An Inside Look:
10 facts on China's Geography.
- China stretches approximately 3,250 miles East to West, and approximately 3,400 miles North to South.
- China's coastline is approximately 9,010 miles long.
- China is surrounded by 14 countries, including Mongolia, Russia, and North Korea.
- The western part of China is called the "Roof of the World" because the land there is approximately 16,500 feet high.
- Approximately 1/3 of China is covered in mountains.
- China is surrounded by many large bodies of water, including the East China Sea, the Korea Bay, the Yellow Sea, the Taiwan Strait, and the South China Sea.
- There are over 50,000 rivers throughout China.
- The Yangtze River in China is the third longest river in the world.
- China is the world's largest producer of antimony, natural graphite, tungsten, and zinc.
- Only approximately 14.86% of China is arable.
- There have been about 24 dynasties throughout China's history. Dynasties ended in 1912 with the Republic of China.
- The current ruler of China (president) is Xi Jinping.
- Taoism was made in China.
- There are 50 different peoples in China.
Customs & Traditions
- Building walls is a major part of Chinese culture. China has grown up trying to keep people out of their land.
- Chinese knots represent good luck wishes.
- China has many different languages, but they can all unite and use the standard symbols.
- Official language is Mandarin.
- The group is considered more important than the individual.
- There are only 22 ancient surnames used today.
Arts & Literature
- The Great Wall of China is considered the largest form of art in the world.
- The I Ching is the best example of a Chinese holy book.
- China is one of the wealthiest countries in the world.
- China is one of the most developed country in the world.
Look at the graph and then answer the questions.
- What direction did the population go in during the Han Dynasty?
- Why did the population go slowly in that direction?
- Life Expectancy: 74.99 years.
- 7 Major Languages.
- 95.1% of people can read.
- 50.6% Urban Population.
- 37/100,000 Birth Deaths.
- Adult Obesity: 5.7%.
- Time Difference: UTC+8.
- Voting: 18 years.
- 23 Provinces.
- GDP: $9,300.
- Life Expectancy: 69.51 years.
- 1 Major Language.
- 100% of people can read.
- 60.3% Urban Population.
- 81/100,000 Birth Deaths.
- Adult Obesity: 3.9%.
- Time Difference: UTC+9.
- Voting: 17 years.
- 9 Provinces.
- GDP: $1,800.
- Communist Government.
- Most people are 25-54 years old.
- Buddhists and Christians present.
- Legal System: Civil Law.
- Labor Force- Occupation by agriculture: ~35%.