Girls Achieving Their Potential
Good morning teachers,
We are excited to start our 4th grade girls’ mentoring program, G.A.P. (Girls Achieving their Potential), which is designed to help students reach their full academic and social potential. We will meet once a month after school to discuss a variety of topics that help our mentees develop confidence, leadership skills, compassion, and much more. Our goal is to help these students become well rounded individuals who make positive choices that will allow them to be more productive and successful in and out of school.
We would love to have you as a part of G.A.P.!
G.A.P. Informational Meeting
Thursday, Oct. 1st, 3:30pm
Did you know....
Regarding adolescent girls, recent data suggests that:
- 22% never make it through high school
- 27% have been or will be suicidal
- 34% have eating disorders
- 55% experiment with alcohol, drugs or tobacco
- and, of those with low self-esteem, 25% resort to self-injurious behavior and 75% report engaging in activities such as disordered eating, cutting, bullying, smoking or drinking.
But the GOOD news is that data also suggests that youth who are mentored are:
- 27% less likely to begin using alcohol
- 37% less likely to skip class
- 46% less likely to begin using illegal drugs
- 52% less likely to skip school, are more confident in their academic performance, and get along better with their families.