The Lion’s Roar Home of the Lions
Week of March 20, 2020
Every Day, Every Child, Whatever It Takes
At Lakeside Elementary our mission is to provide diverse opportunities for learning as appropriate for each student to become productive members of society.
Mrs. Smith’s Snapchat…
Hello Lakeside Parents and Guardians,
As Dr. Hanson mentioned yesterday in his phone call message, we were informed that Governor Eric Holcomb has mandated all schools to remain closed until May 1, 2020. This mandated closure follows the recent Centers for Disease Control guidelines to limit gatherings to less than 10.
These are unprecedented times and we recognize how challenging this will be for all of our Lakeside and Warren families, students and staff. The district food program has been a success and I urge you to read the letter below outlining additional information about the ongoing food opportunities. If you have a significant need, you can call our District Community Outreach Hotline at 317-869-4308 and leave your information. Someone from the district will contact you as soon as possible.
I hope that you and your family have a great Spring Break and as always, I thank you for your continued support of Lakeside Elementary! Please continue to monitor our website, district app, school newsletters, and our social media Twitter and Facebook accounts for updated information.
Stay Safe & Take Care!
If you haven’t already done so, please consider following Lakeside on Twitter and/or Facebook… Twitter: @ Lakeside_Lions Facebook: @LakesideLionsDen
Check out our webpage:https://lakeside.warren.k12.in.us/o/lakeside-elementary
We miss our Lakeside students! We hope you have a fun and safe Spring Break!
COVID-19 District Webpage
Additional Updates and Information
- Student Report Cards are available to view through the Parent Portal.
- District Food Outreach will run through Spring Break.
- As a reminder, this week has not been an official E-Learning week for Warren Township. Following Spring Break, we will be sending additional information on this extended closure from school. Please continue to monitor our website, district app, school newsletters, and our social media Twitter and Facebook accounts for updated information.
- If you have a significant need, you can call our District Community Outreach Hotline at 317-869-4308 and leave your information. Someone from the district will contact you as soon as possible.
Below is information regarding the MSD Warren Township food outreach plan starting March 19th.
How Can I Keep Them Busy?
A Sample Day with Ideas to Help Fill the Time
*Disclaimer: what follows is a pretty packed day with a lot of transitions and links to some great websites. The purpose here is not to impose a structure but to offer ideas for how to break up the time. Think of it as a menu of options; pick and choose what works for your children and your family.
8:00 Make breakfast together
9:00 An hour of academic time
10:00 DIY Science project
11:00 Exercise! Here are some Indoor suggestions
12:00 Creative lunch-making
1:00 Second session of academic time
2:00 Round 2 of physical activity - we all need it...
3:00 Healthy snack & DIY Crafts project
4:00 Write, rehearse, and perform a play or mock commercial, or dress up time.
6:00 Prepare, eat, and clean up dinner; everyone helps.
8:00 Board Games/showers/read aloud before bed
Scholastic has created a learn at home page:
The Scholastic Learn at Home website does not require a username or password and is open freely to all, on any device. They are designed to limit the need for printing and allow students to learn independently or with their families.
The site supports students with approximately three hours of learning opportunities per day, including projects, articles and stories, virtual field trips, reading and geography challenges, and more. These daily learning opportunities were carefully curated by our editors to reduce the burden on teachers and families needing to create meaningful learning experiences.
Visit http://cincinnatizoo.org/ for more information
- Louvre Museum, Paris https://www.louvre.fr/en/visites-en-ligne
- National Gallery of Art, Washington DC https://artsandculture.google.com/partner/national-gallery-of-art-washington-dc?hl=en
- Metropolitan Museum of Art https://artsandculture.google.com/partner/the-metropolitan-museum-of-art
- Van Gogh Museum, Amsterdam https://artsandculture.google.com/partner/van-gogh-museum?hl=en
- Uffizi Gallery, Florence Italy https://artsandculture.google.com/partner/uffizi-gallery?hl=en
- San Diego Zoo https://kids.sandiegozoo.org/videos
- Zoo Atlanta Panda Cam https://youtu.be/_6wbfVWVk8Q
- Smithsonian’s National Zoo https://nationalzoo.si.edu/webcams
- Reid Park Zoo Lion Cam in Tuscon, AZ http://reidparkzoo.org/cameras/lion-cam/
- Ouwehand Park Polar Bear Cubs Rhenen, Netherland https://explore.org/livecams/polar-bears/polar-bear-ouwehand-twin-cubs-cam-2
- Monterey Bay Aquarium https://www.montereybayaquarium.org/animals-and-exhibits/live-web-cams
- Georgia Aquarium https://www.georgiaaquarium.org/webcam/ocean-voyager/
- National Aquarium Virtual Tour http://samuraivirtualtours.com/example/nadc/index.html
- Virtual Tour of the Seattle Aquarium
Free Community Resources!
Community Compass launched an app recently to help users find food pantries, farmers’ markets and hot meal sites. It is also designed to navigate a variety of nutrition assistance programs, such as the Supplement Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) and Women, Infants and Children (WIC) programs. The project was funded by the City-County Council and overseen by Office of Public Health and Safety. For more information, call 317-434-3758 for visit https://www.indyhunger.org/compass