DES Dolphin News
Keeping You Updated!
I hope this message finds you well and enjoying the summer days; it certainly has been a hot one this year! Please continue to enjoy your summer activities. I know that many of you have questions about the upcoming school year.
This week, at the August Board of Education meeting there were several important decisions made, and each one has been included in this newsletter with the appropriate links provided for your convenience. Please review these and reach out to Mr. Breedlove or me with any questions.
- The CCPS Parent Questionnaire - This is crucial to the beginning of the school year and having devices available for all CCPS students. Please fill this out ONCE for each child in your household. Details about this important questionnaire are below this message.
- The summary of the CCPS Back to School Recovery Plan includes information on how CCPS will begin this school year virtually, and information on our phases, sample schedules, and more.
- The final amended 2020-2021 school calendar is included. There have been several important changes which have been detailed below.
I know that many of us are anxious about the return to school. The Recovery Plan Summary has excellent information that may help you understand the process for opening and I encourage you to review this to see when and how school will open. Here are a few key points to know:
• Students will be online with teachers Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday; this is called synchronous learning;
• On Wednesday, students will be working on teacher directed assignments individually; this is called asynchronous learning;
• A schedule will be followed just like in-person learning;
• Attendance will taken each day;
• CCPS curriculum will be taught with some materials coming home (novels, Fundations materials).
As more information is made available, I will share it with you as soon as possible.
Please help us get you the most updated information by sharing your correct contact information. If you change phones or email addresses, please share that with us as soon as possible.
Watch for more information shortly regarding your child's teacher/teacher team, supplies needed for virtual learning, and the DES Parent Compact. We will also be sharing dates for technology pick-up once they have been determined.
As always, please reach out to Mr. Breedlove or me if you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy the remainder of August!
Blessings to you and your family,
Susan R. McCandless
Proud Principal of Denton Elementary
Final 2020-2021 School Calendar
At the August meeting, the Board of Education amended the 2020-2021 school year calendar to reflect the following changes:
- First day for new teachers – August 24
- First day for returning teachers – August 27
- First day of school (distance learning) for students – September 8
In making the recommendation to amend the calendar, Superintendent Patty Saelens explained that staff would be using the added time to prepare for distance learning, particularly in the areas of professional development and technology distribution.
Please use this calendar as there are changes during the month of September.
Important Parent Questionnaire
CCPS is gathering information on student's technology needs. Please click on:
and complete one questionnaire for each student. Spanish and Haitian Creole translations are available also.
It is extremely important that we have a completed form for each student at DES as soon as possible so that we can plan for the appropriate technology devices needed. Please contact Mr. Breedlove or me if you have any questions. Thank you for your help as we prepare for the 2020-2021 school year.
DES is a School-Wide Title I School!
Vision of Excellence:
The Denton Elementary School Family will promote our core values of SWIM by supporting a challenging curriculum, honoring individuality, and working collaboratively.
S: Stay Safe
W: Work Hard
I: Include Everyone
M: Make Responsible Choices