Thanks to everyone who participated in Wednesday’s contest during Library Week! There are 10,177 books and DVDs in our library! The winner from each grade category is the closest guess without going over. The winners are:
- Grades K-3: Anwyll was the closest with a guess of 2,506
- Grades 4-8: Muawiyah was the closest with a guess of 10,000
- Grades 9-12: Jonathan was the closest with a guess of 9,655
Congratulations! Winners can come to the library Mon-Fri from 7:30-3:00 to pick up your prize!
ASB, Mr. Antti and musicians host our first lunch concert!
Last Thursday during lunchtime MEA students got serenaded by some of our musicians and served ice-cream by our ASB. Thanks to the musicians for sharing their talents and the ASB for "sweetening" the event!
Federal Impact Survey Cards
Federal Survey cards will be mailed out to you on Wednesday, October 5. Please fill yours out and bring it to your supervising teacher right away and no later than Thursday, October 13. If you didn't receive a card, there are blank cards available in the front office or from your supervising teacher.
As a special incentive to help meet this important deadline, the students of the first supervising teacher that gets 100% of their cards turned in will get a PIZZA PARTY!
Sometimes we get questions on why the federal survey card needs to be filled out every year. Each year our district receives over $8 million in Impact Aid funding. This is not automatic – we must apply for it each year and we need the information from you. Thank you for getting this done and helping funds come to our school!
Looking for a previous Monday Message?
For a quick reference to previous Monday Messages, they are all now on our school website. There's a link in the white column that's on the left of our home page...so no need to dig through a mountain of emails to review school announcements! Click for link
MakerSpace Wish List
Are you able to donate any of the items below for our new MakerSpace? All these materials will supplement the tinkering opportunities for our students!
- Sewing Materials: sewing machines, fabric, needles, ribbon, stuffing, patterns, tools/notions, sewing books, old sweaters washed and dried on high heat.
- Hand Tools: hammers, pliers, nails, screws, wire cutters, crimpers, wrenches, chisels, clamps...
- Jewelry Tools: crimpers, pliers (round nose, flat, chain nose), bead stops, beads, wire, stretch string, clasps...
- PVC pipes
- iPhones (old ones you no longer use)
- hot glue guns
- button and coin batteries
- robotics equipment
- electronics kits
- VOLUNTEERS! Share your knowledge with students and teach the next generation of makers!
Come by and check us out. We’d love to talk to you about making our space your place to create!
Barb Mulvany (email@example.com)
Nikki Bradford (firstname.lastname@example.org)
* * * Extracurricular Activities * * *
Library Time starts this week!
Students can come to the library, listen to a story, and check out a book or two. The schedule is as follows:
- TK, K and First - Tuesdays 8:40 - 9:00
- Second Grade - Thursdays 8:40 - 9:00
- Third Grade - Tuesdays 12:00 - 12:15
- Fourth Grade - Thursdays 12:00 - 12:15
- Fifth Grade - Wednesdays 8:40 - 9:00
Art with Ms. Flo starts this week!
Younger students will learn basic techniques and styles through the creation of multimedia art. Older students will explore design elements and principles through different media such as ink, acrylic paint, watercolor paint, papier-mache, clay and more.
Intermediate Art Club
Tuesdays / 1:45 - 2:45 / Room 10
Secondary Art Club for grades 6-12
Thursdays / 10:40 - 11:55 / Room 10
Elementary Art for grades K-5
Thursdays / 12:30 - 1:30 / Room 10
Sewing Crafts starts this week!
From October 5 through October 27, all students are invited to come to the Maker Space (room 7) to learn the fundamentals of sewing. Advanced students are welcome also.
- Wed. October 5 / 10:00-12:00 / Stitched, stuffed pumpkins
- Thurs. October 6 / 12:30-1:45 / Beginner/Intermediate sewing lecture: how sewing works
- Wed. October 12 / 10:00-12:00 / Ghostly stitched house
- Thurs. October 13 /12:30-1:45 / Beginner/Intermediate sewing lecture: patterns and sewing projects, how they work
- Wed. October / 19 10:00-12:00 / Stitched Halloween masks
- Thurs. October 20 / 12:30 - 1:45 / Beginner/Intermediate sewing: using a machine, a hands-on lab
- Wed. October 26 / 10:00-12:00 / Stitched creature finger puppet/desk pet
- Thurs. October 27 / 12:30 - 1:45 / Beginner/Intermediate: using a machine part deux, the sequel
* * * UPCOMING EVENTS & ACTIVITIES * * *
PSAT Sign Ups
PSAT Test on Wednesday, October 19
Students, if you're planning to take the PSAT on Oct. 19, please sign up in the front office. All 10th graders can take the test for free, but you MUST sign up. For all other students, the cost is $15 (payable by check or cash). Check in the front office for PSAT practice booklets.
Girl Up invites everyone to celebration at UCSD
On October 9th from 2:00-4:30, all Mt. Everest Academy families are invited to the International Day of the Girl Child celebrations at UCSD. There will be workshops, booths, and 52nd district Congressman Scott Peters will be speaking! It will also be a great chance to meet people from STEM and politics around San Diego in our networking session. For more information, visit our Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/DGCYSC/). We'll see you there!
* * * COUNSELING CORNER * * *
Hello Juniors! Here is an opportunity to hear from admissions experts from Harvard, Princeton, Wellesley, Yale and the University of Virginia right here in San Diego on October 20. Just go to the website, sign up and you are in. http://www.hpuwy.com
* * * LIBRARY NEWS * * *
Grades K-6: Sign up for BookIt! in the library. Read books and earn FREE PIZZA!
All students need to do is come in to the library, sign up and receive a reading log. At the end of each month, turn in the completed reading log. You will then receive a coupon for a FREE personal pan pizza from Pizza Hut! Pick up your new reading log and begin again for the next month. Link to Pizza Hut's BookIt!
Our library has gone mobile! Download the free Destiny Quest app from iTunes, Google Play or wherever you get your apps. After downloading the app, you can set up by entering the library URL: http://library.sandi.net. Scroll down to Mt Everest, select and log in using your Mt Everest username and password. You can check book availability, reserve a book, see newly added books, and check due dates!
Did you know some of our Spanish and middle school textbooks can be accessed online?
The math books for grades 6, 7, and 8, the Social Studies books for grades 6, 7 and 8, and the Science book for grade 6 are all online.
Avancemos years one and two are also online (the Spanish textbooks).
Go to http://library.sandi.net/?site=221 This will take you to our library's homepage. Click on Textbooks in PDF under the Library Staff heading. Log in with your child’s username and password. You can even download the books!
* * * COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS * * *
Calling All SDUSD Violinists grades 3-12
Do you have at least one year of playing experience? San Diego Unified School District and the CA State Old Time Fiddler's Association have joined forces to present the "4th Annual San Diego Unified Fiddlin' Festival." The performance will be on November 18. If you'd like to rehearse with and be part of this fiddlin' festival, please see the attached flyer.
Baskets & Botany
Saturday, October 8 / 10:00-4:00 / Tecolote Nature Center
Located right here in Mt. Everest Academy's backyard, come explore Kumeyaay culture and nature. Enjoy the Soaring Eagles Native American dancers, storytelling, sand painting, live birds of prey, children's craft area, and more! Click for flyer