THE FAMILY ZONE
Equipping the Domestic Church/ISSUE 95/ 9.18.22
We are ALL Catechists and Parents are the Most Important!
Chances are, you said yes. Sometimes, as parents, we feel inadequate, on so many levels. Often, passing on the faith is one of these areas. The Family Zone strives to equip parents in passing on our Catholic faith but there are also great resources of support in your parish. We encourage you to reach out to your pastor, catechetical leader and catechists to help you feel confident in sharing our beautiful Catholic faith.
Today, we pray that your vocation as parent and your role of catechist be blessed and fruitful in many ways; may you always feel God's presence by your side.
LIVE THE EUCHARIST
Click on the link below for the readings that you will hear at the Sunday Mass for the coming two weeks. This will give you a chance to prepare your heart and mind for full and active participation in Mass this weekend! For a Mass schedule in our diocese click on the green button below.
Sunday Readings: https://bible.usccb.org/bible/readings/092522.cfm
Family Stories: Here are some stories about having faith!
David and the Very Big Giant by Tim Thornborough
The Storm that Stopped by Alison Mitchell
The Tiny Seed: A Parable by Katie Warner
Make two lists, either as a family or individually:
On the first list, name all the evidence you have for how you are loved by your family. On the second list, write out to all the evidence you have for how you are loved by God.
Chat about the lists. What do we know BECAUSE of faith? Where do we struggle to know? How can we get to a place of understanding and trust in God?
For Young Children, use the story of David and Goliath for more learning about how a young boy trusted in God! Download this early childhood pack from MaryMarthaMama.Com
- Draw a picture of something you KNOW is there, but you cannot see, like LOVE. Emotions and ideas are best for this family exercise. Invite everyone to draw his or her own picture of the same emotion or idea and share your various representations with one another. Talk about how we imagine God or the Holy Spirit and draw one or both of them as well. This is a great way to make things tangible that are not! Chat about how that helps you to understand living in faith!
- Plant some seeds together, to watch growing, indoors, as our summer season ends. Give your child a lesson in nurturing the plant. As the seed grows, connect the growth back to the mustard seed. Do you see your family's faith growing as well?? How is the faith of your family being nourished?
Follow this prayer as well as the Acts of Hope and Love from the USCCB
Have trouble getting your child to chat about their school day? Try this conversation dice game!
Teaching Your Child About Trustworthy Friendships
Conversation starters for kids!Let's ask some WONDER questions that help us to have faith and imagine GOD's tangible presence:
- Is God in the air? When I feel a rush of wind go by me, is that God saying hello?
- What did Jesus like to do as a child? Did he play? Did he have a best friend?
- Did Mary ever have to remind Jesus to care for his things, as my mom does?
- When Jesus ascended to heaven, did God greet him with a hug?
What are YOUR questions about God, Jesus, or the Holy Spirit? What do you wonder about them?