The Eagles' Nest January 30, 2023
The Community Newsletter of EXCEL Academy PCS
THE COMMUNITY NEWSLETTER OF EXCEL ACADEMY PCS
HERE COMES FEBRUARY!
- Black History Month begins February 1st and is always a festive time at EXCEL. Scholars will have classroom-based activities that infuse instruction about the history and culture of Black Americans. Additionally, we will have fun facts for students and staff sprinkled throughout the month.
- IB Learner Profile of the Month: COMMUNICATOR: We are coming upon the conclusion of the month of the "Thinker," and are moving toward the Learner Profile of "Communicator." Students who are Communicators understand and express ideas and information confidently and creatively in more than one language and in a variety of modes of communication. They work effectively and willingly in collaboration with others. Please encourage your scholars to be effective communicators as you discuss their school day/week with them.
- National Wear Red Day: Friday, February 3rd is National Wear Red Day. On this day, people wear red to show their support for the awareness of heart disease and stroke, particularly for women. And during Black History Month it is an even bigger focus, as Black adults are more than twice as likely to be hospitalized for heart failure. On this day, we will wear red to recognize someone we love who has been impacted by heart disease and use hearts across the building to "communicate" that support to our community. More details coming.
- The 100th Day of School: Barring any school closures the 100th day of school is scheduled for February 7th. On this day our scholars, particularly in the primary grades, celebrate the number 100 in various ways (including dressing up like 100-year-old-people!) Parents should keep their eyes open for information from their teachers.
- Valentines' Day/Kindness Day: February 14th is generally known as Valentine's Day but on February 17th, we will be recognizing Kindness Day at school. The idea behind this holiday is to make the world a better place by spreading a little light around and to make kindness a part of our everyday lives.
- 2nd Quarter Awards: The second Quarter Awards Program is scheduled for Friday, February 17th. Once again, we will be celebrating our scholars who have demonstrated EXCELlence in character, academics, and attendance. Parents of the awardees will receive an invite, but PLEASE BE SURE to check your scholar's report card when it is released to confirm.
MARYLAND SPRING 2022 MCAP SCORES RELEASED! 📈
This week the state of Maryland released the MCAP scores for the spring semester of 2022.
- Overall, we are pleased with our scholars progress in some areas, while still concerned in others. Our trends mirror those in both PGCPS and the state (Dr. Goldson's email about the scores is attached below).
- Given the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic and the resulting interruptions to in-person-learning, we are not surprised at the data, particularly in Mathematics. As you know, we have already begun to address mathematics proficiency through various interventions like our Level-Up Summer Camp, our current Saturday Academy, and the shifting our our Math curriculum in K-5th grade.
Here are some highlights not captured in the charts below:
- ELA: In grades 3, 7, and 8 our students scored on par with PGCPS and outperformed PGCPS in grades 4 and 6, rivaling state performance levels.
- Math - was problematic as expected, but 4th grade Math ALSO outperformed PGCPS and was .7% points away from the state performance.
Take a look at the data chart below to see our overall performance and how we compared to PGCPS. More details will be shared at our SEED/EXCEL Board meeting in March.
In the meantime, please join me in congratulating this amazing, resilient staff who taught their way through this historic academic malaise and were still able to make academic gains in some manner! Although we know we still have work to do, we are proud of the growth we did make!
BY POPULAR DEMAND:EXCEL-LING IN THE KITCHEN IS BACK!
If you have any questions about substitutions (prior to us cooking) please contact Mrs. Reese at firstname.lastname@example.org. Happy cooking! We can’t wait to have you EXCEL-ing In The Kitchen with us!
FIELD TRIPS AND VOLUNTEERS 🚌
Our scholars have been excited to participate in field trips this month. We still have two remaining trips in the near future, one for 4th grade to the Seneca Schoolhouse on January 30th and 31st, and one for our K-2nd grade scholars to the Kennedy Center on February 6th. Remember, all chaperones must be cleared to volunteer through PGCPS i order to participate - no exceptions. Volunteers must complete an online volunteer application. All school volunteers must renew their volunteer application every school year. Once approved, your eligibility as an approved volunteer will expire on June 30th of each academic year.
- If you have already received your approval, please notify your child's teacher of your desire to participate, then email Ms. Bennett-White with your VIN (Volunteer Identification Number) at email@example.com. Volunteers will NOT be able to chaperone without a VIN.
- If you would like to participate but have not yet received a VIN, please notify your child's teacher of your desire to participate, then go to the PGCPS "Become a Volunteer" page for information on required documents and to apply online. Please note it take approximately two weeks to be cleared and receive a VIN once all documents are submitted.
CHIPOTLE FUNDRAISER FOR SOCCER! 🌯 🌮 ⚽
(Because who doesn’t love a burrito, tacos, quesadilla, or a flavorful salad???)
On February 1st from 4-8pm, EXCEL's Athletics Department will be hosting a fundraiser at the Chipotle in Woodmore Towne Center. 100% of the proceeds will go towards the purchase of uniforms for our soon-coming soccer team!
Here's how you can support:
- Show the cashier the fundraiser flyer. Either hard copy or on your phone.
- If you don't have the flyer, you can tell the cashier you are here for the EXCEL Fundraiser.
- You can also order online for PICKUP using our special code, JFPCYW9. This does not apply to delivery orders.
Our goal is $2,000 in total sales. If we reach that goal, there will be a special surprise for all classes in the school.
Don't keep all this goodness to yourself - spread the word to all your friends & family! See you there!
NWEA MAP READING & MATH ASSESSMENTS BEGIN SOON 📊
Our final mid-year, content-area assessments begin the week of February 6th. Here are the dates and impacted grades:
- Week of February 6th:
- NWEA Reading, Grades 2-8;
- NWEA Science, Grades 5 and 8
- Week of February 13th:
- NWEA Math, Grades K-8
You will receive more details on your child's class schedule and dates. As usual, please ensure that your scholars are well-rested, fed, and in school on time so that they can do well on their assessments.
