Band Camp 2017
Dear Parents and Students,
On behalf of the current band members, I would like to extend a very special welcome to our new band members, the class of 2021 and their parents. I look forward to meeting you and I know you will have a great time in band in the coming year. I am always proud of the bands’ performances, but I am most proud of the manner in which the band students present themselves. They are fun loving, hardworking, and dedicated young adults. Enclosed with this letter you will find vital information band for 2017-2018.
We respect your decision to choose. Please respect the band and help us better prepare for our new season by letting us know your intentions.
If you are dropping band, please confirm that by email to VHenson@elwood.k12.ny.us or leave a message on my cell phone at 516-376-1005.
ONLINE REGISTRATION DUE APRIL 21ST!
- Field positions will be determined based on the number of students who completed forms by this date.
- Students who do not complete forms by April 21st will be moved to an alternate line for our drill design.
We are at a serious disadvantage when students do not return their forms as planning choreography, marching drill design and percussion instrument assignment are incomplete. Forms should be completed even if you are not available for band camp.
Medical Forms postmarked by August 1st
- Please remember to return the forms whether you are attending camp or not. These forms are kept all year for all of our travel and events.
- All athletic physical forms should go to the Nurse. Those are not for band.
- Copies of students physical is not required for band.
- Complete and snail mail the attached medical form to: Ms. Vickie Henson, John Glenn HS 478 Elwood Road, East Northport, NY 11731
Pre Camp Rehearsal - August 10th, 4 - 9 PM.
Let’s start our season off right! An evening of rehearsal, games, food and fun! Bring your instrument and music.
Band Camp - August 14-18, 4-9 PM (Mon.-Fri.) (All Band and Kickline members)
In an effort to keep the time commitments down for marching band during the school year, we will be having band camp August 15-19 from 4 PM - 9 PM and August 30th , 4 PM – 9 PM.
While camp is not mandatory it is highly suggested that you attend. Our very first performance will be Thursday SEPTEMBER 9th! The more band members we can get to camp the better the band will look and sound on Sept. 9th.
Band Camp SHOWCASE - August 18 (Friday) Parent showcase! We will rehearse from 4-6 PM and then perform our show for our parents and friends at 6:30PM!
Rehearsal for Band and Kickline - Tuesday, Aug. 30th, 4-9 PM – This is an outdoor field rehearsal for the band and Kickline. We will be working to memorize our drill/music. If you are not available to come to band camp please try and make this rehearsal so that you are no so far behind. This rehearsal is critical to the success of our first performance on Sept. 9th!
Marching band - Fall Football schedule and Newsday Band Festival
As a reminder, we will be playing in the stands for the first half of all games; performing on the field at half-time and after half-time you are dismissed. You are free to see the second half of the game on your own.
The Fall rehearsal Schedule will be posted online and emailed to everyone after June 20th.
The football game dates/times are not yet listed by Section XI.
- Sept. 9th (Sat) Home football game performance 1:30 PM
- TBD (Sat) Home Football game performance 1:30 PM
- TBD (Sat) Home football game performance 1:30 PM
- Oct. 17th (Tue) NEWSDAY BAND FESTIVAL PERFORMANCE
- TBD (Sat) Homecoming Parade and football game performance 11:30 AM
To the Band,
To our newest members, on behalf of the band let me welcome you. I hope you make great friends and have fun making music. The students in band are the very brightest and very best of Elwood. Let me assure you that the Band Leadership Council; those students elected by the band, will spend a great deal of time making sure that the 2017 - 2018 season will be trouble free. I am very proud of the Leadership Council for coming up with what I think are excellent solutions to band issues.
To the class of 2018 – It is hard to imagine that you are in your 4th year! You have made such a positive impact on this band. You continue to be the foundation of the John Glenn Band and I know you will maintain our commitment to excellence.
The band holds a special place in the heart of the Elwood community. The district and community depend on us a great deal! As a band we are continually improving with rave reviews at the Newsday Band Festival, Gold and Silver awards at NYSSMA State Band Adjudication, as well as tremendous admiration of our community at football games, concerts and parades.
You are truly the hardest working people in the school! What we do takes talent, hard work and dedication to maintain that level of excellence! I look forward to even greater success for the 2017 - 2018 season. I hope you have wonderfully enjoyable summer and I look forward to seeing you in August.
Mandatory Band Necessities
All Band students are required to purchase items below. Contact Ms. Henson if you have any questions.
Must be available by band camp:
1. Lyre and Flip folder
- Clarinets, Saxes, Brass - basic flip folder and a lyre specific to your instrument.
- Flutes - make sure you get the flipfolder/lyre combo called Flutist Friend.
- Drummers - make sure you get a DEG HC245 Drummers Delight Lyre/Flipfolder combo.
- Cymbals - order a Flutist Friend Lyre/flip folder.
- Pit Percussion - no flip folder - only a 1 inch 8.5 x 11 black binder.
- Everyone should order an extra packet of flip folder sheets.
2. A 8 1/2 x 11 loose leaf binder for marching drill pages. (everyone but Pit Percussion)
3. A water jug.
Must be available by first week of school.
1. Band Polo - Can be purchased through Ms. Henson during band camp or just use plain black polo.
2. All black gloves.
- Grip gloves are preferred as they help to keep the instrument/sticks in you hands during cold or wet weather.
- Gloves MUST be all black. No marks or logos. No exceptions.
3. Marching Band shoes. The Drillmasters (not Super Drillmasters) are designed specifically for marching band. These shoes will last you for years and may also be worn as dress shoes for our concerts for the men.
- These shoes are $30 plus shipping. Sizes are based on dress shoe sizes not sneakers sizes.
- Men’s sizes 3-15, half sizes 3-11, wide 11-15
- Women's’ sizes 5-17 and all half sizes
- Shoes (Drillmasters – black) can only be ordered online.
Percussionists will also need:
1. Practice pad (the Evans HQ 6 inch Realfeel pad is a great choice for authentic feel)
2. Sticks / Mallets and practice pad
- Snare drummers - Ralph Hardimon SRHN snare drum marching sticks (Nylon tip).
- Tenor drummers - Vic Firth MTS1 Tenor Sticks. (Nylon tips)
- Bass drummers - Ralph Hardimon SRHN Snare drum marching sticks (Nylon tip) bass mallets will be provided
- Pit Percussion - Poly ball Xylophone mallets - any brand.
Reputable online stores:
www.mccormicksnet.com (under heading uniform accessories)