Who Was Involved ?
- The Freedom Bureau Was popularly , and was established in 1865 by the Congress to help out the black slaves and bad off whites in the South in the U.S. Civil War .
- 4 million slaves earned their freedom as a result of the victory in the war which was left many places in ruins and destroyed the South’s plantation.
- The Freedmen’s Bureau provided food and housing , established schools and offered legal assistance.
When Was The freedom's Bureau Occurred ?
- In 1865 President Abraham Lincoln signs a bill of the bureau Refugees and Freedom .
- This Federal Agency Oversaw the Difficult of the slavery to Freedom.
- Although they did not provide long term protection for blacks .
Where Was the Freedom Bureau Occurred ?
- The Freedmen's Bureau was created in 1865 .
- It was passed on in 1865
- they provided the slaves with food and housing, oversight, education, health care, and employment contracts with private landowners.
"The Day Freedom Died: The Colfax Massacre, the Supreme Court, and the Betrayal of Reconstruction," By Charles Lane
The Colfax massacre
Transatlantic Slave Trade
Why Did the Freedom bureau Occurred ?
- The Freedmon Bureau Bill was established in March 1865 and was made by President Abraham Lincoln and was intended to last for one year after the end of the Civil War.
- The Freedmen's Bureau was an important agency of the early Reconstruction assisting freedmen in the South.
- The Bureau was part of the United States Department of War.
DID YOU KNOW ??????
Howard University, a historically all-black school in Washington, D.C., was established in 1867 and named for Oliver Howard, one of its founders and the head of the Freedmen’s Bureau. He served as the university's president from 1869 to 1874.