We made it half way!!
Report Cards will be available on Parent Vue on February 13.
Mad Science Day was so much fun!
Note: Vacations are not excused absences. Notes for absences must be turned in within 4 days of the absence. I strongly recommend reporting it in ParentVue so you do not have to worry about if it was turned in.
Our Chronic Absenteeism rate is currently: 31.29%
This means that more than 31% of our students have missed 10% of the school year to date. If your child has missed more than 10% already, please help us but ensuring they are in school. The more days they are in, reduces this number greatly. In the event your child is out for any reason, please reach out to the teacher to see if there are things they can work on (assuming they are well enough to work on it). If they are not well enough, please help them complete and return the items.
Our Tardy Rate is 129 students out of 565 who are tardy more than 5x.
Please know that our school day begins at 7:35 am. That means we are beginning instruction. If your child is late regularly, they are missing instructions. Please do all you can to help your child be in the building, ready to go before 7:35. Tardies also include early dismissal. School ends at 2:04.
Black History Month
Career and Technical Education Month
School Board Appreciation Month
- Monday and Tuesday, January 30 and 31- No School- Teacher workday and Inservice Day.
- Monday, February 13-17
Random Act of Kindness Week
Report Cards available on ParentVue February 13
Tuesday, February 14
Happy Valentine’s Day
Wednesday, February 15
100th Day of School -Each grade level is doing something a little different. Many are dressing up as 100 years old.
Thursday, February 16
Black History Assembly
Friday, February 17
Random Actions of Kindness Day
Monday, February 20
No School- President’s Day
Tuesday, February 21-March 3
MAP Testing begins 1st and 2nd
Wednesday, March 1
Teacher Workday- Elementary Only
Friday, March 3
Don't forget to join the PTA
School Times and Transportation
- School begins at 7:35. Doors will open at 7:15 to begin drop-off. Please be sure that your child has their bookbag/lunchbox ready as you approach the drop-off location. This will make the line faster to ensure we get everyone in the building in time for school to begin. Once you have come to a complete stop, your child may exit the car on the passenger's side of the car.
- School ends at 2:04. We are actively preparing for the dismissal process at 1:50.
- Please be sure that your child and the teacher know how your child gets home every day.
- For the safety of our students, no transportation changes after 1:30. This is a Chesapeake Public Schools guideline this year.
- Kindergarteners: PLEASE have bus tags daily!
- Please do not line up outside for parent drop-off before 7 so that staff can get in the parking lot for the day.
- Please do not line up for Tiny Tiger pick-up prior to 1:30.
- Absences: Please be sure to log into ParentVUE to submit absence notes, you can send in a note or email Porttiger@cpschools.com within 4 days of absence. This is important because the absences automatically go unexcused without a note and an excused reason (illness, doctor). 5 unexcused absences lead to the beginning phases of truancy.
- Thank you so much for your assistance in helping our school day run smoothly!
IMPORTANT NOTE FOR KINDERGARTEN PARENTS: Your child will have a bus tag which will be placed on their backpack. The person picking the Kindergartener up from the bus stop MUST have the matching tag. Bus drivers do not have the ability to verify parent contacts so the card is the only way that they can verify the person is allowed to have that child. If no one has the card or can quickly get the card, the student will be returned to school for pick up and verification. This is a CPS policy and the driver MUST follow the policy. The policy is for your child's safety!
Do you have some feedback on things we are doing well or things we could improve? Please click this link to share. For things we can improve, please be kind and offer suggestions. We appreciate your feedback.
Science of Reading
Want to help your child learn to read? This website has great resources and games to help you build their skills.