Carlton Ave Elementary School
November 13, 2023
From the Principal:
Wishing all Carlton families a joyous and family-filled Thanksgiving Break next week! There is so much that we all can be thankful for. The Chapman's, especially me, also have so much to appreciate! I am so thankful to be Principal at Carlton Ave Elementary School and becoming part of this wonderful community!
CONFERENCES WILL CONTINUE THIS WEEK!!
FROM 11/13 - 11/17, ALL STUDENTS WILL HAVE AN EARLY DISMISSAL SCHEDULE:
- TK/KINDER- RELEASED AT 1:05
- GRADES 1-5 RELEASED AT 1:15
OPTIONAL Chromebook Insurance- Now cheaper for families!
IMPORTANT Attendance Information:
We are thankful for you!
As we prepare to take time off from school from 11/20-11/24 for the Thanksgiving break, we are grateful for everyone who has helped to restore a routine for showing up to school while supporting students and families.
Daily routines are essential for reducing stress and creating a sense of security for students and adults.
Please take steps to keep your child healthy and send them to school unless they are truly sick. Every day of school is an important opportunity for students to learn as well as connect to peers and their teachers.
· Our students and their families who do their best to show up to class every day even when it isn’t easy.
· Our teachers who have gone above and beyond to help make school a welcoming learning environment where students can thrive.
· Our administrators who help us work together to ensure we are healthy and safe, feel a sense of community and experience the excitement of an engaging learning environment.
· Our many, many helpers - the support staff and community volunteers who provide the extra hands and attention our children need.
May these days off be restful and healing.
● We look forward to seeing you again when school resumes on Monday, 11/27.
Thank you for partnering with us!
Join the fun! Become a Carlton Yard Duty!!
Hello Carlton Families!
We are in need of daily Yard Duty Support during our TK/Kinder lunch and recess.
If you are available for even one hour of supervision support please select our link below.
We are able to have just one (1) person per area, per day.
If you do not know your availability, or notice there are no more slots available on a particular day,
you are still welcome to offer "walk-in" yard duty support.
if you are going to be a yard duty or volunteer in any role during our school day,
please complete our Volunteer Code of Conduct.
Yard Duty is a payable position for anyone available on a consistent basis.
Please see me in the office with questions.
We would like to thank everyone who has been helping us with Yard Duty Supervision so far this year!!
We truly appreciate you!!
Project Cornerstone monthly book: I Wish You Knew
Today in your child’s classroom, Project Cornerstone Volunteers read the book I Wish You Knew by Jackie Azúa Kramer. The story has characters sharing what they wish others knew about them. This thought-provoking book encourages students to consider their own biases and assumptions. It provides opportunities for conversations about compassion, active listening, and perspective-taking.
Take the opportunity to ask questions of your child and actively listen.
- Make eye contact and paraphrase responses to show that you understand.
- Questions can be simple or serious.
- What is one thing you wish grown-ups knew about being a kid?
- If you had a magic wand, what would you change in the world?
- What house rule would you like to change and why?
- If you could do anything you wanted to right now, what would you do?
By modeling active listening and then giving your child a chance to do the same, you are teaching your child to gain insight into a speaker’s experiences. This perspective-taking builds empathy in the listener and the speaker.
Math Challenge 2023 - 2024
Our math challenge program is well underway and we are currently on MC4! All students K to Grade 5 are invited to participate.
Print out the current Math Challenge (MC4) at home and complete before today, Nov 13th!
You can submit the solutions either by filling out this form: https://forms.gle/LrRdKLkMxosDb3Mz6 or place the completed Math Challenge papers in the designated Math Challenge Box at the school office.
MC3 winners were announced last week on parent square. Winners from each grade can go to the office to pick a prize from the Prize Box!
Completion of 11 Math Challenges through the school year will enable the student to receive a recognition certificate.
Events this week:
- 11/13-11/17 CONFERENCES!
- 11/13 from 6:00-8:00 pm- Board meeting at the USD District Office
- 11/20-11/24 Thanksgiving Break- NO SCHOOL!
UPDATED: Carlton Ave Elementary TK/Kinder Bell Schedule
October 2 - June 7
8:05 - 1:30 (Mon, Tue, Thr, Fri)
8:05 Class Begins
9:30-9:50 TK Recess
9:50-10:10 Kinder Recess
11:10-12:00 TK Lunch
11:35-12:30 Kinder Lunch
**Early Dismissal EVERY Wednesday at 1:05
Grades 1-5 Bell Schedule
8:00 Arrival Time
8:15 Class Begins
2:40 Class Ends
**Early Dismissal EVERY Wednesday at 1:15