They regain eligibility as soon as they can show proof and the process starts all over again.
SM North subscribes to Core Course GPA. If your student is interested in participating in collegiate athletics please visit the website and begin the registration process. SMSD will host a college eligibility informational session in late fall. It’s never too early to begin this process.
CoreCourseGPA.com now makes it easier than ever to educate your student-athletes and families on various aspects of NCAA/NAIA initial-eligibility and recruiting. Just click on the 1-Minute Recruiting Webinars below:
Football Varsity Coach: Andy Walter
VNN Website: smnbison.com
Boys Soccer Varsity Coach: Jaime Velez
VNN Website: SM Boys Soccer
Girls Tennis Varsity Coach: Andrew Lause
Assistant coach in building - Amanda Polking
VNN Website: SMN tennis
Gymnastics Varsity Coach: Sarah Hink (teacher at SMNW) |
Assistant Coach: Morgan Hoffman (teacher at Mill Creek Elementary)
Girls Golf Varsity Coach: Walter Mansfield
VNN Website: SMN Girls golf
Girls & Boys Cross-Country Varsity Coach: Aaron Davidson
VNN Website: SMN Cross-country
Volleyball Varsity Coach: Riann Hill
Special Olympics Unified Sports® is an inclusive activities program that combines an approximately equal number of Special Olympics students with intellectual disabilities and students without intellectual disabilities on teams for competition and inclusive activities fostering an environment of social inclusion. Unified Bowling will annually begin in Standard Calendar Week #13 and conclude with a state tournament during Standardized Calendar Week #20. Unified Bowling will operate like any other KSHSAA activity with all participants meeting individual eligibility requirements.
COVID 19 Automatic Waiver 2023-23 Enrollment - NCAA
Given the continuing impact of COVID-19 on the educational environment, the NCAA Eligibility Center has partnered with the NCAA membership to identify adjustments to the initial-eligibility certification process for students who initially enroll full time in an NCAA Division I or II school during the 2023-24 academic year. Click here to learn more about these important adjustments. This directly impacts rising seniors. Please share this information with your athletes!
KSHSAA Physical Packet- PPE (Rev. 3-20), Concussion Info Release Form, Transportation Release Form- HS - English [Required Athletic Forms for High School Students]
KSHSAA Physical Packet- PPE (Rev. 3-20), Concussion Info Release Form, Transportation Release Form- HS - Spanish [Required Athletic Forms for High School Students
Voluntary Student Accident Insurance (Managed by K&K Insurance)
Our school district has selected the Student Insurance Plan from K&K Insurance Group to make reliable coverage available to parents. If you don’t have other insurance, this plan may be a resource to consider. Additionally, even if you have other coverage, this plan can help fill expensive “gaps' ' caused by deductibles and copays. Coverage may be purchased at any time during the school year.
High School Sports Information
Student Council Information
NEWS AND UPDATES
Bonfire: bonfire in the East parking lot on 10/12
Senior Night for football: 10/13
Red Ribbon Week: October 24-28
Join PTSA (optional, but highly encouraged): Parents, grandparents, teachers, and community members: You can now become a PTSA member. Your membership helps support our students and their school!
Check PTSA out on Twitter @SMNorthPTSA or https://twitter.com/SMNorthPTSA
Check PTSA out on Facebook @SMNorthPTSA or https://www.facebook.com/SMNorthPTSA/
Check the PTSA Website http://smnorth.smsd.org/Pages/parent-involvement/PTSA.aspx
Join the PTSA Here - https://secure.jotformpro.com/form/41480960832961
SMN BOOSTER CLUB
CONGRATS to the following groups at North that were awarded a total of $11,055 in grants at the September All-Activities Booster Club meeting...
SMN Cheer and Pep Club - Bison Banner and Flag
SMN Cheer - 100 Pink Poms
SMN Band - New Marching Banner
SMN PE Dept and Athletics - 250 locks for lockers
SMN Football, PE Dept, and Athletics - Athletic timing system and Jump Ease
SMN Girls Basketball - New Warm-Ups
THANK YOU to the North Community for supporting SMN Booster Club fundraising efforts to make these grants possible!!
**Funding for the SMN All-Activities Booster Club Grant Program comes from memberships, spirit wear sales, and our annual fundraisers (Trivia Night & Golf Tournament)**
The SMN Booster Club is looking for volunteers to assist with spirit wear sales at the football game, THIS Friday, Sept 30 from 7:00-8:45pm. Click on the link below for more info and to sign-up!
2022-23 SMN All-Activities Booster Club Meeting Dates:
Oct 17, Nov 14, Jan 9, Feb 6, Mar 6, Apr 17 (meetings are held at 6:30pm – Nov & Jan will be on Zoom)
Purchase SMN Spirit Wear, Booster Club Memberships, and Sports Fast Passes at our online store (link below) - check out our NEW gear and 100th Anniversary items!!
News from SMSD
Transportation Update - Sign up for Text Notifications
In the event there are times throughout the year when routes are running late and notification is needed at the school and family level, we want to encourage you to sign up for Textcaster notifications. We have previously pushed a number of communications about this to families via school newsletters (with your assistance) as well as through district communications reminding of the availability to sign up for text notifications when routes are running late or compressed with other buses. We encourage you to also sign up to receive text notifications as it is the fastest way to provide notice of any changes.
Sign up for notifications at the following link: https://my.textcaster.com/asa/2795 where you can select the route numbers pertaining to your school (you may select multiple bus routes). Additionally, we will do our best to provide you with updates as we receive them.
