Chapter 8 Dietary Guidelines
What Do Dietary Guidelines Do For Americans?
- A health risk is the likelihood of developing health problems, such as heart disease, diabetes, and some cancers.
- Diet is an eating plan.
Getting Enough Nutrients Within Your Calories
- 4 risk factors includes things such as diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, and some types of cancers,
- Nutrient-dense food is a food that provides high amounts of vitamins and minerals for relatively few calories.
How To Maintain Healthy Weight
- Risk factor is a condition that increasing your chances of developing a problem.
- Diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, cancers, and arthritis all relates to too much body fat.
- When you're underweight your body does not have enough fat to reserve energy.
- 2 suggestions for losing weight is dieting and increasing physical activity.
Suggestions For Being Physically Active Everyday
- Being active helps you control your weight and strengthens your heart and lungs.
- Teens should get at least 60 minutes of physically activity a day.
- To get involved you can do such as joining a team sport or spend less time watching television.
Importance of Whole Grains, Fruits, Veggies, and Milk
- These foods are rich, cholesterol free, and naturally low in fats and calories.
- They also help protect against heart disease and cancer.
- You can involve these products by eating fruit instead of sugary desserts, eat veggies with meals, or even drink yogurt smoothies for snacks.
How To Limit Fats And Cholesterol
- Saturated and trans fats raises cholesterol.
- Cholesterol can develop heart disease.
- Read food labels to compare the total fat intake.
Be Choosy About Carbs
- Some sugars are naturally present in nutrient-rich fruit and milk.
- Foods with added sugars, such as candy and soft drinks, are high in calories but often low in minerals, vitamins, complex carbs, and protein.
- Sugar can also cause diabetes.
Why reduce Sodium and Increase Potassium?
- Sodium helps control body fluids.
- Too much sodium can cause high blood pressure, heart attack, and stroke.
- The function of potassium is many fruits and veggies.
- Drinking can affect, or influence, your judgement, and can lead to accidents and injuries.
- When food is not properly handles, stored, and prepared, it can cause foodborne illness.