- The constitution provides that senators must be at least 30 years old.
- Legal residents of the state they represent.
Term of Office
- 6 years terms.
- Every 2 years a 3rd of the senators run for relections.
Salary & Benefits
- - In 1789 salaries for both houses were $6 per day.
- Congress had voted itself periodic salary increases.
- In addition to their salaries, memebers of congress enjoy a number of benefits and resources for conducting official business.
Privileges & Benefits
- The constitution provides memebers of congress certain privileges to protect them while carrying out their legislative duties.