Trailridge Parent Update
MARCH 7, 2021
Upcoming Dates to Note
- Wednesday, March 10 - General PTA Meeting. Please join us! (See the meeting link in the PTA section below)
- Friday, March 19 - Teacher Professional Learning Day - No School for students
- Monday, March 22 - ALL In-Person Learning begins
- Thursday, March 25 - Family Fun Bingo Night 6:30-8:00PM (See flyer in the PTA section below)
- Thursday, April 1 - End of 3rd Quarter (Deadline for students to turn in work for 3rd Quarter is 11:59PM on April 1.)
- Friday, April 2 - Teacher Work Day - No School for students
- WEEK OF APRIL 5-9 - Spring Break
- Monday, April 12 - Beginning of 4th Quarter
- April 12 - 19: Panorama Survey window
- WEEK OF APRIL 19: State Assessments (through Wildcat Hour)
- Friday, April 30: Transfer Requests Due
MAP Testing Window opens May 10:
- Week of May 10 - Math Testing through Math classes
- Week of May 17 - Reading Testing through ELA classes
- Thursday, May 27 - Last Day of School - Early Dismissal
MORE INFO ABOUT OUR SPORTS CLINICS
We have 2 sets of clinics remaining for this year:
Girls VOLLEYBALL (March 29 - April 30)
- VBall interest form: https://forms.gle/hFYvyDUCeg3X26S2A (sign up by Friday, March 19)
- Athletic Packet due by Tuesday, March 23
Boys & Girls CROSS COUNTRY (May 3-27)
- XC interest form: https://forms.gle/ZtwE4gzSS3jgy5x2A (sign up by Friday, April 16)
- Athletic Packet due by Friday April 23
PLEASE NOTE: Even when we are all in-person, the clinics will stay by Student Groups through the end of the school year.
- Group A students will attend on Mondays & Tuesdays
- Group B students will attend on Wednesdays & Thursdays
- We will be following all mitigating practices
- No clinics on Fridays
ATHLETIC PACKET INFO:
***Any student who would like to participate in the clinics will need to have a current physical on file, along with the Concussion & Head Injury Release signed. These can be found in English HERE - and in (Spanish).***
Contact Jeanette Brethour if you have any questions: email@example.com
DANCE CLUB: This is a one-day club! (SMNW Dance Coach will be leading the club.)
- GROUP A will be on Monday, March 15
- Group B will be on Thursday, March 18
- 3:45-5:00PM (See the flyer below.)
- Trailridge MPR
FOOTBALL CLUB: April 26-May 20 (SMNW Football Coach will be leading the club.)
- GROUP A will be on Mondays & Tuesdays
- Group B will be on Wednesdays & Thursdays
- Sign-up form coming soon.
- Trailridge Soccer Fields
HONOR AN ALL-STAR STAFF MEMBER
Do you know a Shawnee Mission teacher or staff member who should be recognized as a Shawnee Mission All-Star? You can nominate a certified and/or classified employee to be considered for the district award by clicking here.
Shawnee Mission All-Stars are recognized by the Board of Education and district for this award regularly. A committee meets to review nominations and complete the selection process.
You are encouraged to share specific examples and tell stories that demonstrate what makes the nominee stand out as an All-Star, particularly how they support you and students in your building in achieving the district’s three objectives of relevant personalized learning, college and career readiness, and development of interpersonal skills.
GROUP A -
- In person at Trailridge on Mondays & Tuesday
- Log into Wildcat Hour on Wednesdays Thursdays (will be counted absent if you do not log into Wildcat Hour)
- Log into ALL classes on Fridays via WebEx
GROUP B -
- Log into Wildcat Hour on Mondays & Tuesday (will be counted absent if you do not log into Wildcat Hour)
- In person at Trailridge on Wednesdays Thursdays
- Log into ALL classes on Fridays via WebEx
REMOTE BELL SCHEDULE
If your student is having technology issues when trying to log into a class, please have them contact the school WHEN they are having those issues so we can assist. (913) 993-1000.
If you do not have internet access or need assistance with internet access to assist with your child's learning, please contact the office at 913-993-1000.
More from our STUDENT SERVICES TEAM
We are springing in March Trailridge Families,
The flyer below contains some very helpful information as we partner with our community, Johnson County Mental Health, to continue to work together to meet the needs of all of our students.
As always, please feel free to reach out to your Trailridge Student Services Team to discuss specific concerns: https://sites.google.com/smsd.org/tmsstudentservices/home?authuser=1
Our padlet is also available to browse for Johnson County Resources:
Please let us know if you have any questions or if there is anything we can do to support your student or your family.
Thanks so much!
