The Family Zone
Lectionary-Based Playlist /Issue 47/February 21, 2021
"This is the sign that I am giving for all ages to come, of the covenant between me and you"
Journeying with St. Joseph
…behold, the angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, “Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary your wife into your home…”
The fact that Joseph was visited by an angel and given a message shows the important role he plays in Salvation History. In the Jewish tradition (which Matthew would have been raised in) a message from an angel puts Joseph in a league with Daniel, Jacob, Abraham, and Moses among other prophets and leaders.
- The Monks' Daily Bread by Silvia Dorham
- On Noah's Ark by Jan Brett
- Goodnight Ark by Laura Sassy
- "Forty Lenten Ideas" by Janet Schaeffler, OP
- The Most Important Relationship: https://www.relevantmagazine.com/faith/relationship-god-defines/
- The Story of God's Love for You by Sally Lloyd Jones
- Olivia and the Little Way by Nancy Carabio Belanger
- The short film below talks about trusting in God during sorrow and struggle. Brandi looks at losses in her life and how they helped her eventually FIND God.
- Have you ever made a promise to someone? Was it hard or easy to keep? Write about it!
- Create a family covenant for Lent. Decide on some promises you will make to God and one another to be faithful to the season
- What do you think it was like for Noah and his family on the Ark? Place yourself in the story and write a creative retelling of the family's many days at sea
Curious about what the ark was like? This short video brings our imaginations to life in following the Biblical detail
- Have you ever wished for the rain to go away? Well this week, lets watch the rain while we play! Follow the instructions below on how to make it rain in a glass jar! https://www.sciencefun.org/kidszone/experiments/make-it-rain/
- Make a Noah's Ark sensory bin for your preschooler: http://talesofbeautyforashes.com/2015/02/noahs-ark-sensory-bin-with-animal-crackers/
- Gather up some animal stickers or stamps and make your own matching concentration game! It is a rainy day project that keeps giving as a game! Find Noah's matching animal pairs!
- This week, lets create in the kitchen! Cook, bake or make one of these fun animal themed treats! https://www.pinterest.com/baker1547/cooking-kids-pet-themed-food/
- Enjoy some fun "rainbow" themed painting projects for older kids that use all the colors with the free watercolor templates: https://www.josielewis.com/acrylic
Wonder with St. Joseph
This one was tough! My boy left everything behind and struck out on his own. I knew he would be okay, but I was scared. He was tempted by the devil and had wild animals all around. Praise Yahweh that the angels came to his side. I know I am not the only parent to experience this, nor was Jesus the only son to leave home, but it was tough. Your parents know what I’m talking about. Talk to them about what it’s like.
Parents – Do you have children that have moved out? If not, what do you think it will be like? How do you think you will react? Imagine when Jesus lived how tough it must have been without cell phones to just call your children!
Children – What do you think it would be like to have angels serve you? Do you think Mary and Joseph knew where Jesus went?