From Hamilton To Home
We are very excited to see your child walk through the doors at Hamilton!! The custodial team has done an amazing job getting the building ready and the teachers are very excited for the upcoming school year!!! Please be sure to read through the entire newsletter as there is a lot of important information such as staggered start dates, Kindergarten screenings, Open House, arrival/dismissal procedures, the Hamilton Affirmation, the 3 Be's, and MUCH MORE!!!!
I would like to remind you about the importance of setting healthy school routines at home such as:
- Go to bed at the same time every night
- Get at least 8 hours or more of sleep
- Eat a healthy breakfast every morning
- Get plenty of exercise to help you stay healthy
- Get into a routine of doing homework
Regular attendance at the elementary school level is crucial to each student’s success, as it sets up a good pattern for your child’s entire school career. Please make sure your child is here every day that it is possible.
We are looking forward to a great school year and if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to the main office at 440-284-8007 and choose option 0.
At Hamilton, we believe in teaching students to be confident young people. Every morning, we start the day by reciting the Hamilton Affirmation which states:
I am SOMEBODY
I and CAPABLE and LOVEABLE
I am TEACHABLE
Therefore, I can LEARN
I will not waste TIME
Because, it is too VALUABLE
And I am too PRECIOUS and BRIGHT
I am SOMEBODY
Please practice the affirmation with your child and review what it means. I am also looking for students who can proudly recite the affirmation during the morning announcements.
STAGGERED START SCHEDULE
Like last year, students in kindergarten through eighth grade are starting the year with a staggered return, beginning Monday, Aug. 21.
The gradual start gives elementary and middle school students the opportunity to meet their teachers and learn their new schedules in smaller, more individualized settings.
K-8 students will return to school alphabetically by their last name beginning Aug. 21.
- Students whose last names begin with A through G ONLY will return Aug. 21.
- Students whose last names begin with H through O ONLY will return Aug. 22.
- Students whose last names begin with P through Z ONLY will return Aug. 23.
- All K-8 students will attend on Aug. 24.
IMPORTANT: All Elyria High School students will return on Aug. 21 (no staggered return.)
All Preschool students will return on Aug. 28.
2022-2023 School Hours: 9:10 A.M.-3:10 A.M. and Pre-K: 9:10 A.M.-2:10 P.M.
WHOSE CLASS WILL MY CHILD/CHILDREN BE IN???????
Class lists will NOT be displayed on school grounds. You can see and access your child's teacher by logging into PowerSchool on August 17th. We are working hard finalizing class lists now- thank you for your patience.
Here is the PowerSchool link https://ps-elyr.metasolutions.net/public/
All incoming Hamilton Kindergarten students will have an opportunity to come to screening on August 14th and 15th here at Hamilton Elementary. This is important to help set them up for success this academic year. All students are scheduled for a specific time, and a form was sent home last week with details and important information. If you are unsure of your time or have any questions, please call the main office 440-284-8007, Option 0. Thank you!
School hours are 9:10am-3:10pm.
Doors do not open until 8:55- please do not drop off early or allow students to walk early.
If you are dropping off, please hold your child in the car with you until 8:55am.
Please call the office to report your child(ren)’s absence at 284-8007 before 9:30AM. Our phone has 24-hour voicemail so that you may call and leave a message anytime. Please leave a voicemail if no one answers the phone in the office; voicemails are frequently checked and the office will receive your message.
Please make sure you always have a photo ID with you, when you come to the school, this is for the safety of our students.
The Main Office of any school building is a hub of activity. Students and staff are always on the go, in and out of the space throughout the school day.
It’s an active place for regular check-ins and meetings with students, as well as staff conferences and daily interactions with school principals and counselors. The Main Office is also a confidential space at times for conversations and interactions between school personnel and students.
Parents and caregivers are part of the equation, too. For any number of reasons, parents may be asked to come to their child’s school during the day. When that happens, parents should follow the district’s visitor procedures by using the school’s main entrance buzzer and intercom system to gain entrance to the school, and then signing in at the front desk.
If parents/caregivers do not have a meeting at the school but still need to come to the school during the day to see their child or to speak to a staff member, call-ahead notice or an appointment is required.
This ensures parents will be seen in a timely manner and upholds the safety practices of the school. To contact the Main Office, please call 440-284-8007 and choose option 0.
SCHOOL ATTIRE AND CELL PHONES
Hoodies, and similar tops or jackets with hoods, are "fan favorites" when it comes to school attire. We like them, too, but not when they are worn up and over the head during the school day.
The district's Student Code of Conduct provides direction on headgear, stating that it may not be worn over a person's head or scalp (excluding headgear that's worn for religious or medical reasons.) Hoods can make it difficult to identify an individual in an emergency, and they can also be a distraction in class. Please remind students that hoods may not be worn up during the school day.