Elisabeth Johnsrud, 7th grade counselor
Kristin Warner, 8th grade counselor
Vicki Canady, Social Worker
Question - Persuade - Refer
The Shawnee Mission School District and Johnson County Mental Health are partnering to provide an important training for SMSD parents. QPR stands for Question, Persuade, Refer and is a three-step, life-assisting process to learn the warning signs of suicide, ask the tough questions, persuade someone to get further help and assistance, and make appropriate and timely referrals.
You don’t have to be an expert in the field of mental health to learn these life-saving skills. Please consider joining us for this free, important training. For more information
on QPR, visit: https://qprinstitute.com/
Please contact the Nurse if:
- The parent or student has been exposed to someone who tested positive for Covid-19.
- Student has tested positive for Covid-19 so that we can more closely monitor quarantine and isolation to keep our students and staff healthy with the start back of hybrid education for second semester.
If you have questions regarding COVID-19 and your student, please contact our school nurse, Darla Denny at 913 993-1007.
Transfer Requests Process
Please see the information below regarding the transfer request process for the 2021-2022 school year. Please note that the process has changed and there are two separate transfer request windows.
The first, for students currently enrolled in grades K-11 and a later window for incoming kindergarten students. Please be aware that due to high enrollment, the following schools WILL NOT be accepting new transfer requests for the 21-22 school year: Briarwood, Brookridge, Corinth. If an incoming kindergarten student has a sibling currently on transfer to one of these three schools, contact the school principal for consideration.
For SMSD students currently enrolled in grades K-11 for the 2020-2021 school year - All In-District transfer requests will be submitted electronically using the Skyward Family Access system. The custom form will be available beginning March 1 at 12 a.m. and will close on April 30 at 11:59 p.m. Please note that any students CURRENTLY APPROVED for transfer to another location DO NOT need to reapply.
For SMSD students entering kindergarten for the 2021-2022 school year - All In-District transfer requests will be submitted electronically using the Skyward Family Accesssystem. In order to complete the form, you MUST first complete the enrollment process in your home school through the online enrollment portal. The custom form will be available beginning July 7 at 12 a.m. and must be completed by July 19 at 11:59 p.m. to be considered in the initial approval period. The form will remain open through August 2 and additional transfers will be granted as classroom space allows with final notifications being made the week of August 2.
Requesting a Transfer for SY 2021-2022
** IMPORTANT: The parent/guardian listed as family 1 will need to complete the form in Skyward Family Access. Attached to this message are directions to assist.
- Log-in to Skyward Family Access
- Complete Elementary In-District Transfer Request
- Repeat, as needed, for each student
- Complete before Friday, April 30, 2021 at 11:59 p.m.
To learn more about the transfer process, visit our website.
Please contact your child’s school with school-specific questions.
Forgot your username/password?
The Skyward Family Access parent account is based on the parent email address on file with the school. First, try using the “Forgot your Login/Password” to reset your password. This link is on the login page for Family Access. If that process is not successful, please contact your child’s school directly to ensure it has your most current email address on file.
ATTENDANCE IS IMPORTANT!
INFORMATION ABOUT TRUANCY
The administration of Trailridge may begin to request documentation for all absences after the 10th absence in a school year. Absences without a doctor's note or administrative approval may be recorded as unexcused. A student with three consecutive unexcused absences, five unexcused absences in a semester, or seven unexcused absences in a year is considered TRUANT according to Kansas State statues. A truancy report may be filed with the Johnson County District Attorney's office.
Attendance Line: 913 993-1012
If your child is going to miss a class for an appointment or any reason (whether in-person or remote), please make sure you are calling the office to let the attendance clerk know. This is important so that we can excuse the absence.
PHOTOS NEEDED FOR OUR YEARBOOK
This has been a tough year to get into classrooms to take pictures. I would love to have yours if you have them. Also candids or other school happenings would be lovely. THE DEADLINE FOR PHOTOS IS COMING SOON!
You can upload from your web browser on your computer or mobile device.
1. Go to this link https://studio.balfour.com/ezpix/ (Links to an external site.)
2. You'll need the project number: 112751
3. Leave the upload code blank.
4. You'll be asked for your name, email, and grade.
5. Once photos are selected, be sure to tell us who is in the picture and what the event is so that we know how to sort them.
Here are some of the types of pictures we are looking for:
· You in your at-home workspace: Let's see your set up.
· Your at-home coworkers (pets)
· Photos of your with work you've done for class (tell us which class it is when you upload)
· A remote school photos: Use photobooth on your laptop and take a picture of yourself. Upload it with your name and tag remote school photo. We will put all the pictures in a special section like our regular school pictures, but these will be all of us at home. Feel free to be silly (and school appropriate) in your picture.
· Candids of you with your school friends taken at school or out of school.
· Pictures of you in your mask, particularly the unusual ones. You could also include your mask collection.
· Photos of you doing TikToks.
