LCMS Weekly Newsletter
By Tami Gunset
Tuesday, January 5 - fourth six weeks begin
* If your student missed any of their fall semester exams, those need to be taken by Thursday, January 7. Please encourage your child to make before- and after-school arrangements to take their exams. Please know that exams are 10% of your student's fall semester grade, so they are very important.
** I have listed the 2016 STAAR Dates below - please put these dates in your calendar as it is very important that your child be present on these days. Please avoid making any appointments during these dates. If you have any questions, please let me know as soon as possible.
21st Century Before and After School Programs
Spring programming is here at LCMS! Please look over the list and return the attached registration form as quickly as possible to ensure your student is enrolled in the class of their choice. We will also offer tutoring this semester. These tutoring sessions will be offered per teacher recommendation – so be on the lookout for a special registration form from your student’s teacher(s). We are excited about the programming we have available and hope you are too!
Robotics – students will learn the principles and dynamics of robotic construction and how this exciting career field is growing.
Technology Club – students will have the opportunity to utilize our Xbox gaming systems and games. Additionally, students will be exposed to other technology resources.
Space Explorers – students will have the opportunity to explore rocket science, space food and nutrition, astrobiology, and new planet discussion and discovery.
Daybreak and Second Chance Homework Help – two opportunities to
complete homework or work on a school project with a teacher’s help.
STEM – get ready for Science Fair! Students will engage in different science, technology, engineering and math projects.
Police Explorers – learn about current law enforcement issues and explore the law enforcement career field – guest speakers will be on hand to give insight into law enforcement career fields.
Chess Club– opportunity to learn how to play chess and fine tune skills.
- Leadership Live – community projects, mentoring, student council, learning about government – all great additions to college transcripts and work applications.
Organizational Guidance – meet every other week to keep on track and stay organized – with your homework and backpack.
Pom/Drill Team Dance – a great opportunity to learn the dynamics and fundamentals of dance from a professional dance instructor.
Sunrise Leadership – make plans to join and listen to great speakers who will share motivating and uplifting personal stories, and a great way to start your Thursday.
Sports Clinics – special clinics and open gym times will be offered throughout the semester. Watch for additional notification to come home with your student.
STAAR Tutorials – notifications will be sent home with your student via special registration.
Next Two Weeks Calendar Events
- Monday, January 4 - Teacher Workday/Student Holiday
- Tuesday, January 5 - 4th Six Weeks Begin
- Thursday, January 7 - Girls Basketball vs Hutch @ LCHS (6pm/7pm)
- Thursday, January 7 - Boys Basketball @ Hutch (5:30pm/6:30pm)
- Monday, January 11 - Girls Basketball vs Mackenzie @ LCHS (6pm/7pm)
- Monday, January 11 - Boys Basketball @ Mackenzie (5:30pm/6:30pm)
- Thursday, January 14 - Science Fair set-up @ LC Fieldhouse - PM Only
- Friday, January 15 - District Wide Local Science Fair @ LC Fieldhouse - All Day
2016 STAAR DATES
- 8th grade Mathematics
- 7th grade Writing
Wednesday, March 30
- 8th grade Reading
Week of May 2-6
- 8th grade Algebra EOC Assessment Window
Monday, May 9
- 6th grade Mathematics
- 7th grade Mathematics
- 8th grade Mathematics ~ Second Administration (those that did not pass in March)
Tuesday, May 10
- 6th grade Reading
- 7th grade Reading
- 8th grade Reading ~ Second Administration (those that did not pass in March)
Wednesday, May 11
- 8th grade Science
Thursday, May 12
- 8th grade Social Studies
Friday, May 13
- STAAR Make-up DEADLINE
Tuesday, June 21
- 8th grade Mathematics ~ Third Administration (those that did not pass in May)
Wednesday, June 22
- 8th grade Reading ~ Third Administration (those that did not pass in May)
Attendance Reminders for LCMS:
- School begins at 8:00 AM.
- First bell rings at 7:55 AM.
- Tardy bell rings at 8:00 AM.
- Any arrivals after 8:20 AM are counted as an absence for 1st/9th period.
- If your student is ill, please call in by 10:00 AM. The attendance line phone number is (806) 863-7184 (Sally Aguilar) – it is important to call the attendance line rather than the main line to report an absence.
- Students are allowed up to seven days excused with a parent phone call or parent note.
- After a student's seventh absence, a doctor’s note is required.
- Students are allowed one personal day per year (counted as an excused absence.) Written notice must be approved by campus principal three days prior to the absence. Please keep in mind that the personal day must be taken before the student's seventh absence.
| || |
Parent Organization Facebook Page - Please Like/Follow