AES Community Connection 5/31/22
Stay connected with our school newsletter...
Greetings AES Families!
Thank you for entrusting your children to our care. In addition to providing high quality education, safety and security are top priorities at AES. I have corresponded with many parents and caregivers in the past week and would like to update everyone on our current safety procedures and planned security upgrades. In addition, we are evaluating our current arrival, dismissal and recess procedures.
Current Safety Procedures:
- Front doors and all exterior doors are now closed and locked at all times
- All staff must wear photo ID badges
- Guests are required to check in at the main office to receive a visitor's badge
- Everyone is encouraged to report unknown or suspicious activity to school administration, School Resource Officers or Aspen Police Department
- Routine safety drills are conducted using Standard Response Protocol (see picture below)
- District Safety Team to review procedures
- SRO increased visibility on campus
Planned Facility Updates and Security Infrastructure:
- Front Office reconfiguation with security vestibule,
- Buzzers on main entrances and key card access on side doors,
- Improved exterior security cameras
- Automatic interior locking doors to shut down access to hallways and classrooms
- No access to classrooms from the outside doors
Tomorrow is Field Day and our annual AES BBQ. Special thanks to Tenille Folk and Elizabeth Ford, in our Food Services Department, for making this special event happen. See below for details including lunch times for each grade.
Only a handful of days until summer vacation! Thank you for prioritzing attendance until the end of the year.
All my best,
Recent Happenings Around AES
End of Year Family BBQ Tomorrow!
Cashiers will be set up on the plaza at the top of the stairs and the buffet lines will be set up at the bottom of the stairs. For wheelchair access, please check in at the main office and then proceed to the playground through the cafeteria.
11:10 to 1:00pm (Grade regular lunch Schedule)
* BURGERS (GLUTEN FREE)
* VEGGIE BURGERS (GLUTEN FREE)
*PICKLES- KETCHUP- TOPPING BAR
A Message from Lisa May
Parents and Caregivers! It is library book return time. Please scour those shelves for those books with the Aspen School District markings and have your students return them to the AES Library. If you discover books from the AES library over the summer, PLEASE save them and return them in the fall. Please do not take them to the Thrift Store.
Many thanks for a marvelous year with your students!
Ms. Lisa May
- April AES Lunch Menu
- The AES Student Handbook (Click here for Spanish) outlines expectations for our school.
- Aspen School District Absences and Excuses Policy (Click here for Spanish)
- AES Attendance (Click here for Spanish)
- Pre-Arranged Absence Form
- School Supplies and tech fees - Click here for more information.
- Please click HERE to see the staff's favorite things!
- Order SPIRIT WEAR anytime with this link!
Does your child ride the bus?
Bus Passes and Bus Changes:
If you need a new bus pass or want your child to catch a different bus home than usual, please visit the Transportation homepage. Links to the Bus Pass Replacement Form and the Bus Change Request Form can be found there. Students will not be allowed on a bus if they are not registered for a bus, and we will not be accepting handwritten notes or text messages from parents allowing students to ride a different bus.
As most of you know, there is a shortage of bus drivers and sporadically bus routes have to be cancelled. Please discuss a backup plan with your child for these scenarios. Sharing this plan with your child's teacher is always a good idea!
More community news...
Ajax Powered by Ivy Camps for Rising 4th & 5th Graders
Watch a great video HERE.
Click HERE for the flyer in English.
Click HERE for the flyer in Spanish.
Click HERE for the scholarship application in English.
Click HERE for the scholarship application in Spanish.
Rock & Roll Academy
Weekly Summer Camps Grades 4-12
June 27- August 12
Monday- Friday 10:00 am- 3:00 pm
Register with Kriss at 970-379-9685 or rockandrollroaringfork.com.
Click HERE for the flyer.
After School Pick-Up Reminders...
- If you walk up to the school, please meet your child on the plaza on the side of the building.
- Students in 3rd and 4th grade may walk to the "rock" at the edge of the parking lot on their own.
- Please remind your child if they have a pick-up change for the day.
- We will remind all students that they are to meet their pick-up adult on the plaza or by the rock.
Thank you! We are seeing a lot of congestion on the sidewalk as we are trying to load the buses. Your help is appreciated.
What do I do if my child has symptoms or exposure to COVID-19?
- Please continue to keep you child home if they have symptoms and seek a covid test. Please call the health office to report any positve cases or use the link below.
- Note the isolation period for positive cases is 5 days with improved symptoms. Rapid antigen testing prior to returning to school is recommended, but not requrired.
- Close contacts are not required to quarantine, but should monitor for symptoms and test 5 days following exposure. Contact Pitkin County Public Health for questions.
- Families will notified if clusters of postive cases occur within a classroom and Public Health recommends wearing K95 masks in this case.
- Click here to report at-home positive test results related to ASD.
- Click here to review the PCH Testing and Isolation Algorithm for schools (updated Jan)
- Click here to access Pitkin County Health's covid webpage for more information
- In order to return to school following non-Covid-19 illness a student should have resolution of symptoms for 24 hrs and documentation of a negative covid test should be shared with attendance at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Aspen Elementary SKIERS
At AES our essential agreements guide the way we behave and interact with others throughout our school in every setting. This year, we've adopted the SKIER acronym as a way to frame our essential agreements school wide. We hope that you will reinforce these positive attributes with your child at home.