2ND QUARTER REPORT CARDS AND GRADE APPEAL WINDOW 🎓
- The 2nd Quarter report cards will be sent home with scholars on Wednesday, February 8th. Please look for them in your scholar's backpack.
- The grade appeal window for the second quarter opens on Thursday, February 9th and closes Wednesday, February 15th.
TUTOR ME IS AVAILABLE FOR PGCPS STUDENTS!📚
TutorMe is a FREE online tutoring platform available to our students. It provides 24/7 online tutoring that increases equitable access to personalized learning, supports teachers and students, and addresses learning loss. Their 1-on-1 tutoring gives students the tailored learning support they need to master concepts, build self-confidence, and excel academically. Features include live video and audio chat, asynchronous essay and paper review, and access through Clever.
To learn more about how to access Tutor Me or its features, please watch the student orientation below or click this link.
Click the button to see the current lunch menu as well as add money to your child's account.
*If you received notification that your child's lunch was paid through the Principal's Account, please send a NOTE with the money with your child when repaying so that the Nutrition Staff will allocate the money properly.*
Full Price Breakfast: $1.60 | $8.00 | $32.00
Full Price Lunch ES : $2.75| $13.75 | $55.00
Full Price Lunch MS : $3.00| $15.00 | $60.00
EXCEL Academy Family-Student Handbook SY2023
EXCEL Academy Public Charter School Parent / Student Handbook 2022-2023 LaTanya S. Sothern, Principal Monique Reese, Academic Facilitator School Contact information Address: 7910 Scott Road, Landover MD 20785 Phone: 301-925-2320 Email: excel.academypcs.org Website: excelacademypcs.org So...
A MESSAGE FROM OUR CHARTER OPERATOR, SEED, INC.🌱
We would like to thank the staff, parents, and especially our students who supported our recruitment events this week!
- On Saturday we met families at the PG School Choice Fair. Many thanks to Ms. Deanne Holton who held it down with Principal Sothern for the day!
- On Tuesday, we hosted an information Fair at Oxon Hill High School. We would like to thank Ms. Deanne Holton, Ms. Yvonne Henry, Ms. Kaiya Coleman, Ms. Dominique DeVonish, and Mrs. Carmen Wilson for answering questions and being all-around amazing to our visitors.
- On Saturday, we had a sign reveal at our 6700 Bock Road property. We were happy to see Delma and Meltina Gbonda, Jordan Mason, John and Chloe Norman, Maya Reese, Calvin Wilson, and their moms! We also were delighted to see Ms. Angela Dye, Mr. Alphonso Walker, and Ms. Monique Reese who represented the staff!
We have COMPLETED the last of our in-person recruitment events, but the lottery is still open! All interested families should apply for their scholars BY FEBRUARY 10TH!
If you have a student not yet enrolled at EXCEL but you would like for them to come, you must still fill out an application.If you have not already, it is imperative that you immediately contact your neighborhood school to get a student ID number, which takes a few days. Once you have the ID number, you will be eligible to submit an application to enroll your scholar with us.
- To identify your neighborhood school so you can get a student ID number, please go to https://gis.pgcps.org/schoolfinder/findschool2.asp.
- Once you have your student ID number, you will have to create an account with PGCPS to submit an application. Here is the link to create your account https://pgcpsmdc.scriborder.com/.
** All charter schools are free and open to all Prince George's County residents regardless of where you live in the county. **
Although we are excited to have had enough current families interested in transportation, we do not have any who have actually submitted an application. PLEASE NOTE THAT SUBMITTING YOUR APPLICATION ONLY DENOTES YOUR WILLINGNESS TO MOVE FORWARD - the deposit will not be due until the end of March. Again, if we do not get enough families who show interest it could impact the ability to have transportation. If you know you will be transitioning and will need it, please complete the application AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.
For more information on transportation, please contact the vendor directly using the information below:
- A&K Family Learning Place, Inc website and select EXCEL Academy: www.akfamilylearningplace.org
- Parents can email Ms. Kimberlyn Waterman with questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Parents can stop by Bowie Town Center (A&K Store Location) or call Kimberlyn Waterman @ 240-508-5561
EXCEL SCHOOL CALENDAR 1/30 - 2/12/2023 💘
- Monday, January 30th: 4th grade trip - Seneca Schoolhouse (Lyons' class)
- Tuesday, January 31st: 4th grade trip - Seneca Schoolhouse (Henry's class); EXCEL-ling in the Kitchen @ 6:00 pm
- Wednesday, February 1st: Black History Month begins; Chipotle fundraiser @ Woodmore Towne Center, 4-8 pm.
- Thursday, February 2nd: Family Market @ 2:00 pm
- Friday, February 3rd: National Wear Red Day: Scholars may wear a red top with their bottom of choice OR their uniform.
- Saturday, February 4th: SATURDAY ACADEMY (targeted students.)
- Monday, February 6th: K-2nd grade trip - Kennedy Center; NWEA MAP Reading - 5th & 6th grades
- Tuesday, February 7th: 100th Day of School; NWEA MAP Reading - 2nd, 7th, and 8th grades
- Wednesday, February 8th: 2nd Quarter Report Cards Released; NWEA MAP Reading - 3rd & 4th grades
- Thursday, February 9th: 2nd Quarter Grade Appeal window opens
- Friday, February 10th: NWEA MAP Science - 5th & 8th grades; PGCPS LOTTERY CLOSES
EXCEL ACADEMY PUBLIC CHARTER SCHOOL
Location: 7910 Scott Road, Hyattsville, MD, USA