Eastside: The Greatest School
"No one ever made a difference by being like everyone else."
Week of January 21st
Eastside Mission & Vision
Working in partnership with the community, Eastside Elementary will provide all students:
A collaborative team of professionals who are committed to improve their practices, so that all students learn at high levels
A safe, positive, and inviting learning environment
An engaging and challenging curriculum focused on essential academics and life skills
Individualized and timely support that provides students with what they need to succeed
Ms. Franklin Ringleader of the Week & Big Top Team of the Week goes to 2nd grade
Are we ready for our GREATEST SHOW at The Greatest School?
Testing days at Eastside will be our GREATEST SHOW! We will have no regrets when this day arrives! Our students will be ready and able to deliver!
It's getting close to show time. K-2 you have 8 weeks or roughly 35 days until your GREATEST SHOW (aka testing) begins! 3-5 you have 12 weeks or roughly 55 days until your GREATEST SHOW begins! We must make each day count! I need you to give it all you got! Keep going! Ladies and Gents this is the moment you've waited for... Let's Go!
(Watch the video to get fired up! Remember the excitement we all had this summer!)
By the way, I wanted to let you all know that on ACT Aspire Interim 2 we grew 83% when you look at growth from interim 1 to interim 2 on all four test combined! We will look at this more in detail later. This is HUGE!!!! I'm so proud of all of you! Keep going and growing!!! I'm calculating the grade with the most growth and will announce it in the morning.
Jigsaw Method in Ms. Franklin's Room
6 minute video on The Jigsaw Method (Hattie says it will give 4 years of growth in 1 year)
Details for the Week
Mrs. Hellar is on campus to work with 2nd grade teachers and 4th and 5th literacy teachers. She also plans to walk through and see PROWL!
Report Cards go home
- Mrs. Bailey will be on campus to work with teams. We will meet as a content teams.
- Fire drill (if weather cooperates)
- SIT meets
- The 100th Day of School (Kinder will be celebrating this special day!)
- Our attire for every Friday is jeans (with no holes) and panther shirts. If you are not dressed appropriately, you will be asked to go home and change.
- FRIDAY PROWL schedule: MAP PM for 2-3, Relationship building for 4-5. Normal PROWL for K-1. (refer to doc I sent out for Fridays up to Feb 8th)
- Recess meetings to view word study video, discuss data and individual students
- Dismissed from cafeteria and PE building at 7:45. Mrs. Turner and Ms. Newkirk will remind kids to wait in the hall. Promptly, at 7:50 teachers will come out from their room to greet them and then get started on the work!
- Order of your PROWL group - HOWL and get to intervening and enriching. Remember this is what Panthers do to Thrive and Survive! We can't live without it. This is the beginning of our day!
- Dismissal for PROWL: We will dismiss all enrichment groups to their classes at 8:18. These students are to wait outside their classroom door until 8:20 when the intervention groups are dismissed.
- PROWL preparation: Make sure you have reviewed your lesson in advance, so the kids are getting the best benefit from the PROWL time. Teachers should not be walking across the hall to get clarity on a lesson or gather materials during PROWL time (leaving kids unattended). If you have questions about your PROWL lessons, let Mrs. Manning or myself know and we would love to help you. Make sure to always leave sub plans for your PROWL group. (Now that each kid is assigned a specific spot with certain materials, there is no where to send them.)
- Important News:
- Room Environment: Take a look around your room with student eyes. Some of you need to declutter your room. Make sure you have student work posted in classroom and in hallway!
- Staff attendance incentive for the month of January, February and until Spring Break: The PTO will be donating 3 $100 bills for a drawing for staff with Great Attendance. If you have had perfect attendance (not counting PD), you will get three chances to win. If you have missed 1 day (not counting PD), you will get two chances to win. If you have missed 2 days (not counting PD), you will one chance to win. We will draw prior to leaving for Spring Break. Thank you PTO!
- If you have a planned leave request then the leave request form MUST be filled out and turned in for approval PRIOR to the leave date. Late leave request such as emergency sick days need a leave request turned in immediately after you return.
- Certified teachers - it is your responsibility to track your teaching license renewal dates. ADE (or central office) will not notify teachers of expiration dates. There have been several teachers in the district that have had their license to lapse or become pending.
- Way to go Mrs. Franklin for using the Jigsaw method! Follow link to see an example of using the Jigsaw method. Remember the Jigsaw method will give you 4 years of growth in one year (according to Hattie with an effect size of 1.20)! https://system.na1.netsuite.com/core/media/media.nl?id=37151&c=713075&h=af6623bb152644627d6a
If you are a support staff member and you have a sub, please place on your sub plans about going down to the classrooms during intervention time to support the teachers. The subs will not leave the classroom they are assisting with students.
We will have special visitors with us on February 1st from Greenwood School District. They want to tour our school and hear about the Solution Tree Pilot. They are in cohort 2 of the PLC Pilot and are curious about our growth. They will be with us from 8:30 - 10:00.
SIT commenting this week with any staff member working with K-2. Make sure to place the date in the date column. Then place your name in front of your comment in the teacher comment column.
Required testing training has been scheduled. These sessions will be a Google hangout. One will be after school on March 26th and one before school on March 28th. All certified staff administering ACT Aspire or MAP assessments to students need to choose one of these sessions to attend. Accommodation training will take place on April 4th.
AMI assignments: 3rd-5th will upload to google classroom if we have an AMI day. I will always instruct when to send packets home for those students who do not have internet access. Make sure you have updated the spreadsheet (18-19 Snow Day list) Mrs. Manning sent out with student names that will need packets.
Enter lunch counts by 9:00 am. The quicker your attendance is in the faster Mrs. Sherri can start calling absent kids and hopefully get them up to school.
Classroom doors should remain locked throughout the day.
Please make sure to have lesson plans out on your desk and reading lesson plans on your reading table each day. Your reading plans need to be a week's worth of complete plans that are ready on your first day of instruction. We understand that you may adjust things, but the plans must be thoroughly thought out for the week prior to the week starting.
Several Greenbrier Admin observed Mrs. Isom for GLR. She did a great job!
I enjoyed reading The Snowy Day to kinder!
Computer Science Word of the Month: BUG/DEBUGGING
Character Word of the Month: Engaged
Important Dates (Refer to our EES 2018- 2019 Year at a Glance Calendar in Google Drive)
Jan 29 - Dr. Howse on campus to work with math team
Jan 30 - Class Pictures
Jan 31 - EES Leadership Team meets 7:40 - 8:20 AM
Feb 1 - Greenwood District visits from 8:30 - 10:00
Feb 4 - Lil' Dribblers at 7:00 PM
Feb 8 - Spirit Day for Jan/Feb
Feb 12 - Progress Reports/Parent-Teacher Conferences - Dismiss at 1:30
Feb 14-15 Coach Bailey will be with us
Feb 18 - President's Day/No School
March 18-22 SPRING BREAK
March 26 - April 5 State MAP Testing K-2
April 22 - 24 ACT Aspire Summative Testing 3-5