Curriculum & Instruction Newsletter
You Made History!
Assistant Superintendent of Curriculum & Instruction
The Instructional Hotline Launches Right After Labor Day!
Students in K-12th grade who need support in their reading or math homework can take advantage of this great opportunity! Our wonderful teachers will be on-staff to support students through scheduled 15 minute live video conference sessions. The Instructional Hotline operates on Mondays and Wednesdays for elementary students from 5-7 and on Tuesdays and Thursdays for secondary students from 6-8 pm! We look forward to serving your student! Please share this link to the Instructional Hotline Flyer with your parents and students to get them started right away! https://www.judsonisd.org/Page/26612
Instructional Technology: Canvas Q&A
Randy Rodger, Director of Instructional Technology has shared some of these before, but given the amount of information teachers receive daily, we wanted to share again, plus there have been a few updates to some.
Question: What 3 things should I try if Google is NOT playing nice with Canvas?
- Response: Check out this website for troubleshooting this issue! https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JRCkMr8bFJ9MWoPugxltjQfWOgPxnWy0F-UFbuNqYvY/edit?usp=sharing
Question: What do I do if Zoom integration is not working?
- Response: Don’t use it—> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fR8PARA0-vNFsKR4v_aEyU5QWy1g62fsZZMYZ7zlKPY/edit?usp=sharing (The picture in this document is from a GREAT example of how to use a single link to a Zoom room in a schedule in Canvas.
- Response: The process is for them to get a Pairing Code from each kiddo they have (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GPXU6yVKuAti2AxFeDXToDJq6maNbsH4iC4TfUSFYMU/edit?usp=sharing). Then, they will go straight to https://judsonisd.instructure.com in a web browser (NOT the app—they can login to that AFTER they set up the account in the browser) and find the link to create a parent account, where they will use the aforementioned Pairing Code.
C&I Road Shows are Going Virtual!
Early Literacy: BOY Assessments & Phonics Lessons
BOY assessments have officially started!
- PreK3 will administer the PreK3 developmental checklist, checking off the skills that students have demonstrated thus far during virtual meetings.
- PreK4 will administer eCircle, following the direction provided through the CLI Engage site. Please be aware that although the window opens on September 1st, CLI Engage will NOT be available until the following week, so an additional week will be added to the assessment window.
- Kindergarten will administer TX-KEA following the directions provided through the CLI Engage site. Please be aware that although the window opens on September 1st, TX-KEA will NOT be available until the following week, so an additional week will be added to the assessment window.
- First and second grade will administer the Amplify assessment for reading and Imagine Learning for math. The online Amplify assessment is now available!
Imagine Learning can be used for math at all elementary grade levels but we do not recommend the screening through Imagine Learning for English reading K-2. Rather than using Imagine Learning, we would make the recommendation for students to work through the content on the website https://www.readingbear.org/
K-2 Curriculum Guides and Phonics Lessons:
The curriculum guides include links to daily phonics lessons. Jennifer Johnson, Director of Literacy, is recording and posting one lesson a week per K-2 grade levels through Canvas studio. If you are interested in using that pre-made lesson, be sure to check for the phonics collection shared with you through studio on a weekly basis. Please contact Jennifer directly if you have not had the phonics collection shared with you and would like access.
Lead4Ward Training for Academic Deans, Academic Coaches/Trainers
Thursday, Sep. 10th, 8am
This is an online event.
Academic Deans, Academic Coaches & Trainers:
Please make plans to attend Lead4Ward’s virtual training on Thursday, September 10th. Shelby Ellis from Lead4Ward will be presenting “Engaging Learners in the Virtual Environment!” The training is an exceptional opportunity to expand your online skills and pass along to your teaching staff to establish a more interactive virtual experience.
Elementary Session: 8:00 am – 11:00 am
Eduphoria Registration: https://judson.schoolobjects.com/wshop/default.aspx?cid=21937
Secondary Session: 12:25 pm – 3:35 pm
Eduphoria Registration: https://judson.schoolobjects.com/wshop/default.aspx?cid=21938
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Maricela Maldonado, Professional Learning Specialist @ 210-945-5317 or email@example.com
From the Office of Assessment & Accountability
The C&I Assessment Calendars that include local benchmark testing dates in addition to state testing dates are now available. They are located on the intranet on the Accountability and Assessment page under Curriculum & Instruction or just click HERE.
Eduphoria Support for Teachers
This document below includes links to short videos that you can watch if you need assistance setting up and administering online assessments through Eduphoria Aware. It also includes videos on the accommodations offered for online testing from both the teacher and student views.
Meet Our Newest Team Members!
Sara Boot, Social Studies Specialist
Ms. Boot joined the C&I Team during the COVID-19 pandemic; however, she has been a part of Judson ISD since 2007 and has served at Wagner High School in various capacities. Ms. Boot is a Texas native and her passions are cooking and travel. In fact, she was a chef before joining the teaching arena! Ms. Boot has been actively working to support the teachers as we transition in to this digital age. Her passion is to produce knowledgeable citizens who are civically minded and actively engaged in their community. She is currently working on a project where our Judson ISD students will be able to serve as poll workers for the November election. She feels it is important to get people involved in the voting process to increase their awareness of the political landscape.
Aida Pena, Bilingual Program Specialist
Ms. Pena has worked in education for 23 years, beginning her career in Los Angeles Unified School District. She has provided service to students in special education for 10 years, general education for 4 years and 9 years in bilingual education. She has experience as a para-professional, teacher, instructional coach and director. Mrs. Pena graduated from California State University of Northridge in 2007 with a Bachelor’s Degree in Liberal Arts and a minor in Language & Diversity. She graduated from Texas A&M San Antonio in 2018 with a Master’s Degree in Educational Leadership. Aida loves the Judson ISD community and to be at service of others and is passionate about education and helping all students and educators succeed.