The Bay Islands of Honduras
*The following can be a tour for any number of people. The information provided is only for one person, but if you are traveling with a friend of family, just multiply the amount of money listed for each activity by the amount of people coming on the trip.
**This itinerary is for people living in the tri-state area.
- Taking off from the New York LaGuardia Airport (LGA), there will be a connecting flight from Houston George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH) to Coxen Hole Juan Manuel Galvez International Airport (RTB).
- This will take a total of at least 8 hours and 15 minutes.
- The cost will be $628. Although, this is a good deal because the cost includes a return trip.
- Make sure you have a valid passport. Check the expiration date!
- The currency in Honduras is the Honduran Lempira. At the Coxen Hole airport, make sure you change your dollars into this currency. The good news is that the exchange rate is 1 to 22.59. This means that for every dollar you receive 22.59 Honduran Lempiras.
- It would be wise to have a daily allowance of about $75 or 1694.25 Lempiras with you at all times in case of emergencies.
- Be sure to bring a camera!
Landing in Bay Islands:
- After landing at RTB, there would be a taxi to go to the Barefoot Cay Resort.
- It is a 10 minute drive.
Barefoot Cay Resort
Some amenities that are included:
- Private beach with lounge chairs
- Covered deck with a table and chairs
- Gourmet kitchen fully stocked with different tools and machines
- Living room
- Air Conditioning
- 32" flat screen TV
- Apple TV with Netflix
- High-speed internet
- Programmable safe
For seven days, the villa will cost $4,530.
In addition to that, this resort also offers the option of a meal. For just an additional $270, you can get a meal with your choice of drink three times a day. Although we will include an alternate plan for eating at your stay in the Bay Islands, this is one option to consider.
- Vintage Pearl Restaurant and Wine Cellar- known for its amazing seafood and wines from 50 different countries
- Argentinian Grill- this steak house is known for its grilled meats served fresh off of its charcoal grill
- Bite on the Beach- has a beautiful oceanfront view as well as a variety of seafood
- Beach Club San Simon- this restaurant is placed in an amazing garden in a high-end private beach club
- Blue Parrot Bar and Restaurant- this shop is known for the local, exotic dishes that they serve
Although there are many more, these are the most top rated restaurants in Roatan and the ones the we recommend that you go to.
*Because none of the websites for these restaurants have any information on pricing, no costs are included.*
Day 2 - Carambola Botanical Gardens
On Day 2, you will visit Carambola Botanical Garden. Known for its several different types of orchids. Not only will you find plants, but plenty of iguanas and a beautiful view of the island of Roatan if you climb the longest trail.
It is a 24 minute drive from the resort.
Day 3 - Gumbalimba Park
Day 4 - Maya Key
If you wish, you can visit this attraction for two days because there is a lot of things to do. But just in case, we have included another activity for Day 5.
Maya Key is just 16 minutes from Barefoot Cay Resort.
Day 5 - Roatan Butterfly Garden
Day 6 - Stanley Submarine
The cost will be $500 for 1 and 1/2 hours going to a depth of 1,000 feet.
- Other attractions that you may consider visiting:
- Roatan Museum
- Roatan Institute for Marine Sciences
- Parrot Tree Plantation
- For each and everyone of these attractions, tour guides are available if you wish to have them. All tour guides will be bilingual. The tour guide company that we will be using is Roatan Christopher Tours. Phone number: 011-504-3323-3018, Email: ChristopherAlonzo31@yahoo.com
- Travelers are not going to interact with the locals a lot because the places listed here are mostly tourist attractions and not places where the local residents off the island may come to and visit. In fact, there are not many local residents because most of them own some sort of resort or other business.
- This itinerary is better than other because we do not restrict the traveler to do something on a certain date. For most of the activities listed on this itinerary, except for the submarine ride, you do not need any prior booking. Because of this, if you wish to do something earlier you may do so. Also, if you do not want to go to one of the attractions listed, we have provided you with a list of other places that you can visit. In short, this itinerary is very flexible which is good for a vacation.