Bowtie and Scarf Cause
Tie One On for the Cause
This Week's Cause: Leukemia and Lymphoma Society
Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, Since 1949, LLS has been dedicated to curing leukemia, lymphoma and myeloma.
The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS) is the world's largest voluntary (nonprofit) health organization dedicated to funding blood cancer research and providing education and patient services.
Contributions can be made in the office of the Vice President for Student Services (110).
Facts and Statistics
- Approximately every 3 minutes one person in the United States (US) is diagnosed with a blood cancer.
- An estimated combined total of 162,020 people in the US are expected to be diagnosed with leukemia, lymphoma or myeloma in 2015.
- Approximately every 9 minutes, someone in the US dies from a blood cancer. This statistic represents nearly 155 people each day or more than six people every hour.
- Leukemia, lymphoma and myeloma are expected to cause the deaths of an estimated 56,630 people in the US in 2015.
- These diseases are expected to account for 9.6 percent of the deaths from cancer in 2015, based on the estimated total of 589,430 cancer deaths.