Upper Dublin in Review...
Legislative Meeting Briefs - April 2019
President's Welcome and Reports to the Board of School Directors
- President's Welcome - Dr. Levinowitz called the meeting to order and reported on PSBA Advocacy Day in Harrisburg.
- Student Government Report - Daniel Caplan shared information about happenings at UDHS. Please click here to read Daniel's report.
- Superintendent's Report - Dr. Yanni presented his monthly Superintendent's Report, which focused on advocacy for public education, PSSA testing, Upper Dublin Medals, Upper Dublin Alumni Hall of Fame, Strategic Action Planning, UDHS Theatre's production of Grease, Greenfield Youth Film Festival, and the Jarrettown Elementary Arbor Day Celebration and tree planting.
- General Obligation Bonds and Parameters Resolution - Ms. Jamie Doyle from PFM presented on financial matters related to the construction of the new SRMS.
- Expenditures - Ms. Brenda Jones Bray, Chief Financial Officer, presented a status update on the SY 2019-2020 budget. Click here to view the presentation.
The first community input period is limited to presentation and action items only. The following topics were discussed by meeting attendees during the first community input period:
- Revenue - Tax revenue from Mattison Estates
- Budget - Act 1 Index and tax increases
Education Committee (Curriculum, Technology, and Pupil Services) Recommendations
- Curriculum - The Board reviewed the monthly enrollment report and then approved the following actions: Naglieri Nonverbal Ability Test for Gifted Screening, the Fountas and Pinnell Classroom Pilot, a Newsela License Renewal, and Summer Programming for 2019. Student activities and conferences were also approved.
- Pupil Services - The Board approved the Montgomery County Intermediate Unit Cost Plan of Service Agreement. This is an annual required action.
Operations Committee Recommendations
- Routine Matters - The Board approved the disposal of excess, obsolete, and non-repairable equipment.
- Other Approvals - The Board also approved: Upper Dublin High School Classroom AV Refresh, the acceptance of the ACE Grant, additional surveying services for the new SRMS, design and bidding services for hazardous material removal at SRMS, and the construction of an accessory building at the District Administration Center.
Finance Committee Recommendations
- Routine Matters - The Board approved routines matters such as the review of the treasurer's report and payments of bills.
- Other Matters - The Board also approved a contribution to the Upper Dublin Education Foundation to support UD Medals, budgetary transfers, the parameters bond resolution for the new SRMS, and the proposed final budget for SY 2019-2020. Work will continue on the budget until it is adopted in June 2019.
Personnel Committee Recommendations
- Routine Matters - The Board approved the personnel report, inclusive of appointments, resignations, leaves of absences, changes of status, and extra-curricular appointments.
Policy Committee Recommendations
Policy and Administrative Regulations Approvals - The Board approved the following:
- Independent Study (118) - Policy and Administrative Regulation
Affirmation of First Readings - The Board affirmed a first reading of the following policies:
- Student Athletics (123)
- Homework (130)
- Freedom of Speech in Nonschool Settings (320)
- Political Activities (321)
- Gifts and Discounts (322)
Work continues on merging policies from the 300s, 400s, and 500s series into one set of policies.
In Other Business...
- Liaison Committee Reports - Board members provided reports on upcoming meetings.
- Solicitor's Report - Mr. Roos reported that the Board met in Executive Session to discuss personnel matters and litigation.
Community Input and Follow-Up Comments
The following topics were discussed by meeting attendees during the second community input period:
- SRMS Project - project budget