School Nutrition Weekly Newsletter
January 23, 2020
Updates and Reminders
Direct Certification (DC) Updates
- The January DC data is available to download in the STN Application Center.
- For those without the Effective Date Waiver, any new eligibility matches identified in the DC system can be applied beginning January 1.
- For those with the Effective Date Waiver, you will begin applying benefits beginning the date the DC download or DC Lookup says the student was first eligible.
- For more information about the Effective Date Waiver, click here.
- Questions? Contact DC specialists using the new DC Help Form.
Updating the CNPweb
- Reminder! Sponsors are to keep the CNPweb updated with correct program information, including contacts and program operations.
- Any program update should be revised in the CNPweb as soon as possible.
- If sponsors will be operating the School Breakfast Program or the After School Snack Program (ASSP) just for ILEARN, all data must be updated and approved before the programs are implemented. If the CNPweb is not updated prior, it is possible for reimbursements to be denied, per IDOE policy.
- Questions about the CNPweb? Contact Ashley Heller at email@example.com.
- Questions about breakfast or ASSP? Contact your field specialist.
inTEAM Regional Course Completion Challenge
- IDOE with the partnership of inTEAM and the Indiana School Nutrition Association (ISNA) are gearing up for a regional course completion challenge!
- Even if you are not a member of ISNA, all school districts are able to participate.
- The region with the highest number of staff completing courses in the month of February will get recognized by IDOE and ISNA. Click here to see your region.
- While each district only has one login, all courses can be displayed via projector or other sharing system for viewing by multiple staff members. Each course also contains a folder with printable course materials and post-tests to offer other options for training staff with only a single login.
- School districts will submit the number of staff completing inTEAM courses for the month of February.
- Click here to access the course completion sheet.
- Feel free to fill out the form after each training or wait and submit the form at the end of the month with a total of all the training sessions viewed for the whole district by Friday, March 6.
- Winners will be announced in early April.
- Click here to access inTEAM and here for a flyer with more information on inTEAM, including courses available.
- Click here for a tutorial on how to use inTEAM.
- Questions? Contact Sarah Kenworthy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
New to You!
Nutrition News Bites Webinar
- IDOE will be hosting its first Nutrition News Bites Webinar next Wednesday, January 29 at 3 p.m.
- This webinar will be hosted on the last Wednesday of every month.
- It will cover important reminders, updates, and news from IDOE and USDA for the upcoming month.
- This webinar will last approximately 15 minutes, with the last five minutes being open to live questions from those attending the webinar.
- Click here to register for this webinar.
- Questions? Ashley Heller at email@example.com.
National School Breakfast Week 2020
National School Breakfast Week (NSBW) is March 2-6 and will be here before you know it!
The 2020 NSBW theme is “School Breakfast: Out of this World."
The School Nutrition Association (SNA) NSBW 2020 toolkit has over 14 pages of resources and ideas to execute a successful week at your school. SNA also has activity sheets for students for the week!
Need a Facebook cover photo? A picture for an Instagram post? A NSBW infographic? Find all of this and more on the PR and Marketing Resources page.
Click here to access SNA's toolkit and PR and marketing resources for free.
No Kid Hungry - Breakfast Grant
- Schools implementing or preparing to implement a breakfast after the bell delivery model are eligible for a new grant from No Kid Hungry.
- Approved alternative breakfast delivery methods include: breakfast in the classroom; grab and go, served at the start of the day; second chance breakfast, served grab and go style to the classroom; and second chance breakfast, eaten in the cafeteria.
- Grant funds may be used towards equipment purchases, such as carts or insulated bags; supplies, such as trash cans and bags; and technology, such as point of sale (POS) machines.
- Individual schools may apply for up to $5,000.
- Click here for more information and to apply.
- Applications are due Wednesday, February 26.
- Questions? Contact Tarrah Westercamp at firstname.lastname@example.org
American Dairy Association Indiana (ADAI) School Food Service Newsletter
- The ADAI has released their first school food service newsletter.
- Learn new recipes, upcoming projects, school nutrition trends, and more!
- Also included in this newsletter is information about Dairy Dollars Grants, which sponsors can apply for to help secure new equipment for their schools.
- Click here to access the newsletter.
- Questions? Contact Michelle Plummer at Plummer@winnersdrinksmilk.com.
- The annual pre-order survey is now open!
- The pre-order survey can be found in the FDP area (green puzzle piece) on the CNPweb.
- The survey will close on Friday, February 28.
- The annual pre-order survey is the time for schools to make all requests for brown box and bulk processed USDA Foods for the 2020-2021 school year.
- Please remember that all bulk processors must be procured prior to completing the survey.
- Once the survey is closed it CANNOT be reopened, so please be mindful of the deadline.
- Questions? Contact Cheryl Moore at email@example.com.
Lamb Weston Update
- Bulk processor, Lamb Weston, is exiting the food distribution program and will no longer process bulk white or sweet potatoes.
- All Lamb Weston balances must be at zero by Sunday, May 31.
- Questions? Contact Cheryl Moore at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding this newsletter, please contact Allie Caito-Sipe at email@example.com, call (317) 232-0849, or toll-free at 1-800-537-1142 ext. 20849, or contact Ashley Heller at firstname.lastname@example.org, call (317) 232-0544, or toll-free at 1-800-537-1142 ext. 20544.
Miss a Weekly School Nutrition Newsletter? Click here to access previous newsletters!
Was the newsletter forwarded to you? Want to add other employees to receive the newsletter? Click here to be added to the contact list.