Halters, Bridles and Bits

By: Jessica Ballard


Big image

Leather halters

Most people will send their horse out to the field with a leather halter. If the horse gets stuck the leather halter will easily break. It also looks very good on horses and you can add a name plate.
Big image

Nylon halters

You can still send your house out in the field but some people have a concern that the horse may be stuck. The nylon halter will not break loos some some people keep away from it. You get to add a pop of color to your horse.
Big image

Rope halters

You are still able to send your horse out in the field. The rope halter will still come off but may have some trouble. Its still fashionable for you.
Big image


Western bridle

A western bridle would be used for western riding. They come in a variety of types. One thing about western bridles is the they don't have a noseband like english bridle. They also just use one bit and one set or reins.

English bridle

English bridles are used for english riding.

A snaffle bridle is the most commonly used english bridle. Its started in young horses that trail ride. It works from the pressure of the bit as it applies to the corners of the horses mouth, lips, tongue and palate. The nose band keeps the horses jaw aligned and prevents the horse from opening its mouth to avoid the bit.

A weymouth bridle is also called a double bridle. This bridle can be spotted on horses training in the upper levels of dressage. This bridle has two bits a weymouth, or curb, bit and a bradoon and also two sets of reins.

A pelham bridle is often used for schooling and general riding. This bridle somewhat mimics the action of the bridoon and weymouth bit combination used on a double bridle. May be used when the horse cannot hold the two bits comfortably.


Big image

Snaffle bit

A snaffle bit is one of the most universally used bits. This bit has a join in the middle that breaks it up. This bit can come with many different styles Dee ring, O-ring, full cheek, and eggbutt.
Big image

Curb bit

Curb bits are suited for a more mature horses. They were primarily used for cowboys who needed one hand free roping. They generally have a solid mouthpiece instead of a joined mouthpiece.
Big image

Kimberwicke bit

They can have a straight mouthpiece or a jointed mouthpiece. This bit should always be used with a curb strap. Has D shaped rings on the side. This bit is used in general riding. It can not be used in hunters or dressage events.
Big image

Pelham bit

This bit is used for schooling and general riding. Can have a solid or jointed mouthpiece. There is a larger ring attached to the mouthpiece that the snaffle reigns attach too. Pelham bits are usually seen on field hunters, on eventers, hunter classes and in stadium jumping.
Big image

Weymouth bit

The weymouth bit is an english leverage bit. It has a curb bit of the double bridle used in saddle seat riding in upper level dressage horses. It looks similar to the pelham bit. This bit is adjusted slightly lower in the mouth.
Big image

Hackamore bit

This is no bit it is just a bridle but it used a loose padded noseband and the reigns attached at the bottom. That is known as a boast. It can be very complicated to use because it has not actual bit.
Big image