· Lunch at home on school days
· Photos of you in learning pods on remote days
· Photos of you with your Trailridge friends.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
HOMEWORK HELP CLUB
Here is the WebEx link: https://smsd.webex.com/meet/brittqualls
Or feel free to contact email@example.com.
Overview: What is the Panorama Social-Emotional Survey?
The Shawnee Mission School District (SMSD) recognizes, values and appreciates our partnership with you in the education of your student. In an effort to enhance student learning, the district has secured a platform to garner information regarding our students’ social and emotional experiences and needs. The Panorama Social-Emotional Learning platform will enable teachers in grades 3 through 12 to administer a validated, research-backed Social Emotional Learning survey to students. This system gathers student’s feedback via an online survey that they will complete at school. Over 1,000 schools and districts currently use Panorama for Social-Emotional Learning (SEL), including the Olathe and Blue Valley School Districts, to measure and grow their students’ social emotional skills and provide appropriate, age-specific resources and supports.
Social Emotional Learning is the process through which children and adults acquire and effectively apply the knowledge, attitudes and skills necessary to understand and manage emotions, set and achieve goals, feel and show empathy for others, maintain positive relationships, and make responsible decisions. These skills help students (and adults!) succeed in school, careers and life. The Panorama for Social Emotional Learning system measures student growth on topics such as Growth Mindset, Grit, Self-Management and Social Awareness, as well as student perceptions of their school climate, teacher-student relationships, school safety and sense of belonging. Panorama for Social Emotional Learning gives educators evidence-based resources to use as part of their regular classroom instruction, so we can further grow in partnership around students’ academic and social and emotional needs.
The Panorama survey takes approximately 30-45 minutes to complete and will be administered once each semester. Our next Survey will be given between April 12-19, 2021. Panorama data will continue to be reviewed at the district and classroom level to determine areas of strength, as well as areas where more instruction or additional skill practice is needed. Individual student data around grit, growth mindset, school climate and teacher-student relationships is available to parents throughout the school year.
For Parents: What is Panorama?
Food Service Employees Needed
The Shawnee Mission School District Food Service Program is looking for dedicated food service employees. Food Service employees work on school days and have evenings, weekends and summers off. It is a perfect job as you work when your children are in school. The district offers an excellent benefit package which includes paid holidays, health insurance, retirement plan, uniform reimbursement and paid sick leave.
For more information and a listing of available positions, visit the district website at www.smsd.org . Go to the Human Resources tab, select Job Opportunities from the drop down menu, Click on External Candidate Search, click on food services and apply for the position(s) you are interested in.
Questions can be directed to the Food Services Department at 913- 993-9710 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
FREE meals for ALL students
Meal pick up will continue on Fridays from 6:30-7:45 a.m. at all schools. Food service provides free meals to students regardless if they are in remote, hybrid, or in-person learning. This includes breakfast and lunch meals. Meals provided cover the days the student is not in-person learning (including weekend meals). You will receive a week's worth of breakfasts and lunches when you pick up each Friday!
Pick up day is each Friday from 6:30-7:45 a.m.
We will be transitioning to a different pizza soon due to manufacturer challenges. The stuffed crust pizza that is a favorite of our students has been discontinued for the remainder of this school year. We will continue to have pizza on our menus. The new items will be added to SchoolCafé for nutrient and ingredient information. We appreciate your support and apologize for any inconvenience this will cause.
When students are in person, any extra ala carte purchases the students will need to have money on their food service account.
Please contact the Food Service office with questions at (913) 993-9710 or email@example.com.
The school breakfast and lunch menus, pick up meal information, and other nutrition information are available on the district’s website at https://www.smsd.org/about/departments/food-service.
PLEASE APPLY FOR FREE/REDUCED MEALS if you haven't already done so . . .
We encourage families to continue to apply for free and reduced meals in the event the funding is no longer available by clicking here. Qualifying may allow for other support through the district so it is important to continue to apply for free and reduced meals.
Our PTA is very active in supporting students and staff at Trailridge through grants, assemblies, student activities and celebrations, and more and while our events and activities will undoubtedly look different this school year, our commitment to supporting our students, staff, and families is as strong as ever! Please consider joining and getting involved in your Trailridge PTA as we find new and creative ways to support our students, staff, and families in 2020/2021!
Virtual BINGO Night
Please join us for VIRTUAL Bingo Night hosted by KC Crew on March 25 from 6:30-8:00PM! As part of this event, we are raising funds to purchase a water bottle filling station for our school. You may donate as much or as little as you would like, or just join in the fun...we'd love to have you either way! There will be great prizes for Bingo and trivia as well as drawings for donors! Visit the PTA website for full details including links to register and donate.
Additionally, we'd love help securing awesome prizes for Bingo Night! Our wish list can be found on the website with the Bingo information.
We hope you and your family will join in the fun on the 25th!