November 2023 Edition
"CONNECTING HOME TO SCHOOL MAKES US A GREAT COMMUNITY OF LEARNERS"
Parents thank you for your feedback on different topics that were suggested for some of our upcoming Family and Parent Engagement sessions where we can learn together. We will be working on hosting one of these sessions during January 2024. Our new Family and Engagement Specialist will begin working on December 1 in the district.
The first nine weeks has passed and it is very important for parents to keep up with their child''s grades if they are in 3rd-12th grade. If you have not signed up to Parent Portal please reach out to your child's Data Manager to get access.
Parent Portal Benefits:
You can see how your child is performing at all times in all subject areas at any time of the day.
Parent engagement with communicating with the teacher's if you notice any concerns.
You can check in with your child on his/her standing with grades.
Important Dates To Remember
November 22, 2023 - Optional Workday - No School
November 23, 2023 - Happy Thanksgiving - No School
November 24, 2023 - Holiday - No School
GCPS School Spotlight
Butner Stem Elementary School
Northern Granville Middle School
NGMS Student Support and Family Team along with Vance-Granville Community College will host a SCHOOL OF HEALTH SCIENCES CAREER FAIR for 7th and 8th grade students on Thursday, December 7th.
The career fair will take place in the media center between the hours of 12pm-2pm.
Students will be engaged with an activity and have a chance to win a prize!
JF Webb High School
Find out what is happening at JF Webb High School.
Butner Stem Middle School
On November 8th and 9th, all seventh and eighth-grade students at Butner-Stem Middle School were able to participate in hands-on learning activities with a visit from the Betabox team. This on-site field trip was sponsored by Cypress Creek Renewables. Students got the opportunity to build circuits, program robotic cars, observe 3D printers in action, and use block coding to control drones. As a continuation of this experience, Butner-Stem Middle School teachers will have access to Betabox’s Classbox, a portal to access STEM lesson plans and interactive materials for their classrooms.
G. C. Hawley Middle School
G.C. Hawley served as one of our host sites for the inaugural GCPS Stop & Drop Off Hope project to help end homelessness during National Hunger & Homelessness Awareness Week! The student leaders at G.C. Hawley Middle School, succeeded in that we have a variety of items that can be given to any GCPS students and family in our district.
Quick Thanksgiving Recipe - Turkey Candy Brownies
- brownie recipe (baked and cooled – see note)
- ▢1 can Chocolate Frosting
- ▢1 cup Candy Corn (5 per turkey)
- ▢Candy Eyes (2 per turkey)
- Use a round cookie cutter to cut circles out of your brownies. My cookie cutter was 1 3/4” in diameter. I’d say don’t go smaller than 1 1/2” or larger than 2”.
- Frost each brownie with chocolate frosting. Place 4 candy corn pieces upside down sticking up from the frosted brownie to simulate the turkeys feathers.
- Place two eyes on the face of the turkey.
- Cut the tip off of a candy corn and add it as the beak.
Switch it up to Reeses Candy Turkeys
- Make Reeses Candy Turkeys by using peanut butter cups in place of the brownies. You don’t have to frost them – just use a bit of frosting or melted chocolate to make the candy corn and eyes stick.
- Use a different color frosting for the eyes – or use M&Ms or even chocolate chips or mini Reese’s pieces.