The Student Code of Conduct also offers guidance on attire. Clothing must be school appropriate and may not present a health or safety hazard or disrupt the educational environment. Pants and tops must fit properly and be in good repair; crop tops are not permitted.
Additionally, footwear must be school appropriate--slippers and slipper socks are not permitted. Blankets also may not be worn in school.
Students may bring their cell phones to school but they must be turned off and put away during the day unless they are used as a part of a teacher-directed lesson in class. Students are not permitted to use cell phones to make or receive calls, texts or take pictures/videos, during the school day. The school is not responsible for lost or stolen cell phones. Students should keep any phones brought to school in a secure location and turned off (not just on silent/vibrate). Students who violate the Elyria Schools’ cell phone policy may have their cell phones confiscated and a parent will have to come to the school to retrieve the cell phone. Please note the above policy for return of cell phones. Same rules apply to Bluetooth headphones--they may not be worn during the school day.
If you need to reach your student during the school day, please contact the main office and our staff will convey a message or assist you in reaching your student.
CAR RIDER DROP-OFF AND PICK-UP PROCEDURES
Car Rider Arrival:
- All cars must enter the driveway off of 12th St. off of West Ave and not Middle Ave. and drop off the student so they exit onto the main entrance sidewalk. This is done so car riders do not have to enter the driveway and cross in front of moving traffic.
- Once the student is dropped off, the car will continue to Middle Ave. and exit right onto Middle Ave.
- Doors open at 8:55 A.M. so please keep your child in your car until then.
Car Rider Pick-Up:
- All cars must enter the driveway off of 12th St. off of West Ave and not Middle Ave.
- Cars will need to display their blue number card on the dashboard so the staff can see the number. If you need a number, you will register with staff member at the 12th St. driveway entrance or call the main office at 440-284-8007.
- The individual who is picking up the student MUST be listed on the Contact List in PowerSchool so please make sure all of the information is up to date. Proper identification will be required for student pick-up.
- Once the number is received, the number will be communicated with the staff inside the building and the student will exit the building. PLEASE DO NOT GET OUT OF YOUR CAR.
- Staff will escort the student to their car so they enter the vehicle from the main entrance sidewalk. This is done so car riders do not have to cross in front of moving traffic to enter a vehicle.
- The staff member will open and close the car door. Staff will not be responsible for buckling students into car seats or securing seat belts on students.
- There will be a line so please be patient. PLEASE DO NOT GET OUT OF YOUR CAR OR PARK AND WALK UP TO THE DISMISSAL AREA. Anyone who walks up and asks for their child will be redirected to the 13th St. walker exit.
- If you do not want to wait in the long line, it may be best to arrive between 3:10-3:15 P.M. The line moves fast once the process is followed.
Car riders are NOT permitted to be dropped off on 13th St. for arrival and/or dismissal to cross through traffic and the buses, or on Middle Avenue! This is a safety matter and we must have parents’ cooperation.
Walkers can enter and exit at the 13th Street entrance.
If your child is deemed a walker, please DO NOT park in the front lot by the Main Office for arrival and dismissal. In addition, DO NOT cross your student in front or behind busses on 13th street. We must make every attempt to maintain student safety during car and bus rider arrival and dismissal.
HAMILTON OPEN HOUSE
Open House will be on Thursday, August 17th from 5:00-6:00 P.M. Come out and meet your child's teacher. School supplies may be brought in if you have them.
First Student offers a live tracking app called FirstView that makes it easy for parents to follow the progress of their student's bus before and after school. This is helpful to allow you to see your students bus and in the event of a delay you could get the information quickly.
You can sign up here:
FIRSTVIEW BUS INFORMATION
NOTES FROM THE NURSE
As the new school year approaches, it is important to ensure students are prepared with all their necessary supplies and that they are on top of all their required immunizations.
Parents and guardians can view the Ohio Immunization Summary for School Attendance here. For children needing immunizations to meet State of Ohio requirements, parents and guardians can contact their family doctor, health clinic, or Lorain County Public Health Department.
For questions on school immunizations or to update your child’s medical information, contact the school clinic directly at 440-284-8028.
The expectation at Hamilton is that students are always practicing and modeling the 3 B's which are Be Respectful, Be Responsible and Be Ready to Learn in all areas of the school. We encourage parents to have regular discussion on what the 3 B's look like and what happens when they model the 3 B's.
- Open House 5:00-6:00 P.M.
- Staggered start for students whose last names begin with A through G ONLY
- Staggered start for students whose last names begin with H through O ONLY
- Staggered start for students whose last names begin with P through Z ONLY
- ALL students attend daily.