Weddington Middle School Newsletter
June 5, 2020
A note from the principal:
If all goes as planned, this very well could be our parting message for the bizarre 19-20 school year! We’ve learned a lot about life and adapting to unforeseen circumstances, and I’d like to think lessons here will serve us all well during opportune times in our future.
With “PC-19” as our designation for successful course completion this year, we will NOT be providing traditional report cards this year. Instead, we will mail UCPS Feedback Forms to relay student progress. Expect those by US Mail during the latter part of next week.
On June 15, UCPS will begin summer hours. Weddington Middle School will be open Monday through Thursday from 8am until 3pm. The school will be closed to the public on Fridays. If you still have items at the school to collect, you can begin doing so on Monday, June 15. Contact us beforehand and we’ll try to have your things waiting on you.
On Tuesday, June 9, we invite our 8th graders back to the middle school car loop for perhaps their final time. June 9 was Promotion Day, and it’s still the day after which you become 9th graders! We have readied any personal items you left in your lockers, your promotion certificates and small souvenirs, and we’ll include your UCPS Feedback Form along with these other belongings on Tuesday. We invite our 8th graders and their families to view our virtual promotion recognition, available on the 8th grade Canvas page at 9am on June 9.
Mateials will be available during the scheduled homeroom times: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1OV6RpD9_imsNajXDZqxz6pH5tuB8YmlmLCDeNE_YSHg/edit#gid=39847658
It has been a year for the ages, and if you and your loved ones are safe and healthy come August, we should consider that a blessing! During the summer, we’ll fine tune our remote learning efforts and prepare for some planned virtual instruction next year. Our UCPS BOE has approved a new school calendar for next year, and I share that with you here: https://www.ucps.k12.nc.us/cms/lib/NC01910453/Centricity/Domain/4/2020-2021%20Revised%20Traditional%20School%20CalendarV2.pdf.
On August 17, we’ll try it all again, and we have a couple days still to complete this one. It’s a pleasure to serve this community, and we appreciate your support of our school. I congratulate our 461 8th graders on their upcoming promotion to high school, and I wish all of our stakeholders a safe and splendid summer! Happy Friday Weddington, and enjoy your weekend.
We're dreaming...of fall sports!
UCPS received additional Hotspots for this summer; this will be very important as the students are able to keep chromebooks. These Hotspots will be offered to students that complete a survey that will be provided to them on Monday.
The WMS PTSO shop is now open!
All summer uniform orders placed by July 25, 2020 will be available for pick up prior to the beginning of the 2020-21 academic school year.
Congratulations to this year's Principal and Superintendent Award Winners!
With the end of the school year quickly approaching, we would like to inform you that the School Social Worker and the Behavioral Health Therapist will be available throughout the entire summer (office hours will be Monday-Friday 7:30am-3:30pm). Therapeutic services will continue with current students and schedules will be arranged with the therapist. School Social Worker will be available to assist with resources, school information, etc.
If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact us.
We can be reached at:
Joseph Walker, Behavioral Health Therapist
Stacey Lopez, School Social Worker
We look forward to seeing you this summer!!! J
More important than ever...
Calling all interested VIRTUAL CAREER DAY volunteers.
- A brief history/background of yourself that led to your current career or job
- Description and responsibilities of your career/occupation
- Education/training required – (please emphasize the importance of life-long learning)
- Skills needed, i.e. good communication skills, hand-eye coordination, etc.
- Positive and negative aspects of your career/occupation (e.g., you like working outdoors)
- Salary range/pay (and benefits, as applicable)
- Any extracurricular activities in school and how they may have helped you.
Please email us your video files to Ashley.firstname.lastname@example.org. If your file size is too large, email us and we can figure out the easiest way for your to share it with us! Thanks for your help!
End of the Year Grading Information
Please note that some carriers, including Verizon, do not support Canvas.
These can be scary, trying times for students.
The counselors will also provide daily email office hours:
Monday 9-11 & 11-1
Please read below to make sure your student is ready for digital learning
1. As many of you know, Canvas is the primary learning management system at Weddington Middle School and will be used in the weeks ahead in our efforts with online teaching-and-learning. When we begin to provide students with online learning opportunities, it will be extremely helpful and informative for parents to be Canvas course observers. This will allow a parent to stay updated on what kinds of things are happening with the courses that his/her child is taking. Directions on setting up your account can be found here.
There are now general grade-level and related arts Canvas pages for students to use for discussion, counselor connections and general activity ideas.
- Login to your Canvas Account
- Click "Account" (on left side of screen)
- Click "Notifications" (Under your Profile)
- Click "Notifications Preferences" (on far Right)
- For any category you want immediate email notification, click the check mark (when it’s a GREEN box it is ON)
Suggested categories to check: