WINTER PARK BAND Weekly Newsletter
August 30, 2020
THIS WEEK - No After School Events
From Mr. Clemente
Dear Winter Park Band families,
I hope you all have had a pleasant weekend!
As many of you have heard by now, this past Tuesday the OCPS School Board voted on a plan to resume fall sports this coming week. With that plan the School Board, along with their Medical Advisory Committee and the principals of all 20 high schools in OCPS, made the announcement that for the time being all bands, cheerleader teams, and dance teams will not be in attendance at football games until the 2021-2022 school year. This is in an effort to begin any effort at starting fall sports as safely as possible, as the logistics of any fall sport starting have so much more involved this year than any other.
I know that the major question all our Band families have now is what this means for marching band this fall. The news this week has been emotional for many as the leadership in our county tries to make the most informed and best decisions they are able in the interest of not only our students, teachers, and community at WPHS, but for the greater Orlando community as a whole. In short, the worst case scenario is that we will not be able to attend football games for the 2020 season. This by all means is not "etched in stone." Through meetings with the school administration, I am confident that if the conditions in our community continue to stabilize and improve that the principals and the Medical Advisory Committee with revisit and revaluate their decision. Major takeaway - there is very much still the possibility for the "Sound of the Wildcats" to have a presence in some way at future football games this fall. The next few weeks will be very telling as to how we proceed.
In preparation for that potential future presence at football games, we - the directors - will be looking at our schedule and planning some after school rehearsals for the marching band starting the week of September 8. Due to current restrictions on how many students may meet all at once we will not be able to have the complete band together yet, but we will do our best to begin preparing our traditional music played at all football games and events. Section Leaders especially will be tasked with ensuring that their section is prepared with sheet music so their section mates will be as prepared as possible for future rehearsals. Please stay tuned for more information.
Step 3 Band Registration Forms are now past due since Monday, 8/24. Many of our families have already completed and turned in the forms - thank you! Please ensure that your forms are either physically in the Band office or digitally in the director's email inboxes by the end of the day tomorrow. More information and links to the forms below in the "BAND FORMS" section.
All-State Band and Jazz Auditions are still scheduled to take place this school year. Auditions are open to all grade levels, 9 - 12, and any student in the Band program. All students who are interested in auditioning should have received the audition music before the summer break. If you have not, however, you may access the audition excerpts and requirements by clicking the link below.
ALL-STATE AUDITION MATERIALS - must be logged into OCPS account to view.
All Band families should now have access to CHARMS. I ask that all students AND parents take a moment to login to their CHARMS account to ensure they are able to view everything located in the system. If anyone has an issue with logging in, especially after consulting the instructions on Canvas and at the last portion of this newsletter, please email the directors.
Again thank you all for a great first week of school! Here, again, are some tips to prepare for digital learning:
- ALL STUDENTS should restart their computers this evening (Sunday) to allow time for any updates to take place. There may not be any, but it's a good practice to get into in case the school district pushes updates out to the students.
- FULLY CHARGE your laptop overnight and be close to an outlet tomorrow, just in case. Do this each and every night before school!
- TEST YORU CAMERA AND MICROPHONE and be sure both are in working order. If either your camera and/or microphone are malfunctioning, it is the responsibility of the student to take their computer in to the school and have the situation remedied ASAP as to not be marked absent due to their webcam not being turned on during instruction. Please take care of this!
- CHECK YOUR INSTRUMENT to be sure it is in working order. Starting this week, students will be turning in assignments that require playing their instrument. If you have any issues, contact the directors immediately.
Let's have a great week!
From the Band Booster President
Week of August 30, 2020
We hope everyone is well. Please stay tuned for information about Ad Sales, coming out this week. We will still have a program this year, and we are planning to make it available in a digital format as well. This is a wonderful way to engage community and family members interested in supporting the band. Please look for details soon. We will be scheduling a general band booster meeting (for all parents) via Zoom in the next week or two so we hope everyone will be able to attend.
Have a great week everyone!
NEW PARENT LIAISON
PROGRAM ADS AND SPONSORS FUNDRAISER
The Band’s Concert Program is distributed, free of charge, at all concerts during the school year. In addition to pictures of the Band and information about its members, the Program also contains advertisements from local businesses and Band families. The sale of these ads is a great way for your student to raise money that will defray your financial obligations to the Band. The student’s Band account will be credited with 60% of the ad revenue that he/she sells, depending on the Band’s printing cost. Ana Nazarian is the parent volunteer in charge of the Concert Program. Her contact info is listed below.
Options for Ads/Sponsorship Sales:
- Local Business Ads: These are black and white ads of varying sizes (business card, ¼ page, ½ page or full page). A company should submit an electronic copy of its ad in a high-resolution format of at least 300 dpi or better. Acceptable files include: PDF, JPG, PNG, EPS and PSD. Email the file to email@example.com. We request the digital format of the ad be the actual size of the ad that you are purchasing. Two business cards are required for business card ads.
