By: Anna Kate Willis 3B
The Man behind the Mouse
Walter Elias Disney was the co-founder of Disney
Roy O. Disney is the other founder and Walt's brother.
His Early Life
His father was Elias Disney, an Irish-Canadian, and his mother, Flora Call Disney, was German-American.
Born on December 5, 1901
Born in Chicago Illinois
When he was just 7 he started selling some of his drawing to his Neighbors
By 11 he was animating commercials for movie theaters.
By 18 he became a drafts man at a Kansas city Art studio
His start to fame
- At 20 he moved to to work with his brother in a cartoon editing office called Laugh-O-Gram Studio
- In 1908 he started his work on snow white it was the first full lingethed animated special.
- He established Disney as we know on October 16, 1923 and called it The Walt Disney Company named after him
- In 1928 The first sound Cartoon was created it was called Steamboat Willie
- In 1940 he opened another studio called Walt Disney Productions witch brought out Pannocio Fantaia, Dumbo and Bambie
- They used television Broadcast to spread the word about disney parks and many other things.
Some obstacles Walt faced
- He was put to work at just nine years old,
- Had only an eighth-grade education
- Almost no formal training in art,
- Suffered multiple business setbacks.
- The incredible thing is that he saw these not as failings but as the things that helped to make him the great visionary and businessman he became.
- On Dec 15 1966 Walt Disney died from lung Cancer.
His Legacy still Lives on
- Today the are 2 Disney parks in the US
- The first one being Disneyland witch opened on July 17, 1955.
- The second one being Disney World opened October 1, 1971
- In his lifetime Walt has managed to have founded or co-founded 18 organizations most of them carrying the Disney name.