A newsletter for Alta Vista Staff~Week of March 12, 2018
Don't Forget! Next Week's Calendar
- Parent Involvement Event on Saturday, March 2 at UHS
- TELPAS Computer Training for students ALL WEEK
- Mr. A from Region 12 Visiting on Tuesday, March 13
- Kinder meets with Mr A on Tuesday, March 13 at 8:10-10:10 (Aides covering classes; will not be helping with 4th gr. interventions)
- House Parties on Wednesday, March 14
- Faculty Meeting on Wednesday, March 14
- Middle of Year LPACS (Gr 3-5) on Thursday, March 15 during Conference
- Reading PLCS on Friday, March 16
- Mayborn Discovery Box on Friday, March 16
Interventions & Tutoring
**5th Grade needs to send students with their mock STAAR math test to tutoring**
Next week is READING for intervention times during the school day. We will be back to our regular schedule.
From Your Captain
Remember that it's "all hands on deck" when we return from Spring Break. Make sure you are maximizing the instructional time you have every day, but don't forget the importance of keeping student-teacher relationships strong; it's okay to spend a few minutes each day on morning meetings to get the day started right.
Practice GRACE and focus on PRACTICE WITHOUT PENALTY. We all make mistakes, and parents are sending their very best. We are all working our hardest to make sure students are successful.
Please stress the importance of this as we are having quite a few physical altercations of late.
We have been doing a great job lately of reinforcing "Our job it to keep the school safe." THANK YOU!
Please email Mrs. Helton if you would like her to lead a morning meeting or speak to your class about our school commitments.
House Party Schedule
Schedule for Wednesday, March 14 (Meet in Cafeteria):
Wear your house shirt and encourage students to do the same!
This is the kick-off for STAAR "Training Camp" and we want to rally the younger grades behind their older teammates. Bring on the SPIRIT!!
PK-2 students will use random objects to create a robot. They will draw a picture of their robot and label the 2D and 3D shapes found on their robot.
Students in gr 3-5 will also create a robot. They will then use grid paper and a ruler to draw a picture of their robot and calculate the perimeter and volume of their robot.
Email Mrs. Helton if you would like to check out the Makerspace Cart this month!