- Settlers spread Christianity by missionaries.
- Joseph Smith founded the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day and also had followers named Mormons. The church grew quickly through missionaries.
- American Indians aided settlers on their journey to the west.
- Lands of Oregon and other westward states offered good farm lands, great forests, rivers full of fish, and a good climate.
- California's Gold Rush boosted the economy by increase in money and population.
- Winning the Mexican War and expanding westward.
- California's Gold Rush also increased money and population.