- Student Dedications: Parents and other family members of any grade level student may purchase ad space (¼, ½, or full) as a dedication to their student or student’s section. The same formatting and resolution requirements listed above apply to Student Dedication Ads. A great way to honor your student, especially Seniors, and 60% goes back to you as fundraising credit!
- Sponsorships from local businesses or families: Sponsors are financial donors listed together on a single page in the program, according to the contribution level. If you know someone who would like to donate to the Band but does not own a business, this is a great way for them to show their support.
It’s Super Easy!!!
Steps for Selling a Band Program Ad:
- Upon initial contact with a business, provide the cover letter and order form. It is helpful to show potential advertisers a copy of last year’s Program. Copies are available in the band room.
- Once a company has agreed to purchase an ad or sponsorship, fill out the order form and obtain a signature from the company representative. The order form may also be used for Student Dedication Ads and Sponsorships.
- In one envelope labeled “Program Ad/Sponsor Sales,” please submit the order form, a check payable to “WPHS Band,” and a hard copy of the ad. The digital version of the ad should be emailed to Ana Nazarian, firstname.lastname@example.org. Include the student’s name and advertiser’s name in the subject line (i.e. re: John Smith, Acme Supplies, Inc.).
- Please submit all forms, ads, and payments by Wednesday, September 30, 2020.
- Forms are available on the Band’s website (winterparkhsband.com/band-boosters.html) for additional copies.
Questions? Contact Ana Nazarian at email@example.com or call 407-325-6167.
BAND FORMS PAST DUE - DUE MONDAY 8/24
Thank you to the many Band families that have already turned in the necessary forms linked below. If you have not completed these forms yet for your student, please complete them ASAP. ALL our Band families need to complete the forms linked below and send them into the directors.
To complete your registration with the Winter Park Band program, each Band family must complete the following forms. These forms are separate from the Google registration form that families have filled out in either the spring or summer. The forms can be located on the Band website, or by clicking on the link below, in the form of a packet PDF. There forms are included in the packet:
- Financial Obligations Form 2020/2021 *revised as of 8/12/2020*
- Band Handbook Acknowledgement Form *revised as of 8/12/2020*
- Emergency Treatment Authorization Form
- OCPS Model Release Form
The Band Handbook can be found on the Band website by clicking here.
Click these links to find the forms that must be completed:
Forms are now PAST DUE since Monday, August 24. Forms may either be printed at home, filled out, signed, and emailed back to Mr. Clemente and Mr. Smith as an attachment (PDF attachments preferred) OR turned in as a hard copy to the Band office. Hard copies of the packets will be available for pick-up in the Band office on Friday, 8/21, for students either coming to school for F2F instruction or those who do not have access to a printer at home.
If you are having a technology issue and have not yet reached out to the school about resolution, please email Mr. Steffey at Donald.Steffey@ocps.net to set up an appointment at school for your computer to be looked at. Email should be sent as soon as you read this!
As a reminder, students are considered present in their LaunchED class if they:
- Joined the call before the tardy bell.
- Have their camera on the entire class period.
- Are able to be seen, face and instrument, in the camera view.
- Participate in class from bell to bell.
Students who do not have their camera on for the duration of class, and we have not received an email from the school stating awareness of the issue and work towards it being resolved, will be marked absent.
Thank you for your work to resolve these technology issues!
To access CANVAS, students will visit launchpad.ocps.net and enter their student login information. Then, click on the CANVAS icon. Navigate to your dashboard and find your band and/or jazz class.
FINANCES & CHARMS
Past Due Band Payments
- Band Registration Fair Share - $25.00 Due 5/5
- Fair Share Payment 1 - $25.00 Due 8/19
Viewing your Student's Financial Account in Charms:
There is a direct link to Charms in "Quick Links" on the band website.
- Our school code is winterparkhsband
- The Student Area Password would be a unique password that either the student or parent have set up. (If you don't know the password it can be reset by one of the band directors).
- Once you have logged into the Student Area, click on the round, red $ symbol on the top menu bar to view your student's account
- If your student has earned Band Account Credit (in the Miscellaneous Ledger) this credit can be transferred to pay for many band fees: Fair Share, School Instrument Maintenance, Registration Fees for All-State, All-County and Solo Ensemble.
Requesting a Credit Transfer to pay for Fixed Payments Due:
- Click on the "Transfer Request" tab just below the round, red $ symbol. Select the fixed payment you would like to pay for using the credit. The request is sent to the band directors and the band booster treasurer.
- SENIORS: Please check your credit balance and use it accordingly during the year. Credit for Seniors left at the end of the year can only be transferred to siblings.
2020-2021 FINANCIAL OBLIGATIONS SCHEDULE