Fearless in Fifth
Indian Creek 5th Grade Newsletter: Week of January 4th
Teacher Copy Room NEED!
Indian Creek Teachers :)
Link to Volunteer Spot: http://vols.pt/XugV4d
"Problems with Warnings"
How do we teach kids to be safe in a dangerous world?
Let's consider two different parents.
Jan's parents love her dearly. As a result, they are careful to be caring and consistent. When Jan misbehaves, they warn her of the consequences.
Because they love her and want to be fair, they provide another warning when she continues to misbehave. Since they know it's important to hold kids accountable, Jan's parents eventually provide a logical consequence when she ignores their warnings.
Mary's parents love her dearly. As a result, they are careful to be caring and consistent. When Mary misbehaves, they ask her to stop. If she continues to misbehave, they provide a consequence without additional warnings.
Jan believes that cause-and-effect doesn't become a reality until she has made two or three bad decisions.
Mary has learned that cause-and-effect becomes a reality after only one bad decision.
Repeated warnings create kids who may not survive in a dangerous world. That's why Love and Logic parents don't give them.
In my book, Parenting for Success, I share a variety of ways to give kids the gift of self-reliance. The first step involves making certain that they are learning along with you as you face life's daily challenges.
Thanks for reading! Our goal is to help as many families as possible. If this is a benefit, forward it to a friend.
Dr. Charles Fay
Indian Creek PTA!
What We Are Learning this Week:
- Monday we will review Topic 7: Adding and Subtracting Fractions and Tuesday will be the assessment. The rest of the week will be devoted to our Geobread House Project.
- Please remember to send in the supplies for the Geobread, aka, gingerbread houses asap. Thank you for helping us make learning fun!
- We will begin our unit on biographies and autobiographies. The students will learn about the different elements of a biography and will then create their own digital biographies (in iBook Author) about a person from US history. The students will also be taken through the research process.
- We will continue our unit on homophones and other commonly misspelled words. The words we are focusing on using and spelling correctly right now are: to, too and two.
- The student is expected to design an experiment that tests the effect of force on an object.
- Mrs. Brown's class will be studying light energy.
- We will continue our unit on Comparing the Colonies. Students will learn about the thirteen colonies and the regions they were in . The focus question we will use throughout this unit is, "How were the three colonial regions alike and different?" Students will also create a billboard advertisement to try and get others to come to their assigned colony.
Tutoring! - no tutoring the week of December 14
Please contact the appropriate teacher to let us know if your child is staying to attend tutoring.
Tutoring is after school and ends at 3:35pm. Please pick up your child at the front of the building promptly at 3:35.
Monday - Math (Mrs. Purvis & Mrs. Vitosh)
Tuesday - Reading (Mrs. Brown, Ms. Horne, & Mrs. Legg)
Wednesday - Any Subject (all teachers, Ms. Legg will have writing tutoring)
Resources to Use:
Math:Access the math textbooks online by first going to www.lisd.net.
Go to the "Resources" tab and click on "for Students."
Once there, click on "Digital Resources."
On the right side of the page is a button that says "Pearson Realize."
The log-in is the same as your student's district log-in.
The Social Studies Alive curriculum is entirely online. Here is how your student can access the information from home:
website: www.teachtci.com (and select 'student')
username: last name, 1st initial
password: ID # (numbers only)
Mrs. Brown - @MrsBrowngrade5
Mrs. Horne - @fearlessin5th
Ms. Legg - @leggn1
Mrs. Purvis - @fifthisfun
Mrs. Vitosh - @AmyVitosh
Fifth Grade Team - @5thicefalcons
Indian Creek - @IndianCreekES