SMAC PTA Clothing Exchange
The SMAC PTA Clothing Exchange is excited to be back in service to the SMSD community! Please see attached files in English and Spanish with more information about the Schedule for the Clothing Exchange.
Application Needed for Free or Reduced Meals
To receive FREE or REDUCED cost meals in the 2022-2023 school year, families will need to complete a meal benefit application. Over the past few years, federal school meal waivers made free meals for all students possible. Congress has not extended this waiver for the 2022-2023 school year.
The meal benefit application can be found on School Café. If you are unable to complete the application online, a paper application is available. Click here for more information.
Children may receive free or reduced price meals based on certain Medicaid benefits or if household income is within the limits on Federal Income Eligibility Guidelines.
Benefits of Applying
Applying and qualifying for free and reduced meals can benefit families and the Shawnee Mission School District in multiple ways:
Free or Reduced Meals
Students who qualify through a meal benefit application will be able to eat breakfast and lunch at a free or reduced cost this year.
State Funds for Schools
The application generates additional funds for schools. These funds support staffing and other resources to help student learning. If families do not complete the application, the district will not be able to receive state funding for which it is eligible.
Potential Fee Reductions
Qualifying for child nutrition meal benefits provides other benefits to eligible families, which may include free/reduced instructional resource fees, transportation fees, and Pre-k enrollment.
Families are encouraged to complete a Consent for Disclosure form in Skyward which gives SMSD Food Service permission to share a child’s eligibility status information with the programs families designate on the consent form.
If you do not have a Skyward Family Access account, you may contact your child’s school office after July 26 to inquire about setting up account access.
Important Information If You are Directly Certified
Do not complete the application if you are Directly Certified to receive free meals. If you receive state assistance and have not received a notification of eligibility, call the SMSD Food Service office before completing a meal program application.
- Families who are directly certified are encouraged to complete a Consent for Disclosure form in Skyward which gives SMSD Food Service permission to share a child’s eligibility status information with the programs families designate on the consent form.
Students and Families:
We hope you are enjoying the new MacBooks! Now that 99.9% of our students have been issued a MacBook, it is very important to make sure students are taking the best care possible of the devices. Below are some important reminders to help protect the MacBook and your student.
We want to remind you of a few things now that we are back in the swing of the school year:
1. Your MacBook must have the district issued case on it at all times. (Failure to have the cover in place will result in confiscation of the MacBook.)
2. Please only carry your MacBook with the screen shut and with both hands to keep the machine secure.
3. Do not ever pick up the MacBook by the screen. The LCD screen on these devices are very sensitive and the pressure of your grip will break the screen. (Other schools are already reporting damage from students holding and carrying the MacBook by the screen.)
4. Keyboard covers should not be used since non-Apple keyboard covers might be too large and can put pressure on the screens and cause damage.
5. Do NOT slam the MacBook shut, this causes lines in the LCD screen and also the screen to go “white.”
6. Always open the screen from the center clip on the case. Opening from the sides will cause damage.
7. Carrying the computer from the screen will also damage/loosed/break the hinge.
8. Please don’t leave your MacBook in a car. Extreme temperature (hot and cold) conditions will cause issues for the MacBook. (And provide a target for theft)
9. Needed applications can be found on Manager. You will not be able to download programs from the App Store for use on these devices. If you need access to a program that isn’t in Manager, please submit a Help Desk Ticket ( https://support.smsd.org )
10. Downloading VPNs (Virtual Private Networks) or other programs that mask your device on the network are a violation of the Responsible Use Policy you have agreed to. Use of VPN’s will result in the confiscation of the MacBook and you may lose MacBook access for the semester/school year.
11. If you ever need help or support with your device you can submit a Web Help Desk Ticket and our Tech Analyst assigned to SMN will find you to help with the issue. If there ever is a problem, you should start by submitting a Help Desk Ticket at https://support.smsd.org
12. Keep your charger safe, preferably at home. Charging your device each night to 100% will last all day at school.
13. Do NOT eat or drink near the device, this keeps it clean and away from possible accidents.
Please reach out if there are any questions or issues we can help with as you use your new MacBook. -Mr. Jamison
Canvas and Skyward Parent Accounts
- ** Please Note- If you have an account from previous years (even Hocker Grove), there is no need to create another account.
- New users: Download the Canvas Parent App from the App Store or Google Play store.
- Follow the prompts to create your account. Create a username and password.
- Search SMSD (Shawnee Mission School District) > Shawnee Mission North > Eventually it will ask you for a “Pairing Code”
- To find your student’s “Pairing Code”
- In your student’s Canvas account have your student click on “Account” (Top Left)
- Click on “Settings” > then click on “Pair with Observer” (Right side)
- Enter this “Pairing code” when prompted in your Canvas Parent App.
- Note that each parent needs a different code, therefore repeating this process to generate a different code. If more than one student, you will be prompted to “add student” on the app. Repeat the process to generate their observer code.
- If your student will not provide the code to you, please reach out to the school to get the Pairing Code. 😊
- Additional Canvas gradebook information can be found here.
- Canvas has the most up-to-date grade information for your student, if you have questions about missing assignments, please contact your student’s teacher.
To get information about your login information for your Skyward parent account please contact Student Services at 913-993-6930. Skyward helps parents keep track of attendance, pay school fees, view national and state test scores, complete the online verification process and much, much more.