April 26, 2019
In this Message:
- LO Learns Community Event – April 27
- Kindergarten Registration – Deadline May 1
- District-wide SAC – May 9 (Date has been changed)
- One Time Transfer Request for Oak Creek Resident Students
- School Lunch Hero Day – May 3
- Seeking Youth Advisory Members for LO City Boards
- Register for the Bus for 2019-2020
- Robo Pizza Open House for LO Robotics Program
- Weather Emergency Communications
- Subscribe to Lake Oswego Schools App
- What's New at Community School?
LO Learns Community Events
The final LO Learns Community Event will give parents and students a chance to hear from the experts about what is happening in our schools. Please bring your neighbors and join us for hands on science engagement.
Saturday, April 27
10:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
Forest Hill Elementary
1133 Andrews Rd; LO
Program: STEM/Computer Science in the 21st Century
Guest speakers are TOSAs Larry Zurcher and Chris Hesselbein.
Kindergarten Registration – Deadline May 1
- Lottery Deadline: May 1, 2019
- Lottery Tier 1: Siblings currently attending the same resident school will be given priority and will not go into the lottery but MUST register by the May 1 deadline
- Lottery Tier 2: Age-eligible registrations received by May 1, 2019
- Lottery Tier 3: All registrations (including sibling and early admission) received after May 1, 2019, are subject to availability
- Lottery Date: May 8, 2019
- Lottery Notification Date: May 10, 2019
- Find more information go here: https://www.losdschools.org/Page/153
- For online registration go here: https://www.losdschools.org/Page/5830
District-wide SAC Meeting – May 9
Lakeridge High School in the library
1235 Overlook Drive; LO
All community members are invited to our School Advisory Committee (SAC) meeting. Please plan to join us.
One Time Transfer Request for Oak Creek Resident Students
The Superintendent has provided a one-time opportunity for Oak Creek resident students to request a permanent transfer from Oak Creek to either Lake Grove or Forest Hills. This application opportunity is available between April 18, 2019 through June 20, 2019.
The temporary guidelines for allowing transfers from Oak Creek to Forest Hills or Lake Grove:
- Applications accepted between April 18, 2019 and June 20, 2019 and processed in order of receipt (Maximum 100 students.)
- The District will provide two stops in the Oak Creek attendance area to transport students to Lake Grove and/or Forest Hills. (Kindergarten students require a parent or guardian to meet the school bus at drop-off in order for the driver to release the student.)
- Once the request has been approved for the 2019-20 school year, it does not need to be renewed annually. The approved request is valid until the student completes grades offered at that school.
School Lunch Hero Day – May 3
Celebrate Friday, May 3, 2019
Between preparing healthy meals for America’s students, adhering to strict nutrition standards, navigating student food allergies, and offering service with a smile, school nutrition professionals are true heroes.
On Friday, May 3, 2019, we will celebrate the 7th Annual School Lunch Hero Day! School Lunch Hero Day is a chance to showcase the difference school nutrition professionals make for every child who comes through the cafeteria or lunch line.
Please join us in giving a BIG thank you to all our Lake Oswego School Lunch Hero’s.
Lakeridge HS: Donna Lemieux-Brehm, Debbie Rickles, Roxanne Rivord, Rachel Mroczek, and Julynne Pang
Lake Oswego HS: Therese Samkow, Dawn Pacheco, Nicole De Santos, and Kelli Kang
Lakeridge JH: Barb Collins, Amy Freyer, Brad Rugel, and Kimberly Carmen
Lake Oswego HS: Sigrid Maier, Daysa Mansfield, Leslie Kennedy-Noble, and Hannah Qian
Forest Hills: Sheri Johnson, Bo Choi, and Nancy Sabin
Hallinan: Lydie Stone, Karen Oblack, and Julie Bernert
Lake Grove: Viviana Flores, Kiesha Bly, and Trisha Sylvester-Koss
Oak Creek: Kathleen Louge, Jen Jaffe, and Sonia Zhang; Rhoda Wollf
River Grove: Luann Ruehle and Tobi Webster
Westridge: Barbara Weijland, Lisa Qin, and Sue Burgess-Knight
Seeking Youth Advisory Members for LO City Boards
Positions are available to current Sophomores and Juniors who reside within the city limits of Lake Oswego. Terms of service are from July 1, 2019 to June 30, 2020.
Interested students should submit an application and a letter of recommendation from a faculty member from their school.
Interviews will be held on Saturday, June 8, with appointments made on July 2.
Register for the Bus for 2019-20
Registration is now open for bus transportation for the 2019-20 school year.
Please complete the registration form with as much detail as possible. This will help us create our routing schedule for the 2019-20 school year. Call the Transportation Department at 503-387-5078 with questions. Please note that this request does not guarantee transportation. Restrictions apply to students that are open enrolled or who live within the walk zone. Bus Registration Deadline is August 1, 2019.
Robo Pizza Open House for LO Robotics Programs
Wednesday, May 1 from 6:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Lakeridge High School, Room F28 in the lower F-wing
Are you interested in engineering? Thinking about joining a robotics team?
Join us at a robotics open house sponsored by the Lake Monsters Robotics team to sign up for the 2019-2020 season.
All Lake Oswego High School and Lakeridge High School students are invited to:
· Drive a robot
· See how heavy machinery works
· Learn how to program a robot
· Make an electrical circuit
· Find out how to join the robotics team
· Eat free pizza
Questions? Email email@example.com. See you there!
Weather Emergency Communications
If parents are ever concerned about a student’s well-being, feel free to reach out to your principal. It is important to keep your lines of communication open and maintain strong partnerships between students, families, staff, and other resources.
SafeOregon also is an effective way to report a tip regarding safety threats or potential acts of violence to our students or schools.
(Students should also know that intentionally providing a false report is a serious offense.)
What's New at Community School?
The LOSD Community School offers enrichment and athletic programs, and activities for students of all ages including robotics, STEM, arts, language, and theater.
You are receiving this message because you are the parent or guardian of a student in the Lake Oswego School District.
We hope you will assist us in our efforts to communicate efficiently and economically by continuing to receive these messages.
If you believe you have received this communication in error, or if you no longer wish to receive email communications from your school and the district, please contact:
Christine Moses, Communications Director at Christine.Moses@loswego.k12.or.us